OK You photographers.

I ordered the rack for my jeep to carry my new (yet to be purchased) kayak. Small lakes here in Va Beach, I am 6’ about 250. Looking for recommendations on a yak. Right now am leaning toward the WS Ride 135.

Any and all input appreciated.

Dave

Demo a few boats
Enroll in a winter paddling class in the area you live.

Try different kayaks, learn about stroke mechanics.

Anyone can golf with no instruction or coaching

• but its a ton more fun when the skills are understood.

Kayaking decently involves some coaching on water.

2nd this recommendation
your present standard of a stable photography platform would probably be advanced with some lessons or seat time. Which will open more options up for you.

Foyst, git a real boat…
by dat ah’s means a canoo! Wat kinda Dauggertypin’ yer plannin’ on doin’? Still or movin’ pictures???

FE

nice looking
for an SOT.

More than stability
Stability gains you the steady hand. Efficiency and seaworthiness bring more things worth shooting into range.

Tarpon 160
Faster than a ride. Similar weight and capacity. Stable enough for a complete beginer.

Not a SOT
What kind of photography? wildlife? what type of equipment?

I shoot a lot from a kayak, mostly wildlife which means a DSLR and long lens, I use a 300 and 500mm from a yak.

I wouldn’t consider a SOT as a good choice for photography. Your equipment will be to exposed to the waves, splash, paddle drip all the time. Where will you store it when you have to cover some water? A sit in is a better choice, something stable. You can put the camera between your legs on the floor, I put a towel on the floor, then the camera, then another towel, you need quick access to your equipment.

I use a WS Tsunami, very stable, fast enough to cover some water when you need to. High deck height at the coning making quick access to camera easy.

I also know a lot of other photographers that prefer shooting from Pungo (very stable) with a mini shirt to keep paddle drip of the equipment.

Good luck, Mike

Thanks
Mostly wildlife photography, (birds etc). Will take a look at the Tarpon and Tsunami this weekend. Thanks again.

agreed
very good points from a photographers point of view.

yeah a half skirt would be great for keeping your stuff dry and still giving access.I wouldn’t consider an SOT just because of performance issues alone. if you are Going wirth a WS kayak id go for a Tsunami over the tarpon. its a very nice touring boat with plenty of DRY storage and will out perform the tarpon,much faster and easier to paddle especially when the weather isn’t cooperating wind rain etc… also being able to put on a spray skirt adds hugley to the kayaking experience keeps the rain out and the warm in. and there are many decent waterproof deck bags out there for easy access to gear. just make sure it is “waterproof” rubber or hard plasic not nylon.

anyways good luck, if you can demo these kayaks you’ll see the diference is night and day.