Old Grumman Canoe Stats

Does anyone know where I can find statics on old canoes? I have (I believe) a 1965 Grumman canoe that was originally purchased for a Boy Scout troupe by my Grandfather. I want to know an estimated weight for the bugger. I cannot pick the thing up (being vertically challenged and relatively weak) and I’m trying to see if trailer is a viable option. (Pricey as they are) Also, can a Honda Civic 4 cylinder be used to haul a canoe? These are things I have no knowledge of. Until this summer my husband and I would use the canoe, he rigged a piece of 2 x 4 to mount a trolling motor to, for fishing.

Unfortunately cancer took him recently. He used to be able to put the canoe on top of the van for transport. I’m lucky if I can pick up one end, much less hoist the thing on my shoulders and put it on top of anything.

I would appreciate some feedback.

some Info:
If the canoe was bought for Boy Scout use, there’s a good chance it is a “17-Foot Standard” model. They don’t make as many different models as they used to, but the 17-foot Standard is still in the lineup.

http://www.marathonboat.com/grummancanoes.asp

I didn’t look up the weight on the website, but I seem to remember it being in the mid-70s, while the heavier shoe-keeled model (which has more ribs) was about 10 pounds heavier.

If you can pick up one end, you probably “can” put it on a car roof. If the rear crossbar of your roof rack is close enough to the rear, just set one end on that bar, then lift the other end and slide it up. There are two or three other common methods for loading by lifting one end at a time, too. You can get plenty of advice on this if you need it, but it IS possible that you are too small to REASONABLY carry a Grumman by yourself. They are heavy buggers.

Can a four-cylinder Honda carry a canoe? Yes - on a trailer too. I pulled a 550-pound motorcycle on a 250-pound trailer with my old 1600-cc Subaru (yeah, it was a little bit like driving a truck, but still well within reason). The actual payload capacity on a small car is normally in excess of 900 pounds, so a canoe is no big deal if you have a decent rack (the roof capacity will be a lot less, but a canoe won’t overload that either). You’ll feel a bit of wind resistance, but nothing scary.

Grummans were heavier
1960’s era Grumman Canoes were made of a different grade aluminum than the present models. The modern stuff is thinner for the same strength, and therefore lighter.

Most Scout Camps bought livery-weight Grumman’s. Lots of ribs, heavy keels, and an extra thick hull.

The model number on the plaque attached to the front deck will tell the construction. It could weigh from around 55# for a lightweight 15 footer to around 80# for a livery model 17’ with WW keel.

The number of ribs and thwarts, the shape of the keel and the overall length would give us something to work on.

Bill

Grumman Canoe
I had visited that web site before, but didn’t download the pamphlet with the dimension on it. The pamphlet showed something closer to what I have, versus what I’ve seen on other web-sites. Also, the canoe is current hanging from the rafters in the garage, under my husband’s van (right side up) so without lowering it down, I’ll guess that it has 3 ribs (One under each cross bar), but I’m not positive.

I’m not sure what the WW stands for in your question and I’m not sure what kind of keel it has, just that it has one. I saw in the pamphlet there are 2 different shapes, but I’m not sure it’s either one. It’s a folded piece of metal so it’s relatively wide, but I can’t say if it’s bulbed or not.

As far as lifting it onto the roof, I’m 4’ 10 1/2" so everything is hard that requires lifting things up “high.” (above my head) There’s some welding that had to be done in it too, so I’m sure that added some weight.

I hope you don’t mind me changing …
your post a bit, but if you enjoy canoeing, I strongly suggest that you get rid of it and get a light weight, (kevlar) canoe in about the 14 or 15 foot length range.

There are many differnt makes that weigh between 30 and 40 pounds, and would be very easy for you to load and unload on your vehicle roof by yourself.

You just pick up one end and place it on the rear cross bar, or padding (so you won ‘t scratch the car) if the bar is not near the rear of the roof.

Then you go to the other end of the canoe, pick it up and slide it on.

One of my daughters is 4’-11" and she loads both kayaks and canoes by herself using a little step stool to help.

Cheers,

JackL

Grumman Canoe
Thanks for your help. The canoe was free and has major sentimental value. Also I use it for fishing so stability with casting and being around other boats is a must. Plus it’s already rigged for a trolling motor and many other amenities. We used to call it the luxury canoe.

We added a piece of carpet on the bottom to cut down on noise, I have a cushioned boat sea with a back, Pop can holder, mount for my fish finder, etc. I don’t know if I can handle it by myself, but that would remain to be seen.

Losing my “fishing and Bluegrass buddy” (as my husband sometimes called me) is a major set-back in my life. I don’t know what the future holds.

trailer
I use a trailer to move my Grumman eagle 17. If you could find a used light weight boat trailer, I think a 4cyl Honda would tow it fine. I modified a 5 x 8 utility trailer by extending the tounge and added side racks to haul my kayaks. It would be a lot easier and less work if you started with a 15’ - 17’ boat trailer. All you would need is to bolt some wood runners with carpet on them to the trailer for your canoe to lay on. Harbor freight sales new boat trailers that are light weight and fairly cheap that would work.

Honda pulling canoes
I use a Honda fit to pull trailex trailer with a 17’ and a 19’ Grumman canoes one inside the other one upside down and backwards,they are both square stera canoes. They are older G series canoe the 17’ is 1958 per title/registration .the 19’ we don’t know has state issued numbers stamped into rear rails per Iowa pre 1972.yes a Honda will pull canoes on trailer.

Have owned 13, 15, 17, 18, Grumman all lightweight models and a 17’ square stern Grumman. Lived and traveled the Canadian Ontario bush in a Grumman. Have owned about 20 other canoes of various materials. Presently own a 13’ and 18’ Grumman, both lightweight models. Nothing beats a Grumman for all around versatility. You can keep your sweet smelling, slack jawed, weak kneed, namby bamby pretty boy composite and royalax canoes. They may be alright for the phony make believe Boudary Waters canoe trip wilderness, but for the real Canadian bush I’ll choose the Grumman boom-alums every time.