Oceanbroad paddle yay nay?

Looking to get first paddle for my new to me used sit in old town Dirigo 120. 27.75 inch wide, I am right at 5”11/6 foot tall from my understanding it’s a 220 cm or 86 Inch paddle that would fit me best. Can get a paddle oceanbroad on Amazon for $32.00 new. 2.4 lbs. also would Consider a higher quality Used paddle since my kayak only cost me $275.00

Paddles are a place where it is worth spending money for lighter. You spend your whole time addling holding the paddle up, so lowering the weight makes a big difference.

Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all guideline. 220 likely would work for you, but we won’t know until you try.

I usually recommend something along the line of a Werner straight shaft 2 piece paddle, such as a Camano or Shuna as good first paddles for flat water. They are about 1.7 pounds. But they run some $300 new, so might be beyond what you want to pay.

I would stay away from aluminum shafts. They’re either too heavy or they’re too thin and easily bent; and once bent, that’s it. And they’re cold! I’d also suggest going for a two-piece rather than one - so much easier to transport and store.
I have a Camano for more relaxed low angle paddling and a Shuna for more energetic high-angle paddling. I like them both, but as @Peter-CA says, they are expensive. Very serviceable paddles are available for much for less. For example:

I have one of the Oceanbroad paddles, just for a backup though. The suggestions above are much better for a primary.

Aquabound makes a variety of very serviceable paddles that won’t break the bank. Plastic blades with fiberglass shafts, or carbon shafts, and more.

3 Likes

Try to buy a used carbon paddle. Got my Werner for $150. Weighs 750 grams.

1 Like

This probably goes without saying (at least I hope so), but don’t forget to set aside $ for a good PFD when planning expenditures.

The weight of the paddle is only one of the specifications to look at. Size is second. The more square inches the more thrust the blades can produce. For your size and weight I’d go 100 to 110 square inch blades. You have a 12’ kayak which is perfect for lakes and slower rivers. You’ll overpower a shorter kayak and get speed robbing wiggle. 220 CM is good for a high angle paddle. For a hybrid or low angle paddle you’ll want a 230 CM. Deflection is the power robber of all paddles because you are overpowering the blades. If you can easily bend the end of the blades with your hand that’s exactly what will happen when water is pushing against it and the water will go straight off the end… Keeping the water behind the blades will always produce more forward thrust. Your arms are probably longer than average so I’d lean towards the 230 Cm. The sales happen in the fall but I’d look at paddles in the 100 to 200 dollar range. The cheaper paddles may not live up to your expectations. I have several Werners and one Aquabound. The Carlisle Tripper from Old Town works well for a cheaper paddle. Don’t overlook Werners whitewater Powerhouse 220. I don’t own a whitewater kayak but it’s my favorite for rivers.

I agree with @Plittleone , 230 would be my first guess too.
Blade area and stiffness are important too. If you are fortunate enough to have a good paddle shop nearby, head on down and take a look. Find the most knowledgeable kayak person on staff and ask a lot of questions. They should have a good selection this time of year so will be less inclined to try to sell you whatever they have left.

We have REI, travel country. Dicks And academy sporting goods stores. For my purposes above, should I be looking at a straight and or bent paddle?

I doubt you’ll find sales help with specific paddling knowledge at Dick’s or Academy. They’re way more into sneakers, and paddling seems like an afterthought. I’m not familiar with Travel Country, but I see they carry Accent and Cannon (same company), and Werner. They’re good brands. Same with REI. They have Bending Branches, Aqua Bound and Werner. Again, proven brands. All offer a range of low-angle paddles suitable for recreational use. The challenge is to find experienced help who can assist with proper sizing and give you good answers to your questions. Maybe you can visit both?
As far as the shaft is concerned, I’d go for a two-piece model with a carbon/carbon blend shaft if you’re OK paying a bit more to save some weight. Otherwise choose a fiberglass shaft over aluminum.
For blade materials, all-nylon is too flexible IMO (see @Plittleone 's comment on deflection, above). Fiberglass reinforced nylon is much better and is more than capable in most recreational and touring applications. Some paddles use other blade materials (ABS, polypropylene) but I’d stick with fiberglass reinforced nylon at this price point. All-glass blades such as those offered on the Werner Camano and Aqua Bound Tango are stiffer still, but they’re getting up there in price. Full carbon (shaft and blades) are at the top of the price range. Personally, I don’t think they’re worth the cost for most recreational users. I also prefer blades in high visibility colors (not black) for an extra margin safety when sharing water with power boaters. As has been suggested, however, a good used carbon paddle at a good price would be worth a look.
My experience with bent vs straight shaft is mixed. I have an older bent shaft Werner Camano with a fiberglass shaft and blade, so it’s a bit on the heavy side. I happily used it for several years and still do occasionally, but over time I have mostly migrated to lighter straight shaft paddles. A paddling partner with weak wrists also had an older bent shaft Camano. A couple of years ago she switched to an Accent Lania ($160 MSRP) Lanai 2-Piece Kayak Paddle and is quite happy with it. At 1lb 14oz, it’s almost as light as some full carbon options. My current thinking is that a bent shaft isn’t worth the extra weight or extra cost. Instead, I think the better investment is to work on proper paddling technique. There are many good videos showing how to use core muscles and minimize arm, wrist and shoulder fatigue.
Bottom line? From what I see out there now, I like the Cannon Nokomis Hybrid available from Backcountry for $112 or the $70 Cannon Exporer for a more budget-friendly alternative (free shipping on both). That said, if you can get a reasonably competitive price at Travel Country, I’d go for it. I prefer to support local stores whenever I can.

Bent vs straight shaft is purely personal preference. Some people find a bent shaft easier on the wrists, but you have to try both for several hours to know what you prefer.

I will say that I know almost no one using a bent shaft today. More people seem to be going back to unfeathered paddles as well. Again, a personal preference issue.

I checked out the Lanai mentioned in the Buffalo Alice comment. Several common problems with paddle ads are present. No size was given. How many square inches? No type was listed. Is it High Angle, Low Angle or something else? What is it made out of? Many manufacturers have the habit of not properly listing what they are selling. The solution to that problem is to look elsewhere.

1 Like

I just checked the add again and you have to click on spec or description to learn more. That info should be upfront and not hidden. 93 square inches is a mid-size and too small for heavier paddlers. The customer has to know what he or she is looking for and the manufacturer and sales departments should be listing the specs in the add and not require you to click on a box. Some do and some don’t. There’s no standardization in advertising.

1 Like

Given the lanai paddle is on sale for $111.00 plus tax compared to $150.00… do you happen to know of a paddle around same price point which meets the criteria you recommended… such as square blade, 100-110 cm blade, nylon/glass blade ect ?

How about this paddle here?
https://www.backcountry.com/carlisle-paddles-magic-plus-fiberglass-shaft-paddle

Low angle, fiberglass/nylon blade, carbon shaft, 1 lb 14 oz.
At 93 sq in, it’s about 7% less surface area than the Werner Camano. Insignificant, IMO, for those just starting out.

Nothing seriously wrong with the Carlisle Magic Plus specs. It has a very large blade (130 sq in), is relatively heavy (2 lb 8 oz), and costs $14 more.