OK P-NETTERS, I'M SITTING ON THE FENCE,

and it HURTS!

Am going to a DSLR from a compact, and am stuck on the all-too-pointed horns of dilemma, on the fence.

It’s come down to the Canon EOS Digital Rebel T1i/500D and the Nikon D5000. Each is the model I’m willing to put out the cost for, but not beyond to get, fo example, a 50D or D90.

Both take great pictures, both do HD video, both are very good entry (or just above entry) DSLRs, and both come in packages with image-stabilized base zoom and telephoto zoom for under a grand. Both have pluses (mostly good) and minuses (mostly more or less minor).

Anyone out there with something to say one way or the other? Canon vs. Nikon, or T1i vs. D5000?

Thanks for any input, guys.

And in the meantime, I’ll wait for some cooler days and get the boats ready so I can -hopefully, with new camera in hand (in protected waters, of course)

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Can’t go wrong
There’s not a whole lot of difference between DSLRs, at least ones that are in comparable price ranges (no matter what most reviews make you think). They all take good pictures, it’s not like you’re going to end up with some dog. So just pick the one that feels the best in your hands or that you can get the best deal on.

Alan

Either one
The only reason to pick one over the other is if you already have lens that will fit one of them.

Otherwise, go for the best deal, best support, etc.

It’s the glass
You’ve done your research on entry level bodies.

What you need to research is the glass available and make your choice based on that.

Nikon vs. Canon is not a debate, it’s a preference. But once you choose a side, plan on sticking with it so your glass is compatible with the bodies you get in the future.

Handle both, make your pick, and start investing in quality glass.

Either are great…
cameras but maybe try making your decision based not on the body but on the whole system. Check out the different lenses available and accy’s available and go from there. I personally think Canon wins with a more rounded (and more affordable) selection of lenses. Of course, others may disagree :slight_smile:

Reviews
Go to www.dpreview.com and check out the reviews. Not sure if they have the reviews on each of them yet or not but if they do they get down to the nitty gritty and all of that good technical stuff and pros and cons of each.

Ted

Menus and controls
As others have mentioned, both have similar capabilities and it’s a good idea to consider the entire system (lenses, flashes, etc.) and how each feels in your hands. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is camera controls; Canon and Nikon seem to have differing philosophies about where certain controls (exposure compensation, exposure mode, etc.) are located and in their menu layout. Be sure to play with each and see if the controls “fit” your hands better that the other and if one’s menu layout seems more logical than the other. I know that’s difficult when you haven’t used a DSLR much before since you don’t know which controls you’ll use a lot, but it will be more important later if you progress to taking more than just snapshots. If you have experience w/ film SLRs, you’ll have more feel for which controls you’ll use the most.

As someone else mentioned, make sure that the brand you’re looking at has lenses you’ll want and use. You’ll be happier in the long run if/when you get into the body upgrade cycle if you don’t have to replace all of your lenses when you get a newer body; people tend to upgrade DSLRs more than they did with film SLRs since the tech chanes much more quickly. Also, both brands tend to keep there control and menu layouts fairly consistant; it’ll drive you nuts if you get used to Canon controls and menus, then try to switch to Nikon!

WELL, THANKS, FRIENDS, SORTA…
I was hoping for a lightning bolt assertion or two, one way or the other. Tant pis…

It’s all EXCELLENT advice, friends, but they’re all paths I’ve trod and still am treading: imaging, performance, previous gear, future development re: glass vs. box and likelihood of additional lens acquisitions, breadth of lens selections, minutiae vs. minutiae…

I don’t really see myself advancing beyond this one, maybe -MAYbe -one or two more pieces of glass in the next 5-10 years, and I’m not looking for (nor want to afford) a 20+ MP full-size sensor system pushing megabuck lenses.

This is even harder than when I weighed all the attributes of the boats I wanted last time through to get one I was going to be happy -for many MANY years -to

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

Go Nikon, for sure, no question.
Don’t ask me why, but at least it’s the decisiveness you’re seeking . . . .

;~)

YoS

I agree with Kanoo
When you buy a camera body, that’s your starting platform. Canon and Nikon bodies are comparable, it’s the lenses that make a difference. Canon has the edge in lenses in my opinion.

I have two “working” lenses for paddling when I take my DSLR (Canon). I’ll take either my 28 to 200 mm lens or my 78 to 300 mm IS lens. The IS lens cost more than the camera body.

I have a waterproof deck bag to keep the DSLR in. I’ve found Pelican cases are too bulky and awkward.

Andy

Up yer’s, Andy…

– Last Updated: Aug-21-09 5:55 PM EST –

Nikkor glass be better! Blubbbbbbb....

Me ol' Nikkor AIS lenses kin' beat up yer fancy smanchy Canon lenses any day!

