Okay Sea Kaykers---How does this work?

I’m of stepping off my surfski for an upcoming trip on a Sea Kayak. There will be a few minor open water crossings. Nothing to be overly concerned with. It’s been about three years since I’ve been on a kayak and since that time, I’ve been “spoiled” on a surfski in terms of safety.

If I fall out. I only have to climb back in and I’m off.

So here’s my question: I will be alone on this trip, so if for some reason I capsize and have to wet exit. what is the preferred method for getting things back to the good on the kayak?
My understanding is that if the cockpit is filled with water, it will generally be unstable, and if I’ve capsized, my guess is that the conditions would have been a bit rough, so sitting in an unstable boat in bouncy conditions while I slowly pump out the water doesn’t seem ideal.

The T-rescue is obviously not an option and I know there are those that might say I shouldn’t do any crossings alone, but really this is more theoretical. I’m just trying to understand how this kind of self-rescue works.

I think you answered your own question a little bit. However, you aren’t specific enough on just how long these crossings might be. As I’m sure you know, the longer the crossing the greater the chance you will encounter conditions that might cause some difficulty.

You also are not specific about how much gear you will be dealing with and what kind of sea kayak. It could make a significant difference in stability and ease of correcting a capsize, or in case a self rescue is needed.

My guess is that since you are used to a ski, a cowboy remount into a sink shouldn’t be a problem. I would also offer that since you are used to a ski, the extra stability of any good sea kayak will be very easy to take. I’ve been through a few short, but harrowing “crossings” by myself and they have served to instill extreme confidence in my sea kayaks and somewhat in myself. That isn’t to say that I do this sort of thing without considerable thought.

A helpful piece of equipment to have along, besides a good pump, would be something to scoop water with. Good judgement and a worst case scenario bail-out plan is still the best thing to have with you at all times.

Learn it in a controlled environment prior to depending on it in an uncontrolled environment. I found there are a lot more nuances involved in scrambling back into a stable sit-inside sea kayak than a considerably less stable surf ski. So just practice them. Rolling and bracing are the most effective and reliable, and least energy-consuming. Re-enter and roll is next if I’ve swam out of my kayak. Scrambling back into a flooded cockpit takes the most skill, balance, and energy for me. I find a paddle float can be a big help even in rough water. So just practice all these things where there’s no big pressure for an immediate and high percentage of success.

But just for the sake of theoretical, it’s incredibly important to master the more-difficult re-entries of sit-in sea kayaks prior to putting yourself out there. I suppose something like jumping into the 12 foot end of the pool before ever trying to swim in shallow water. It’s something that’s best to accept and have fun with.

I actually picked up a battery operated pump for such solo paddling situations. It’s not a permanent fixture. I just treat it like a hand pump. It’s accessible if needed, and then I can flick the switch, put on my skirt with the hose running out the side of the skirt, and have hands free on my paddle while the water pumps out. I’ve never had to use it for a real situation. But as you point out, the situation where you capsize is probably one where you may want to keep both hands on the paddle.

Also, pumping out a flooded cockpit is no small task. I’ve learned, in scramble rescues, to go to the bow, take a deep breath to fill my lungs, and try to lift the bow as high as I can while I quickly twist it upright. It seems a fairly good way to cut down on some of the water left in the cockpit. It takes a few seconds to follow the lines to the end of the bow to lift, then back to the cockpit. It’s also a good way to train yourself to never have both hands off of the boat at the same time. Always have hold of the deck line with at least one hand as you move your way to the end of the bow and back. It’s not necessary in calm conditions, but may be crucial where you would actually need it. So I think it’s a good way to build and reinforce good habit.

The actual scramble moves themselves, with and without paddle float, I think are best done on the water. I’ve found instances where what I find easiest doesn’t work at all for someone else, even just for getting yourself up on the deck of the kayak. I started doing a cowboy scramble, and still practice that. But have all but abandoned it for what’s locally been labeled a cowgirl scramble. I think without considering balance issues and personal preference, the cowgirl has to be quicker and less work just as a matter of the total of the moves themselves.

@CapeFear. What’s the difference between the cowboy and cowgirl scrambles?

