ocean kayaking advice needed

I have a 12.6 Old Town Striper SOT Kayak. I’m a begginner and was wondering if this boat is sufficent for taking down to the beach (Topsail or OBX). I’d like to be able to launch from the surf as opposed to paddling the sound. Though I may do that as well. Any advice or general thoughts on my boat. I should say I’m a begginer in the paddling sport but zero time spent ocean kayaking. I’m not sure I’ll have time or money to invest in any type of lessons this year.

depends on lots of things
learning in surf on a SOT is not a bad way to go. You can just flip it upright and jump back on when you wreck. Depends a lot on the beach and conditions whether it’s doable or not. Assuming you know the anatomy of a surf zone, what a rip tide is, are a good swimmer, the water is not too cold and the waves are not dumping. I would also definitely not go alone.

I would go with the mindset that you ARE going to swim. I would even say go swim through the surf and back. If you are not comfortable swimming in surf, you shouldn’t be kayaking in it either.

ocean
Sit-on-tops are generally a fine choice for beach use. Be careful to launch well away from swimmers in case you fall off and your kayak comes in on a wave.

The biggest concern about safely paddling the ocean is…the ocean. It’s not so much a matter of paddling techniques as it is about understanding the conditions: surf, tides, currents, winds, temperatures, navigation rules, etc.

You do want to be sure you can right and remount your kayak in realistic conditions.

re
thanks for the info. I’m a good swimmer with general knowledge of the surf. I’ve been frequenting the ocean for years.

I’ll more than likely be kayaking solo as we have young kids and nobody to go with. I am just planning on putting out in the surf and staying right around the beach house. My wife would be at surf in sight of me. My goal is just getting familiar with the boat in the surf. Does this sound unreasonable for a first timer? Likly early morning when my kids are not yet awake.

I have a ten foot SOT
We took it to the outer banks, Ocean Isle, Kure Beach and others and have a ball playing with it in the surf.

One of my sons used to go way out and fish out of it.

It is as safe as you make it.

Just remember when a big breaker knocks you over, keep away from the boat. It will knock you for a loop. If you can’t grap it safely it is best to let the breaker take it into the shallows and then you can retrieve it.

Jack L

The scenario

– Last Updated: Jun-19-13 2:49 PM EST –

I'm a beginner mountain cyclist with department store bike and zero
time on big steep hills, jumps, skinny rails, rock gardens, etc.
No lessons, no pads, no helmet - should I go ?

Why is the water sooooo different than land....
the breathing underwater part is really really difficult.

thanks
sounds good- i’ve got kids to think about and a wife. so any bit of info is reassuring. much better than just jumping into it and overlooing something and making a major mistake.

thanks

huh

– Last Updated: Jun-19-13 3:16 PM EST –

i'm not sure how to take this message-- sounds like sarcasm. not sure the reasoning. are you suggesting this is an topic unworthy of discussion? OR are you suggesting my kayak is not up to ocean standards and i need lessons. if its sarcasm no need to repy-

ty
thanks, yes i’m very comfortable in the surf swimming. just making sure my boat is going to be able to handle the surf… sounds like it will do fine.

a few tips
I learned to kayak in the surf 20+ yrs ago and definitely got my A$$ kicked a few times. Including grabbing the loop in the rear toggle and promptly breaking my finger while a 1/4 mile from shore.

Keep yourself and your kids out of the way of the boat in the surf. I’ve seen people get taken out at the knees and need surgery from a kayak rolling in through the surf.

Never get between your boat and the beach, even when treading water next to it.

Stay well away from surfers.

Don’t leash yourself to your boat. At most leash your paddle.

Seriously consider getting a whitewater helmet if the surf is of any size.

good deal

– Last Updated: Jun-19-13 4:56 PM EST –

- i'm anxious to give it a go. Until I get some experience I'll be leaving the kids at the house while i work on my skills. But a great point about making sure they are not between the kayak and the sand. I def want to get some time in under my belt before i get them involved in this fun. thanks again

Beware of Inlets
Water can move really fast as the tide pushes in or out an inlet; faster than you can paddle. If you choose to paddle an inlet, time it so you’re paddling with the flow, or better yet at slack tide… no flow.

