OK, here is one for the Canoe guys.

I was just given an old canoe. The gunnel has pulled loose, aluminum but the fiberglass is undamaged.

It is a Pat Moore tandem from when he was in Indiana. (I am figuring mid 1970’s)

Any info on his canoes would be appreciated…

Now for the question.

The gunnel is aluminum tubing with a slot in it. It fits down over the glass, which has holes in it. There are NO holes,bolts, rivets etc. through the aluminum and the fiberglass is undamaged so nothing pulled through the glass. How was the gunnel attached??

I have a feeling I have a descent boat once it’s all put back together…

don’t know
Maybe some sort of peg through the hole? Interesting.

In any case, aluminum isn’t very nice anyway, so why not put some cherry or ash rails on that one?

Enjoy!

How about this?

– Last Updated: Apr-23-08 11:24 PM EST –

Maybe some sort of blocking was once bolted through those holes, and after that was installed, the gunwale was threaded on from one end? I can envision the blocking material consisting of many little blocks, with an individual block at the location of each hole, or a continuous strip on both sides of the hull, like a miniature gunwale within a gunwale.

The blocking material might need to be shaped in such a way as to come in contact with the tubular aluminum at locations other than just the two edges of the slot to keep it from being wobbly. Sounds like a major job is coming up anyway, so maybe start by unfastening the deck plates and see if the other gunwale will slide forward or back to reveal what's inside? If that's how it stays on, I'd guess it might be a tight fit, being bent around a curve like that.

I don’t know
The weird part is…the glass isn’t damaged in any way!!

I might strip it off and put wood on…

I’m thinking that…

– Last Updated: Apr-23-08 11:39 PM EST –

...if some sort of blocking material was bolted on first, those bolts could have rusted away on such an old boat. Or maybe instead of bolts, the attachment was made with some sort of "snappy plastic gizmo" which later became too brittle to hang together anymore. In either case, maybe the blocking material is still inside the gunwale that came loose.

Update…
the canoe is 17’ long…

would really like some pics
My interest is piqued.

crosspins

– Last Updated: Apr-24-08 7:29 PM EST –

They used sized cross pins, which have probably rusted away. Diameter and length are key fit issues.

Put on in, slide the rail down, repeat.

If you're not interested in restoring a museum piece, a set of WeNoNah Rails from your local dealer would work better, and attach positively with pop rivets. Alternate consideration would be Bell or Swift Alu rails. Both are two piece, which eliminates waves in the top of the laminate.

OK, I will shoot some tomorrow
I need to start documenting it now.

Oh… on the rusted bolt theory… nope, no rust marks either. I think it had to just be a friction fit of some type…

I was on the right track, then
Cross pins of the proper length functioning both as anchors and as the ‘blocking’ mechanism I was envisioning. Cool. Do you suppose someone came up with that method as a way of making use of something super-simple and readily available like tubular aluminum, or just to eliminate the “rivet look”?

Found the answer!!!
On a search of the archives, right here…

“My old Moore had a rather original method of mounting aluminum gunwales. They drilled a series of holes along the rim of the hull and press fit short pegs through the holes. Originally they used wood pegs, which was obviously not smart, but on later models the pegs were nylon.

Then they took lenghts of T-6061 aluminum tubing and split them lengthwise with a saw. The split in each gunwale tube was driven and pulled down each edge of the boat, over the pegs. The pegs held the split tubing on the edge of the hull. The result was as stiff or stiffer than other aluminum gunwale systems then in use, and it was also more impact resistant. If a bad side impact drove a gunwale inward, it would typically bend over a wide region, rather than crimping or breaking locally.”

Did I write that? I have a '73 Moore
Voyageur, and have been facing the gunwale replacement problem for some time. Pat Moore sent me nylon to replace the original wood pegs, but he suggested that original installation was a team effort, involving some hammering. I’m thinking of a way to >pull> the tubing over the pegs. It would be easier to switch to another aluminum gunwale system, but I’d prefer to restore the boat to its original form.

I have no place to post pictures for general viewing, but can email pictures to individual addresses. The Voyageur was taken from a Howie LaBrant design that was campaigned in early whitewater downriver races.

Be interested to see what you have. Moores are rare.

Yes, you did…
I did search on this board and found your post. It solved the mystery…

I know the Moore canoes are a bit rare. That’s why I took this boat when it was offered to me. Besides… can’t have too many boats…

I haven’t had a chance to post pictures yet. It’s 17’ long and is a little rough right now. The hull is in good shape, just dirty and dull. The gunnel’s are pretty much off the boat.

I am trying to decide if I am going to try and re-use the aluminum, which is in perfect condition, or rip it all off and replace with wood.

If I go with wood, I will have to repaint the boat, can’t have the gunnel’s looking better than the hull…

Pat Moore
Had a 17 model called the Peter Pond II when he was building canoes in Indiana in the mid 70’s.

Was that after the fire that destroyed
the molds at the Indiana facility? Pat later designed and sold an 18.5’ Voyageur, but it was not the same boat as our 18.5’ Vega/Moore Voyageur. After the fire, it was pretty much Pat on his own. The older Moores let it go.

LOL…
What a name. I have no idea what the model is. It’s still on top of my truck. It’s my busy season–really busy.

I don’t know if it has a tag inside or not. The original Moore sticker is still on the bow.

After (1978)
When it was called Pat Moore Canoes. The only boats I think I remember from Moore Canoes were the Viper and Venom, which were 18"6" if I remember correct and there is a very good chance that I am fuzzy on those details.

moore canoe
Moore Canoes had a 17’ model called Peter Pond.