Oops. Just found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et_KFXQ36V0

To me, using a hand pump to empty the cockpit seems like a problem. I met an individual who was out of his kayak in conditions and paddled a couple miles with his cockpit full–said he couldn’t manage the boat and pump at the same time. And if pumping in conditions, there are waves dumping water in as fast as you can pump it out. To me, seems like a problem.

That’s why I put an electric bilge in my Azul. I can put the spray skirt on, flip the switch, and paddle while the boat empties.

I swichted kayaks this summer and have been wondering about another pump install. The cockpit is tighter and there’s no room for the pump behind the seat. I suppose I could put one near my feat, but the water seems to gather in front of the seat. Ideally you’d like the pump to be at the low spot in the cockpit. In the Azul, the pump never could get that last inch of water out, and if the pump isn’t at the low spot and doesn’t get the last inch it can get, the water will be deeper at the low spot. Still, better paddling with 2" of slosh than a full cockpit.

For those who don’t like electrical solutions, there are foot operated pumps and pumps you run by hand lever on the outside of the boat.

There are spray skirts that have a hole in the center with a little velcro’d or zippered flap. The idea is you can attach the spray skirt to your flooded cockpit and stick your pump through the hole and then pump. That makes a little more sense than trying to pump with the cockpit open and waves dumping, but realistically, if conditions are such that waves are dumping, you need your hands on the paddle, not trying to operate a pump, which really takes both hands.

So, if you really think you may need to empty your cockpit in conditions, the only solutions that make sense to me are an electric or foot-operated bilge pump.

~~Chip

@Mountainpaddler said:
I’m of stepping off my surfski for an upcoming trip on a Sea Kayak. There will be a few minor open water crossings. Nothing to be overly concerned with. It’s been about three years since I’ve been on a kayak and since that time, I’ve been “spoiled” on a surfski in terms of safety.

If I fall out. I only have to climb back in and I’m off.

So here’s my question: I will be alone on this trip, so if for some reason I capsize and have to wet exit. what is the preferred method for getting things back to the good on the kayak?
My understanding is that if the cockpit is filled with water, it will generally be unstable, and if I’ve capsized, my guess is that the conditions would have been a bit rough, so sitting in an unstable boat in bouncy conditions while I slowly pump out the water doesn’t seem ideal.

The T-rescue is obviously not an option and I know there are those that might say I shouldn’t do any crossings alone, but really this is more theoretical. I’m just trying to understand how this kind of self-rescue works.

If you have to ask the above questions you shouldn’t be going alone. If you have not tried a kayak with water in it you need more practice before open crossings. You can also brace your kayak with a paddle float while you pump out the boat.

More than anything, I’m using this trip to get reacquainted with my old friend the sea kayak, and it’s caused me to wonder more in theory how one would solve the above dilemma. I don’t foresee any real problem arising on the this upcoming trip per se.
I’m not really concerned with a remount or for that matter tipping over, more with the theoretical issue of dealing with a boat filled with water being made unstable in the event that in the future I’d take it out in more challenging conditions.

Since getting onto a ski, I really found the kayak limiting and have just set it aside, but now I’m starting to rethink that notion and am looking forward to having another go with it.

I think the idea of a waterlogged boat is probably one of my biggest concerns about heading out into the type of challenging water that I would have charged into on a ski.
But I like the idea of eventually getting out there with it and having some fun. Just want to make sure i can sort through any potential issues.

I like the idea of a battery operated pump; that may be the way to go. Also pushing up the bow and doing a quick dump out, I’d forgotten about that.

The best way to learn about the ‘what ifs’ is to go practice them in a safe place. I had pretty good luck with the paddle float self rescue and pumping out the boat with the paddle float ‘outrigger’ was pretty easy. I tried the cowboy thing and had zero luck with it. If you really like the sea kayak consider learning to roll it. It takes time to get good at but it’s the best self rescue.

Unless they changed them recently those battery powered pumps don’t float. Carry a manual pump also. They float.

@Rex said:

Unless they changed them recently those battery powered pumps don’t float. Carry a manual pump also. They float.

