Oh No!, they're evolving, from water to land...

“Man spotted riding ‘jet ski’ around Jacksonville roads”
https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida-man-beats-the-heat-with-makeshift-jet-ski-scooter

What next, wings?

Lake lice morphing into road lice!

I bet they don’t obey the rules of the road either. :smiley:

On land they are called targets.

Looks uncomfortable at stop lights.

Honestly, I’d much rather see these than the bunch of big SUV’s I see going around city streets with one driver in it and no cargo.

Lice to mosquito? :open_mouth:

sing

Land or sea, they’ve still got nasty exhaust.

@Yanoer said:

Try biking every day, next to the lines of traffic, comprised mostly of SUVs and mini-vans crawling along city streets. :frowning:

WELCOME TO FLORIDA!

Yup, sea lice transform to land crabs…

Local news report informs that the damn thing is legal: has a license plate, a taillight, and the driver’s wearing s helmet (although we’re a helmet-optional state.)

I suppose it’s just s really odd motorsikkle…

Bit not something I’d like to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Ugh! Really bad idea, even if it is legal.

The local news did a story on the guy who built this. This one is just a regular (street legal) scooter installed in a hole cut in the bottom of a jetski (which can no longer float, obviously). It’s basically just a fancy fairing with added lights and license plate. Fine with me. One less to deal with on the water…
Greg

@Yanoer said:
It’s a Honda scooter with a 4 stroke engine that is smaller than the Honda engine on my lawnmower. The carbon footprint is smaller than an electric car.

@string said:
Anyone that has spent time in traffic on two wheels already knows that they are a target…like paddling a canoe or kayak among power boaters.

Scooter gangs are cool!

@TomL said:

@Yanoer said:
It’s a Honda scooter with a 4 stroke engine that is smaller than the Honda engine on my lawnmower. The carbon footprint is smaller than an electric car.

@string said:
Anyone that has spent time in traffic on two wheels already knows that they are a target…like paddling a canoe or kayak among power boaters.

Scooter gangs are cool!

In Boston, ditto for for electric scooters, electric bikes, bikes, electric and standard skateboards, skates, etc. Anything that reduces the crazy traffic, accidents and road rage. We get all these suburban drivers groaning and moaning about the crowded streets in Boston and saying how all non-auto transports should be off the road because the “streets” are not built for them. Wrong. Boston streets were never built for cars in the first place. I love it when these suburban drivers claim that they pay for maintenance of the streets and that I don’t as bike rider. No, dude, I am a longtime Boston homeowner and pay for Boston’s streets and safety services through my property taxes.

Yesterday, we had a tow driver running over a elderly woman at a busy intersection in a nearby town. The woman’s son jumped into truck and stabed the driver multiple times. Yesterday as well, a women in car intentionally bumed into a honda scooter with a driver and passenger because the scooter was “going too slow” (never mind the speed limit in the city is 25 MPH for a reason). When the scooter rider stood in front of the car to voice his displeasure, she proceeded to try to run him and the passenger over.

More drivers. More distracted driving (texting). More accidents. More road rage. That’s been the trend here in Boston.

sing

I have read that when muskrat populations get too large, they start killing each other. Maybe there is a correlation.

@string said:
I have read that when muskrat populations get too large, they start killing each other. Maybe there is a correlation.

Probably spot on. And, whoever survives the “Abel and Cain” fight will likely be offed by Mother Nature at some point as the unsustainable parasites that we are on this planet.

sing

Well sing, it sounds like a toxic environment. My wife and I are from the Chicago area which I think is similar to Boston; the traffic may not be quite as bad but on the other hand you may be more likely to get shot while just cruising down the freeway.

St Joseph is a small town and I can get into pure rural areas in less than half a mile from our house. At rural intersections with stop signs your only frustration might be that everyone else is politely waiting for you to go even when it’s not your turn. Around here if you see someone driving like a schmuck everyone assumes it’s a tourist (apparently in a hurry to relax). If you are driving behind someone on an otherwise-deserted rural road and they need to turn left they will often put on their turn signal and pull into the oncoming lane before they slow down to make their turn…just so you can continue on your way without braking for them. I remember when we got a new radio announcer (apparently from an urban area) that saw this for the first time and absolutely freaked out since he could not believe that other drivers would go out of their way to be polite to someone.

@TomL said:
Well sing, it sounds like a toxic environment. My wife and I are from the Chicago area which I think is similar to Boston; the traffic may not be quite as bad but on the other hand you may be more likely to get shot while just cruising down the freeway.

St Joseph is a small town and I can get into pure rural areas in less than half a mile from our house. At rural intersections with stop signs your only frustration might be that everyone else is politely waiting for you to go even when it’s not your turn. Around here if you see someone driving like a schmuck everyone assumes it’s a tourist (apparently in a hurry to relax). If you are driving behind someone on an otherwise-deserted rural road and they need to turn left they will often put on their turn signal and pull into the oncoming lane before they slow down to make their turn…just so you can continue on your way without braking for them. I remember when we got a new radio announcer (apparently from an urban area) that saw this for the first time and absolutely freaked out since he could not believe that other drivers would go out of their way to be polite to someone.

Boston - a dubious distinction but likely accurate ranking:

https://www.masslive.com/news/boston/index.ssf/2018/07/study_ranks_boston_as_one_of_w.html

sing

Go ahead, Slap a faux jet ski shell over it. Either way it’s a good thing for the Boston area if we persuade more drivers out of their cars. Maybe, the ability to pedal, without great initial challenge and sweat ,will actually lead to folks getting more physical conditioning and appreciation of being out and around and interacting with the environment. (Yeah, probably too much to expect…)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/globelocal/2018/09/21/bikes-join-lime-bicycle-sharing-fleet/GRmjwiVoDmTpkCbTRvieEJ/story.html

sing

The next will likely be air. The technology could really bring enjoyment and thrill to the next level of excitement. I hope to ride something different soon and experience such evolution.

@kerlino said:
The next will likely be air. The technology could really bring enjoyment and thrill to the next level of excitement. I hope to ride something different soon and experience such evolution.

Here you go. Be safe - wear appropriate PFD/parachute and flight/immersion suit:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/fe/df/8cfedf702883e1b612f619b7e931c18e.jpg

sing