OH KNOTS!

The Famous "Granny"
If you spend time with newbies like I do, you’ll see knots that aren’t in any book.

Double secret bowline???

– Last Updated: Jan-08-08 5:29 PM EST –

I know the bowline, the double bowline or french bowline, and the bowline-on-a-bight, but never heard of a double secret bowline :) That must be why it's secret.

Great Responses!
Wow, I am impressed with the help & advice. Thanks to everyone. At this point I am considering 6 knots that should do most everything I can think I will encounter.

#1- Bowline

#2- Figure 8

#3- Half/2 Half hitches

#4- Clove hitch

#5- Clove hitch over bar

#6- Anchor bend

As a kid we always were out on the water in my Dad’s power boats. Those times also included many camping trips from the age of 9 months up. All that outdoor experience and I don’t recall even one knot! Maybe I did in fact know some but have long since forgotten them. I now have 2 pieces of rope on my desk and a lot of great suggestions to practice on. Thanks again.

Make sure each has a purpose
For example, I use:

Taut line hitch when I want a know that will tighten up for things like a tent line or a bow/stern safety line on the trailer.

Trucker’s hitch to tie kayak to the trailer.

Figure 8 on a bight to tie things into a caribeaner or anytime I need a secure loop.

Bowline when I need a know that won’t slip/tighten up on me

Sheet bend to join different sized lines or tie a tarp to a line.

jim

if you have to put contant stress
on a sheet bend to keep it tight you are probably not tying it correctly—shouldn’t have to do that–and the problem with a square knot is when you do put constant stress on it, it does come apart.

not designed
please allow me to restate – using a square knot where constant stress in involved is an improper use of the square knot.

The sheet bend, in my opinion, falls into a “so what?” category as the same result with greater reliability can be accomplished with two bowlines.

sheet bend
for me its always been easier to tie one knot than two separate ones—I used to use two bowlines to tie two lines togather then I learned how to tie a sheetbend

On a power boat
all most people need to know how to do is wrap a line around a dock cleat.

Jims Double-Secret Bowline
is a knot I say in an old British climbing book. Harder to describe than to tie, I will attempt a description.

First tie a standard bowline. Then turn it over.

Thread the free end over and to the outside of the loop. Thread the free end under the loop, back through the loop, and then up through the hole.

You should end up with the free end parallel to the “tree”.

If you cannot get it right I can send a picture. I really like this knot as it is quick to tie, secure against loostening, yet is easy to untie.

Jim

QR versions
As much as I like to make fun of Clif Jacobson and his exclaimation points (!) I ahve to admit that he has a good suggestion in finishing off some knots with quick releases. Taughtline hitches, two half-hitches etc that have been under stress, and especially when wet, are much easier to untie when QR-equipped.

Jim!

Please post pic
- guess I need one :slight_smile:

I use a standard Bowline - and would like to try your ‘Double-Secret’

Thanks, Gwen

For finishing the ends of lines
Whipping knot.

For some of my lines I still just melt the ends with a match.

For a nicer job I sometimes now go to the much improved hot butter knife. Involves a pot holder mitt and propane torch.

Then for a really nice job, whipping twine and the whipping knot. I like to use a needle to go though the main line once, with the tag end of the whipping twine that is at the bottom of the picture at the link below. Google ‘whipping knot’ and ‘whipping knot needle’ will bring up other variations. Whipping twine can be bought at West Marine.

http://www.inquiry.net/images/whip.jpg

Paul

Normally bowline is secure enough for me
but with some types of line, it doesn’t work well - like that cheap plasticky bright yellow braided stuff you get at the hardware store. Your double-secret bowline might be a solution for that.

slick knot

with nylon line
1) heat scissors

2) snip

tauteline hitch
is my go to knot.

Here’s

– Last Updated: Jan-09-08 9:40 PM EST –

one of my favorite knots....add it to your lists

It's a perfectly balanced knot.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Homesteading-and-Self-Reliance/1980-01-01/The-Forgotten-Zeppelin-Knot.aspx

Best Wishes
Roy

The

– Last Updated: Jan-10-08 5:39 AM EST –

locking bowline works with the plastic rope.

the rabit goes up thu the hole then around the double side of the loop and up thru the hole again....then around the tree and back down the hole

Best Wishes
Roy

Pic is on my Grovestreet page
http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picview.jsp?album=87856

Jim

Thanks! NM