NYD First Paddle of 2023

Who got on the water for NYD? Paddled ~ 5 miles on a local protected area. Air temps low 60s f. Water Temps ~ 40f. Saw only a handful boats all day.

4 Likes

My first thought was, what are you doing in NY? Duh. Looks like a nice day. We didn’t get sun until late afternoon.

2 Likes

A nice early spring day on Michigan’s Red Cedar. The water is low but, fortunately,has come up since last week. A couple of logs to portage and a few more to work around, over, or through. We made it up as far as we cared to paddle and then floated back. Just short of 2 hours on the river. It was good to get out.

3 Likes

Same here, String. No water for me. I biked for a couple of afternoon hours with a guy I refer to as “Superfreak”. He’s 85 and as lean and fast as most 30 year olds.
Came home, showered and ate the traditional NY meal and took the young grandsons for a walk in the park.

I envy the folks whose property is AT the water.

Paddle (from home) to join group for new year day club paddle.
St Johns, to and from was foggy, club paddle was on Cedar River - no fog.
Maybe it was just an illusion.

4 Likes

Had the tandem kayak out yesterday for a nice high tide paddle on the sound. Today will be sea kayak surfing at Folly Beach. Nice start to the year.

3 Likes

Had a nice, quick 5.4 mile paddle around the mouth of the Wolf River and into Delisle Bayou near Pass Christian MS.

Was looking for an elusive standing wave which is known to form when conditions are right, i.e. substantial rain runoff and an extreme flood tide. Both were modest at best yesterday so no standing wave. Still enjoyed a solo paddle in the low hanging clouds with some mixed fog and typical for this time of year, 50F water. Air temp barely reached 60F. Only saw three motorized fishermen as rain runoff made the main river light milk chocolate in color.

Edit: Ooops, forgot to bring a waterproof camera and too lazy to get the phone out of the day hatch & dry bag.

3 Likes

First paddle of the year

Got two good flower pots ironically made from ocean plastic.

Had to paddle awkwardly to avoid :wastebasket:

Water 45°F air 45-50.

Dragged my finger tips in the :sweat_drops::ocean::sweat_drops: :cold_face::cold_face::cold_face:

4 Likes

Just me in my kayak on the Providence River in Providence, RI. Family obligations kept me close to home. Definitely not wilderness.

Providence skyline
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72177720304911063

2 Likes

Foggy today but better than negative temps and gale force winds a week and a half ago when the river was frozen all the way across for first time in years. Near Milford MI.

3 Likes

Bad roads and bad weather. Decided to hit the trail

3 Likes

Medawgone, is that blue boat a Raven?

Very nice PD. I think my local river must have gone through a temperature inversion (or ?) since one of the things I found today was an unopened, half empty and unidentifiable can that looked like it had been submerged a long time. Those d*** Bud Light cans really piss me off since they stand out like beacons.

1 Like

Nice. Fog was thicker here than the pic suggests. I actually enjoyed being out among fishing boats where I’d hear voices in the mist long before I could see them. Kinda dreamy.

1 Like

Lots of junk from the storm a week ago. Marsh grass everywhere. Guy has two sea walks about 110 feet combined. Looks like grass was stacked on it on purpose. He was basketing it off the top. Ton of work for him.

Yes, it is an Eddyline Raven. I mainly paddle it in drysuit season. It has a bit more volume up front, than the rest of my fleet. I also own a Nordkapp LV, NDK Pilgrim Exp, Stellar Intrepid LV and a few LV RM kayaks.

I thought so. I also have a Raven and a few other boats…they seem to multiply :slight_smile:

1 Like

Enjoying a nice paddle in the warm Florida sun, the perfect way to start the new year!

2 Likes

Wish I was there.