NRS paddle float recall

I haven’t seen this posted yet; my apologies if it’s redundant.

U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 31, 2007

Release #07-201

Firm’s Recall Hotline: (877) 677-4327

CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772

CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Kayak Paddle Floats Recalled by NRS Due to Drowning Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: NRS Sea Kayak Paddle Floats

Units: About 1,000

Distributor: NRS, of Moscow, Idaho

Hazard: The plastic tubes used to inflate the paddle float could break and deflate, posing a drowning hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: NRS has received five reports of paddle floats breaking and deflating. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The NRS Sea Kayak Paddle Float is an inflatable device that is attached to one side of the paddle to help the kayaker re-enter the kayak in open water. The paddle float is yellow and black and measures 15" wide by 28" long, before inflation. The NRS logo is on one side. This recall involves those paddle floats with inflation tubes that are clear or translucent. Paddle floats with black tubes are not included.

Sold at: NRS stores nationwide and NRS catalogs from July 2006 through March 2007 for about $40.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the paddle floats immediately and contact NRS to determine if you have one of the recalled models. NRS will provide a free replacement paddle float for consumers with recalled units.

Consumer Contact: For more information, consumers should call NRS toll-free at (877) 677-4327 between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. PST Monday through Friday, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.nrsweb.com

To determine whether you have…
A defective one, bend the tube sharply. If it breaks, it’s (obviously) a bad float.

I called about mine and that was the instruction.

I had one of the bad ones…
and luckily, I spotted it while inflating it in my living room. My dealer took it back, with no questions asked, at which point, I bought a solid foam paddle float.