ok. fess up on speed

mmmm, kale…
as much fiber as raw twine, anything this unpalatable must be rocking good for you. i have such a love hate relationship with kale, i take photos of it when i eat it and send it to friends.

kale and beans
A brazilian national dish is feijoada. A very thick black bean stew that contains various cuts of pork and beef (not necessarily the best cuts either), rice, orange slices on the side to cut through some of the grease, manioc flour and lots of yummy kale. Lots of other side dishes along with it. Similiar origins to ham hocks and black eyed peas I think. Do a google on feijoada someday.

So beanie weenies and kale seem to have some historical merit?

:slight_smile:

Paul

No, no.
16 knots, not 16 knots per hour!

Do you have to eat kale during these two hours?

Not Surprised
That is great news Jack, congrats to Canoenut! He is amazing.

Mark

Speed? Never tried it!
Heard something about it not being a good idea for anyone with heart issues! :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, having owned both very slow (Hobie Mirage Sport 9’6" pedal/paddle) and a little faster (Kevlar Impex Susquehanna/Diamante) boats, and having tried both Euro-style (Sting Ray) and GP style paddles, I’ve come to the conclusion that either I simply will NEVER get the hang of proper paddling technique, OR, I am just plain S-L-O-W!!

I do work out regularly, and am in pretty decent shape for my age.

Carol and I were out one day at Cocoa Beach with the Hobies, and some guy came flying past us in a long, skinny carbon fiber boat, towing a canoe with his wife and two kids in it.

As he passed, he asked “Wanna race?”

Another day, when out in our Impex boats, we came on a group of (obviously) FAR less fit persons than ourselves in short, SOT boats.

We paddled along with them for a while and noted that they had NO problem at all staying at our pace!

This, plus the lower back issues I just can’t seem to work around in my SINK boats has convinced me to go back to a decent SOT boat to enjoy the enhanced stability, and ease of mounting and dismounting.

For those of you who DO “get it”: you have my congratulations and awe!

Bob

Quantifying intangibles
I’ve never used a GPS. Is there a setting on that thing that tells you how much fun you’re having?

SOF results

– Last Updated: Aug-16-07 8:47 AM EST –

beam wind so fought it coming and going. 4.65 miles in the "Hunter" SOF. running 5.2 mph out there and 4.8/9 on the way back. had to really push myself to keep the number at 5.0 mph as the average.
The wind picked up on the way back I swear. :)

Not sure I could have maintained the 5 mph for 5 miles though. maybe but I would need a long nap.

Paul

yup
when you hit 12 going down a wave, you’re having fun…

af

I want a wing paddle!
well at least I want to try one out someday.

Pual

I was just about to post…
Looking at your times and the boat(s) that you are

doing them in that if you were paddling a Epic 18 or a QCC-700 with a wing paddle you would be flirting with 6MPH for five or six miles.

Cheers,

JackL

Hi Jack
TrippS has a QCC and I have the OI. I borrowed Greyaks wing in the first 6 months of my starting to paddle and couldn’t make heads or tails of it. Would like to try one out now for a few weeks.

I do have a Cory Wreken Werner with a big honkin blade that i am thinking of tryingjust to see how it would do. (have only used it while trying to surf a bit)

I can’t wait to try out the Night Heron with the GPs. I think it is going to surprise me.

Going to Lake Jocasse for an overnight camping trip this weekend so the speed trials will commence again next week.

paul

This is a good question…
I think that many may inflate their speeds a bit…

I always paddle with a GPS. I generally paddle 3-4 times per week and consider myself a descent paddler with a good stroke.

With my GP which is a fairly efficient boat I can maintain about 5.2-5.5 mph using my GPS. My “average speed” ends up being lower because I stop to roll, get a drink , do bow rudders, side slips, etc…I like to mess around on the water.

But I pay a lot of attention to my cruising speed (I find a GPS a good tool to help to evaluate stroke, etc) and I can maintain 5.2 mph pretty much infefinitely in my GP (4.5 knotts).

My Explorer can hold about the same speeds, but it takes a bit more effort so over the long haul I could probably not keep up the same pace.

I would really like to be able to hold 6 mph, but there is just no way I could do it in my current boats. Perhaps in a more “race-oriented” boat.

I personally think that most touring boats really max out around 5.5mph sustainable speed for a descently fit paddler. Much faster than that and you start to hit the wall…regardless of how fit you are.

Matt

Only time I had a GPS

– Last Updated: Aug-16-07 9:32 PM EST –

I was racing a guy in a shell. He had a GPS and clocked our time/distance.

We raced 1.5 miles at an average of 6.5mph. We also did a 100yd sprint and hit 8.5mph. I was "balls to the wall" max'd OUT in both races. He got me on the 1.5-miler by about 50 yds. We crossed the sprint finish bow to bow.

I was paddling my CD Extreme with a Proma carbon wing paddle from Belarus. We were paddling on a flat-water lake into a moderate breeze.

for someone used to a GP
what size wing paddle would anyone recommend?

Get a “Epic length lock"
and get it from 210 to 220.

If you buy a fixed length one, you won’t be able to fine tune the length, and believe me you will be tinkering with the length a lot the first year that you have it.

I am 5’-9” and have gradually brought it down to where I think it will finally stay at 213-1/2.

Cheers,

JackL

Hey jack

– Last Updated: Aug-17-07 3:13 PM EST –

I'll trade you a GL for one of your wings?

maybe i need to call Pat...

Paul

i have a used one for sale
carbon. db paddles. adjustable. excellent condition. $250 obo (new 350)very nice. i just have 4 wings.

andrew

I would grab Andrew’s offer below
Pat makes a fantastic ultra light wing paddle.

My wife has one and I would love to have one, but

I sent his adjustable length one back. It adjusts like the old tent poles used to and all you do is fight with it to get it to the feather and length that you want.

He has been promising me for two years now that he is going to get a screw type ferrule like the one he built for her, but I have basically given up waiting.

See if you can beg borrow or steal a wing, and then come to the Mountain Island Challenge in Charlote next month and give Canunut a run for his money.

Cheers,

JackL

Edit my above posts’s title
Make that above post’s title read “above”.

Anyone know how to edit a title in these posts?

Cheers,

JackL

Only way to edit post title…
…I’ve found is to delete and re-post.