Old school canoes for your viewing pleasure................

@Overstreet said:

@thebob.com said:
You call them pretenders; I call them old school.
Likely a question of semantics, perception, opinion.
The vast majority of the boats pictured are certainly post wood/canvas, post aluminum. That’s old enough to qualify as “old school” to me.

If I wanted to get picky; I could say that your wood/canvas canoe is a “pretender”.
It isn’t made from a log, not made of birchbark, not made of reeds. It is not an Indian made, buffalo skin, bull boat. It is also not a 2 or 3 hundred year old Hawaiian outrigger, nor a Viking longship.

BOB

P.S. I own a Chestnut Pal from the 1960s. Is it a pretender? It only a little over 55 years old…

How about a repurposed Saudi whatever turned into a flower pot?

Its origin is somewhat suspect. Some of the old club boats are more relics with a touch of folklore than operational boats.

I have cobwebs in a bunch of my canoes, but no trees growing in them as of yet. At least, I don’t think I do.

It’s pretty easy to define “old school” when it comes to whitewater boats - anything longer than 9’ and not made of high-density polyethylene. In other words, its not a Blackfly.

Dan

Someday I’m going to get myself one…

GBG there are a lot of wooden canoe builders. “Production” is a relative term. Each craft requires some 100 hours at least, and the profit margin( or not) means that shops are one or two person affairs.
WCHA has a list of builders… You have some in your area. Jeannie Bourquin and Alex Comb make wonderful brand new wood canvas canoes.

http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/

There is the Wisconsin Canoe Heritage Museum… Some wood canvas craft some old some not so old.

I have three “old school” wood canvas canoes ( actually skinned with Ceconite…aircraft dacron) that were built in the last twenty years.

@eckilson said:
It’s pretty easy to define “old school” when it comes to whitewater boats - anything longer than 9’ and not made of high-density polyethylene. In other words, its not a Blackfly.
Someday I’m going to get myself one…

You may have to up your qualifying length Erik. Silver Birch brought their Rebel prototype to ALF. 11 feet plus if I remember.

Old School is definitely a perception of others. My group I paddle with nicknamed me “Old School”. They all paddle kayaks and I’m the only canoe (Rival). I gave up wool for neoprene wetsuit and a dry suit. Still “Old School”. I did purchase a Blackfly Option, still called “Old School”. The pipe tobacco I indulge in on river breaks doesn’t help, but mostly I think they call me that because AARP sent me a birthday card this month :wink:
Great pictures everyone.

For some of us “old” is a chronological reality, and for others it is a state of mind. And then there are those of us for which it is both.

No! There are those of us who are old in years and geez I still feel like 17! Ed you have a ways to go to catch up with some of us!

I tell my grown children that my body has aged, but I still have the mind of a child!!

Hemlock has 2 Curtis canoes for sale on their website. Under a $1000.00

Had 3 Curtis canoes in the old days…all exceedingly well built and great to paddle…Lady Bug, Vagabond, Nomad. Those should be a good buy!

One for the collection…

One more, A really old boat, a Pat Moore Canoe.

Which Pat Moore canoe? Unlike any I have ever seen…
I love a mystery.

Peter Pond model??

Kevlar (Vermont) Malecite.

How about another Sojourn?

Navarro Legacy.

A Prospector is always old school, right?

Anybody recognize this boat?

Sawyer Summersong, 35 years old

Resurrecting an old thread! Lets see some old school canoes!

1976 Old Town Chipewyan 17