Some Advice

– Last Updated: Jun-19-13 6:00 PM EST –

What you are suggesting is safe as long as the waves are small, say up to 3 or 4 feet, and most likely they will be a lot lower.

You can get NWS surf forecasts for the region you will be at and get specific surf forecasts for the given beach from surfline.com.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/displayprod.php?product=RDUSRFILM

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/topsail-beach-southeast_5253/

http://www.surfline.com/surf-forecasts/southeast/north-carolina-outer-banks_2150

If you are going to play in the waves wear a helmet, and PFD don't get between the beach and your boat when there are incoming waves. Stay away from surfers and swimmers.

Check out www.sit-on-topkayaking.com more useful information for SOT paddlers. Also in the forum there someone posted several youtube videos on handling the surfzone in an SOT.

Some Direct Advice

– Last Updated: Jun-19-13 6:04 PM EST –

What you are suggesting is safe as long as the waves are small, say up to 3 or 4 feet, and most likely they will be a lot lower. Heavy winds in an SOT are not fun, so don't plan on paddling in higher than 15 kt winds. Watch out for very strong off shore winds that can blow you out to sea.

You can get NWS surf forecasts for the region you will be at and get specific surf forecasts for the given beach from surfline.com.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/displayprod.php?product=RDUSRFILM

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/topsail-beach-southeast_5253/

http://www.surfline.com/surf-forecasts/southeast/north-carolina-outer-banks_2150

If you are going to play in the waves wear a helmet, and PFD don't get between the beach and your boat when there are incoming waves. Stay away from surfers and swimmers.

Check out www.sit-on-topkayaking.com more useful information for SOT paddlers. Also in the forum there someone posted several youtube videos on handling the surfzone in an SOT.

great info
thanks

Best. Advice. Ever.
“Never get between your boat and the beach, even when treading water next to it.”

Amen.

Also…
Sorry to be Captain Obvious but be sure to WEAR your PFD.

Definitely start on the small waves and get a feel for manuvering in the surf zone. At first, going OUT is much more fun than coming back in - you have much more control.

Always brace into the wave but be prepared to quickly counter-brace shoreside once the wave passes.

Some waves are just not meant to be surfed. Steep, dumping waves are particularly rough. Watch the waves and look for patterns. I once pitchpoled a Prijon Yukon when such a wave surprised me. It gave me a great ride for a few seconds, then the bow plunged, the wave pushed me over it, and I went face-first into the sand. My pride and shoulder were hurt (and Rhode island’s sand tastes awful). Lucky I had a buddy to help empty the boat out - it was very full and heavy. Even luckier I didn’t literally break my neck.

Your boat should be a good one to learn on. Have fun but don’t get cocky. If the surf is big, stick to the sound-side!

Three things
1) Join the Carolina Kayak Club

2) Get a helmet

3) Add surf leashes- the beaches get crowded and your boat could harm others. With the leashes you can hold on without breaking your fingers.

Also …
These are a little dry … but this guy has good advice …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7KpzM9fbKI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUdECxI3DwBWQVaQRicvkx4Q

There are two other videos that follow.

You are more the issue than the boat
At lower levels of surf, many very basic craft will handle it just fine. You have some good advice above from people about what those conditions are. Do note one thing - it is considerably easier going out thru surf than getting in again without capsizing. If you find this out the hard way, make sure you are never, never between the boat and the beach. A SOT propelled by waves can do major damages to your head. And stay clear of any area where surf boarders are while you are figuring out how to control the boat.

We have seen people at the Narrows in RI, in an area of the beach away from the boardies, spend most of the day paddling out and capsizing back in. They seemed to be having a good time. But if your goal is to have control, you may want to look around for some basic lessons on how to handle waves.