(Maybe wez kin' git a 100 reply lens fight goin'!)

P.S. Real men shoot film!

FE

L
I have the canon, but use my Optio 99% of the time as its just more handy and its water proof. but the cannon does take better pics, but not by much…

I guess Lumix didn’t make the cut? nm

– Last Updated: Aug-21-09 6:23 PM EST –

If you decide on the Nikon I may have some lenses you can have..

Anyone know if the older mounts fit the new cameras?

I was on the fence once about them also.
You can’t go wrong with either one. What made my mind up to go with the Nikon was when holding each of them the Nikon felt better in my hands than the Cannon. That is all that it took to make up my mind.

yeah
Autofocus may not be supported depending on what lens you’re talking about, but EF and EF-S (Canon), or F mount (Nikon) will all fit.

Go by the smell–

– Last Updated: Aug-22-09 10:01 AM EST –

Which one smells more "camera-y". All you photgrapherz out there know what I'm talking about.

By the way-- I couldn't agree more with swedge.

*L*
Posted by: Swedge on Aug-21-09 5:51 PM (EST)
I have the canon, but use my Optio 99% of the time as its just more handy and its water proof. but the cannon does take better pics, but not by much..

I have fancy long-lensed cameras, and besides not wanting to take them on the water even in a Pelican Box, I use my Fuji because the photos--esp in daylight, when I paddle most--are exceptional.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12BWHynaKkY

I have this exact model but in green, I paid $150, Target and other places have it, and like the guy says, no protruding lense (most will come out when you turn on--this one stays in behind a glass). I like the photos wonderfully (every photo on my blog, scup, were with this camera, every one t5hat I took (some are from internet): a winner. My brother turned me on to a smaller camera (small enough actually to wear on a lanyard around neck. He has a very fancy setup with a huge lense, 80 mm objective SPorts Illustrated type, and he says, as does Swedge, the camera you have with you is the one you use most often. Something to consider.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/600946-REG/Fujifilm_15940073_FinePix_Z33WP_Digital_Camera.html
Click on "Features" tab
G'luck Scupperfrank, you Valley paddling pal, you.
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/

P.S. Takes great movies, too. This is my son in a too brightly lit room, so washed out not because of camera, but we overdid it with light, playing guitar. Note the sound quality is very authentic. Try that with a heavy DSL. Ha ha! I love this tiny camera. Thinking of getting another for my other car to have on-hand whenever I want to snap and shoot.
http://coolkayaker1.blogspot.com/2009/07/kid-can-rock.html

P.S. It has 10 megapixels. Here's a better example of clarity of video on the Fuji Finepix Z33 WP: Have you ever seen this underwater clarity from a point and shoot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWJplIbzPa8&feature=related

THANX ALL…
Was out & about today driving down to Homestead & the ag district (what’s left of it hereabouts) -the Redlands -and on the way back, stoppped by Wolf Camera.

Felt both, SMELLED both, asked a couple folks there -shooters -about’em. While all reiterated all the stuff I -and we here -hav gone thru, both said both were good cameras.

And both said they’ve owned a string of Nikons. Each independently said Nikon glass is a bit better than Canon, each has -or still -owns 2 or 3 SLRs.

So that was the straw that nudged the camel’s back, teetered the totter, and moved me over to the Nikon side of the fence.

Rick, I’d be more than happy to take you up, save that the body accepts not mounts, per se, but the mount accepts only DX series Nikkors. But thanks, friend, for the offer.

And YOU will be among the first to get their portraits shot with the new gear, heh heh heh…

I have the body, the 18-55 VR zoom, and the 55-200 (or 250?) VR zoom. Good, not great glass to start, along with a bag and the Nikon software.

Now we’ll see where all this goes.

But I’ve been told one thing about that: this new one, if I don’t opt for accident insurance on it, will NOT go wherever it is I

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

F mount fits on DX (generally)

– Last Updated: Aug-22-09 8:37 PM EST –

The only thing, like I said, is that it won't support auto focus.

ETA: Yeah, IMHO the lower to prosumer Nikkor glass has the edge. Pro level glass (which is way out of most peoples camera budgets anyway), edge goes to Canon. But the margin is closing, from what I hear anyway.

ETA2: OH! You will want to pick up the 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor, ASAP. Seriously.

Nikon!
No one ever wrote a song about a Canon camera.

MAYBE SO, REX, BUT DON’T FORGET…
…the song was basically last gen: film, “Kodachrome”.

As you know by now, I indeed got a Nikon, and it has 2 autofocus lenses which helps these old eyes out a LOT, LOL!

Hope all’s well up NC way -say hello to J&N if/when y’all cross paths (or paddles).

When are you coming south for a visit down here like thay do, by the way. Love to have you join us come winter so we can show you some interesting spots as we

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami