Nutrition for Kayaking/Canoeing

Dear all,

Myself and my team are designing new gear for keen canoe/kayakers and are carrying out user research. If you have 2 minutes, please fill out a simple 10 question survey using the link below.

Many thanks,

Pete

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NB9KWGM

chocolate
and caramel

SPAM and Tang
Keps me a’goin’…

FE

PB & J, Oatmeal cookies, and…
“the Brides” magic munchies bars !

Jack L

Cinnamon rolls and OJ.
Honey buns work in a pinch.

And oranges.

Don’t forget the essential ingredient
Sea salt

Trail mix
Home-made of course, skip all the peanuts and stuff, just a bag of M&Ms really.

Marmite and Ensure
Only ages 16-64 are allowed to participate in the survey.

I guess if you’re 65 and over, you’re restricted to paddling in the fish pond at your nursing home.

Oops, I guess I should have looked
at the survey rules.

But if I go back and delete my response I’ll take out the one that posted under me, so I’ll just leave it there and go back to my rocking chair!

Jack L

It’s an odd survey…
I guess they don’t know that small camp stoves have already been invented. For trips where weigh is an issue, you can’t beat a Jetboil with freeze-dried food. Otherwise I prefer to bring fresh food in a small cooler. For day trips it’s a peanutbutter and fluff sandwich.

"On the water"
The last question said something about preparing food while on the water. That leads me to believe that they are trying to make a deck-top stove of some sort.

Seems like a hazard to me though.

doh!

instant oatmeal with

– Last Updated: Nov-04-14 10:40 AM EST –

weight gain powder. On trips I can never get satiated. In warm weather this might be the only meal I heat.

Water.

Trail mix, dried fruit, cheese, summer sausage, crackers - quick stuff. Sometimes I get pepperoni or another smoked or cured meat.

More water.

Dinner is dependent on what else I'm doing and who I'm traveling with, it can vary from homemade recipes to Mountain House dinners. Wine is good because I don't have to chill it or mix it with anything.

More water.

yes it was

– Last Updated: Nov-04-14 10:47 AM EST –

and thank you for reminding me to remind santa about the jetboil.

Rookie, You are showing your name.
If you only knew the amount of older paddlers out on the waters. My guess is that the majority are at least 50+. Most younger folks are more concerned about what style clothing they should be wearing or how fast their boat can go. Forget the common sense, they mainly wear only cotton, year round, even in colder northern states. There are stylish paddling clothes but much of what we wear is due more to common sense and being practical. I’ve kayaked over 20 years (got a late start kayaking but canoed before that) and some on this site, who graciously share their love and knowledge of paddling with others, have likely paddled 30, 40, or more years.

Those of us who are serious paddlers do it for the company (being with good friends), love nature and the peace and quiet it brings, prefer being outdoors, don’t throw trash into the water but pick up that of others (but, I do refuse to pick up nasty condoms floating about) leave our cell phones off and in the hatch (Yes, you can live without it. They’re with us only for emergencies.), don’t miss the TV or crowds at shopping centers, etc., etc.

BTW, welcome to the world of paddling. May you learn to love it. Even with the dirt and bugs that sometimes come with t.:slight_smile:

RELAX

– Last Updated: Nov-04-14 10:25 PM EST –

His comment was regarding the survey in the OP which only allowed you to select an age within that timeframe.
Did you have a comment on the OP or were you just skimming for something to fuss about?

Alas, shirlann

– Last Updated: Nov-04-14 11:33 PM EST –

Sarcasm doesn't come across well in forum postings.

Actually, I was rather surprised at the survey age cut-off, which is why I made the crack about nursing homes for the 65 & over gang, Marmite and Ensure.

I paddle up here in pristine Northern Michigan. The water is clean and clear. No condoms or debris to be seen, just the fish swimming below and the lake bottom. We have very active land conservancies and a deep respect for our natural treasures.

Perhaps if OP Pete and his team took a look at Meade Gougeon's track record, as an example, they would realize the limitations of their survey. We have plenty of senior paddlers up here, including a good number who run the Bear River whitewater park when the snow melts. Age is nothing but a mind-set.

Thank you for your good wishes. While very new to the sport, I'm quite passionate about it. But sad that winter is moving in and banishing me and my kayak to the local pool.

BTW, I'm a female rookie, love to go fast, but don't wear cotton. And am most grateful for all the good advice given here.

Thank you
Dear all,

Many thanks for all of your responses and posts, data and information has been taken on board.

We apologise if any offence has been caused by some of the limited options in the survey, in particular with regards to age brackets. Our reason for this is that the brand we are designing for tend to target the much younger audience. Information from most users is vital for us at this stage but I hope you now understand the reasons behind our age ‘cut-off’ in questions. Perhaps this should have been made clearer but we did not want to put people off from answering.

Thank you again for the time you took to fill out the survey, it is greatly appreciated!

Please do NOT think that the survey is now closed - anyone reading this who has not answered, please go ahead - it’s not too late!

Pete

Took
the survey, however I am thinking you are not seeing the responses for what they are.

You are reinventing the wheel.

Portable backpacking stoves have been around since portable food has been around. Originally made on sight like a pit fire but now there are probably 30-40 types of portable backpacking stove with fuels from esbit tabs to white gas and you can pick them up for anywhere from 5 bucks (USD) to into the 100’s (usd). All of them are perfectly functional for kayaking. If you want hot food, and no fire, the US mil MRE’s come with a heating pouch that is chemical only. Brits likely have the same or similar.

A one site, small example http://www.campmor.com/c/s/gear/stoves/backpacking

If you are talking food that you can eat cold or hot, again, been there done that. Having taken many multi day canoe and now kayak trips with people from 12 to 70, age means nothing at dinner, except the old guys like me make jumbalya on a pocket rocket while the kids make ramen noodles and keep looking at what smells good.

On a avg day, we are feet wet by 0730. Breakfast is oatmeal with dried fruit and a little dry milk. Coffee. Fill a flip top container with water and some MIO energy mix. Lunch is normally cold but sometimes is a dinner type meal at about noon. A vac sealed everything bagle, cheese, and summer sausage and coffee. Dinner is the biggie and after 8-10 hours on the water you need a filling hot meal. I make pasta or rice dishes. Chicken or shrimp alfredo, red beans and rice with burger, or jumbalya. Water out of a bladder mounted to the front deck all day long.

I wish you luck and hope that what you are planning hasnt been invented already. It is already a niche market, so what you have needs to be pretty inventive.

dang it
I can’t read this…I need a stronger prescription lens again.