I’m just curious why it could matter whether or not a battery-powered pump floats. The pump and battery will need to be secured inside the boat so they stay in place when in rough water, or during a roll, so it should be impossible for them to fall out and sink if you capsize. At least, that would be my approach to installing one. I can see carrying a manual float as a backup in case the battery-powered one fails.

@Guideboatguy
No, one of the portable pumps is not designed to be secured/installed. Just plop it where you need it and flip the switch. I’ve never sunk one but I know someone who did.

If you are doing solo crossings, a paddle float aid/assist with any of the above rescue/pump scenarios is a huge help. There is good information here. I’ve never been good with using a regular bilge pump to empty a boat----way too slow in conditions that probably caused the issue in the first place. Practice ahead of time a bunch—but good judgement and skills trumps all the pump stuff.

@kblackyak said:
I’ve never been good with using a regular bilge pump to empty a boat----way too slow in conditions that probably caused the issue in the first place. Practice ahead of time a bunch—but good judgement and skills trumps all the pump stuff.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I was thinking too.

Waterlogged boat?..well ideally just the cockpit not the whole boat. Sea kayaks normally have compartments fore and aft to provide floatation and stability. You are doing “crossings” yet I don’t recall what you were crossing or how long a paddle. If you are going to go in all conditions on an epic trip maybe you need to tune up on some short day paddles first. A paddle buddy solves a lot of solo problems like wet reentries, assisted rescues, etc.

Well as others have said, skill trumps all. As far as pumping out your boat since most people paddle with others the manual pump works fine with other kayaker stabilizing boat. Paddle float can help BUT you still need to deal with getting pump by spray skirt. I tried this in real world conditions (Not flat water were most practice) and getting the pump by a tight fitting neoprene skirt all the way to bottom of cockpit extremely difficult . So all my boats are equipped with electric bilge pumps.

pbase.com/dc9mm/kayak_bilge_pump

@Rex said:
@Guideboatguy
No, one of the portable pumps is not designed to be secured/installed. Just plop it where you need it and flip the switch. I’ve never sunk one but I know someone who did.

Late reply here.

Okay, fine, but I don’t understand why would anyone tolerate having an electric bilge pump knocking around loose in the cockpit when they are out in rough water or when they will likely be rolling the boat as it is. For any pump with a fixed inlet port on the bottom of the housing, even if all it did was tip over on its side, the lowest “bail-able” water level could suddenly end up being four or five inches above the bottom, and that would be unacceptable to me.

The fact that something isn’t “designed to be secured” hardly means that it can’t be done. It only means that your kayak wasn’t purpose-built with the idea of adding an electric pump. Hey, you’re boat wasn’t designed with an outlet port either, but that doesn’t stop anyone from installing one. Wouldn’t it make sense to use the same approach when it comes to making sure the pump stays put? I bet lots of people who have installed pumps in kayaks have done exactly that. In fact, a few years ago, someone here described their method for installing an electric pump in a whitewater canoe, and though no canoe is “designed” for securing an electric pump inside, you can bet that part of his procedure was to figure out where to put the pump and then make sure it stays there!

@ Guideboatguy
Frankly I have hardly used the portable battery powered pump. I’ve taken it on trips but it sits unused in the day hatch. I’ve practiced using it in the pool mostly. I suppose it could be velcroed to the hull; still portable but won’t slide around.

Your could epoxy or glass two small strap eyes and hold a pump with a strap. Easy to remove if you no longer wanted it.

@PaddleDog52 and Guideboatguy
Good ideas! When Spring gets here I’ll look into a way to make that pump stay in the cockpit rather than the day hatch.

@Rex said:
“If you really like the sea kayak consider learning to roll it. It takes time to get good at but it’s the best self rescue.”

Rex speaks the truth. If you have a reliable roll, you can be pretty bombproof in a kayak. When whitewater kayaking, I have gone for years without taking a swim. However, even if you develop a reliable roll, it’s still possible to screw up and end up in the water in the middle of a lake or out in the ocean, So you need to figure out how to deal with the situation, whether you are with other paddlers or paddling solo.

One of my skirts has a zippered hole. Open zipper insert pump…pump. Pump with floatation collar normally travels under bungies just forward of the cockpit. See picture next to the day bag.

PS…this was a caroling by kayak paddle. Merry Christmas y’all.