NRS Paddle Float

I bought one recently. I see how you cinch the float onto the paddle blade, but I don’t see how the webbing strap and buckle helps secure it to the paddle shaft. Do you keep wrapping it around until it’s tight, then buckle it? Straighten me out here.

inflatable or foam?

Yep

Question
Can you take that NRS paddle float off the paddle while still inflated?

I wrote an article appearing in Atlantic Coastal Kayker for June and I addressed this and really haven’t seen the NRS one.

thanks

haven’t seen the NRS?!
that’s like writing an article on cheese and saying you haven’t had cheddar!

Inflatable
It is an inflatable, one and I just don’t see how the web strap and buckle keep it attached to the paddle shaft.

Wrap around twice, then buckle…

Nope
Everybody is somewhat wrong. Sorry gang. While the buckles wrapped around tha shaft may make it more secure they are really there because the paddle float doubles as a drybag. If you are with a group, you won’t really need a paddle float (hopefully), so use it for keeping gear dry.

That…
makes more sense to me. I can see it being used as a dry bag. So the cinch is what holds it to the paddle shaft. 90% of the time I paddle with at least one other boat; I just like to have it in my boat just in case I am ever alone and too far from shore for a swim. Plus, I just like to spend my money on kayak stuff!!

Not according to NRS…

– Last Updated: Apr-25-07 11:22 PM EST –

Sorry, Nermal, but that's not correct.

The bottom of the float is mesh (which allows water to drain through it), so it wouldn't make a very effective dry bag! :)

The buckles are for holding the paddle float onto the blade. See the illustrations below:

http://www.nrsweb.com/touring/paddle_Float.asp

Drybag
Trust me. Seattle Sports builds a similar paddle float/dry bag combo. Like I said, the buckles help with keeping it on the paddle but anyone who’s inflated a paddle float will tell you that it is the bag being fully inflated which actually keeps it on the blade. Everything else is a safety back up.

Wildwasser makes the

– Last Updated: Apr-26-07 6:56 AM EST –

multi float- http://www.wildnet.com/tourgear.asp?nam=multifloat
which is a dry bag-a deck bag-and a paddle float all at once......
the dry bag part is separate from where the blade goes for a paddle float rescue so your gear does not get wet......
BUT
-you have to inflate the float....and you are inhaling into a tube that runs into the 'dry' storage.....if there is lots of water vapor in your breath (per usual) you will be forcing warm moist air into the bag.....

i use it for stuff that does not NEED to be kept completely dry-ie stuff already in wrappers.....but then i do not use it like a paddle flat anyhow....

NRS-i would not think that a float with a mesh bottom would be a good dry bag....
Seattle sports does not advertise theirs as a dry bag either........
r

You’re right.
Nobody should write an article on something that they are not the world’s foremost authority on.

My article is on the reenty and roll.

So which one is it?
So I have seen hundreds of these bags without mesh. I have several dozen of these things that do not have mesh. I’ve never seen an NRS paddle float with mesh. Who here has one of these paddle floats that actually has a mesh component? If NRS made an inline production change, then their float no longer doubles as a drybag but all the bags I have seen (hundreds!) have definitely had the secondary purpose as a dry bag.

I agree, if the bag has mesh, it’s not going to work.

Mesh bottom…
I didn’t even think about the mesh bottom. I guess it wouldn’t be a good dry bag after all. Perhaps a simple deck bag. I just plan to keep it rolled up and stowed behind my seat. The buckle keeps it in place strapped around the backband cords.

i must not have tried chedder either…
Because, I don’t think I’ve seen an NRS paddle float before either. I’ve had both a single and dual chamber paddle floats (different brands) and am familiar with the Northwater foam ones.

you have several DOZENS of them?
That’s mind boggling to me as I resent and hate having even one of them!

(I’m assuming you sell paddlefloats or something.)

donations
They are being donated to a adventure scout camp that leads trips on Lake Superior. I just haven’t boxed them up and shipped them yet.

This has nothing to do with how to use
…the paddle float but the statement:

“90% of the time I paddle with at least one other boat; I just like to have it in my boat just in case I am ever alone and too far from shore for a swim.”

It’s a very good idea. And might come in to save your life.

I’ve been on paddles that, when the weather turns (which is when capsize likely happen), the group scattered. Everyone was effectively on their own.

I learn not to hold too much on other member of the group to come to my aid. If they can, great. But I’d better have a way to make it ashore even if they can’t.

Dry Bag?
I thought this was about a paddle float. Don’t think it is a very good idea putting “stuff” in it and using as a dry bag, to many chances to puncture it. Get a dry bag for the “stuff”