Old Town Dirigo 106

I started this topic because I think I ask the wrong questions in a previous post. Does anyone have a Dirigo 106 and how does it do in faster water.

Info on Dirigo 106

– Last Updated: May-02-10 2:42 PM EST –

Cockpit size 18" by 38". Open in front (no bulkhead). The big cockpit rec boat is the reason that Old Town would have recommended against it for moving water - the ability to let in a huge amount of water fast, which is the enemy in a capsize. There's a reason that creeker WW boats tend to be higher sided.

Dagger Axis is suited for mixed environments per the Dagger website. Since you want to buy new rather than used, this might be worth a harder look.

I figure Old town responded that way
because of hull design. Given my size the square inches of surface area for water intrusion would be comparable to a smaller person with a smaller opening. Guess I was wrong

square peg into a round hole?
I read both posts and it looks more like yoou are looking for justification to get the 106 more than actually considering it by its merits. I am probably wrong but that is the way I read it. I did the same thing with the Old Town Rush I bought when I first started and while I still love the boat, I definitely outfitted it with float bags front and aft and it is a nice boat for newbies to use. I have progressed a bit since then but I still enjoy the rush when I get to paddle it.

I have 15 ft sit on tops and an Arctic Tern 14 ft and I have paddled small creeks and found that I don’t have that much difficulty turning at all.

I can say this because I have used a tarpon 100 and a tarpon 140 and did not feel that there was that much of detriment with turning and navigating small creeks. the ability to lean agressively with a kayak and loosening up the ends allows for very tight turns as well as using bow rudders etc.

I strongly recommend you at least look at a 12 footer and above for your weight and height and I can guarantee you that you will enjoy your flatwater paddling a lot more with the additional tracking etc.

Big difference between a 14 ft canoe and a 14 ft kayak

Paul

longer is better
long time ago I ruled out 10ft boats, 12’ and up for me (similar physical size as u). I started in a dagger response (11’) long time ago, ww boat, but after kids and such, most of my seat time is now flat water and ozark float trips. the response was not an ideal first choice for that, so i traded for a 10’ rec style boat few yrs back. I loved the initial stability, missed the secondary I was used to, sculling, etc. but the line was straight, cockpit roomy, all seemed good until…my son took over my 10 ft. I bought a 12’ vapor at bass store on clearance for $379 and felt what I was missing - speed - I could only imagine what a narrower boat would do. I recently picked up an AXIS 12, and it is my new favorite do all boat. more money than I wanted, but does exactly what I want. Wife is a newbie and HATES the axis, but loves the vapor.

for you, sounds like you would be better suited to a 12ft rec style boat(vapor is great, pungo, pamilco - really any of the current gen of rec boats, I have seat time in all of them and also have pungo 12, but its pricey), because on a 300 mile trip down the buffalo you will have at least 30# of gear if not more with food, and your size will come close to recommended weight and will sit low. You will have seal bags secured inside, bulkheads might be nice, so get the vapor 12xt with rear hatch, or pungo 12 with rear bulkhead…or if you are going to try faster water get the axis 12. Personally I would shy away from a 10ft rig unless it was a ww boat.

have not made my mind up, only
asking about a kayak I’m familiar with. Gonna go next week to Terrapin Outdoor Center in Gadsen , AL. I called them earlier and they said they had a large variety in stock of Necky, Old Town, Dagger and so forth. Maybe I can figure something out there. BTW to all, I’m not planning on making a 160 mile trip down the Buffalo. I only gave that as a reference to the type water I like to paddle.

Sorry if I got the mileage stretched
It was hard to tell from your earlier posts whether you wanted to drive around to paddle different parts of the Buffalo as far as the White River, or do that whole distance paddling. It sounds now like you meant the first.

That said, the types of water on the Buffalo seem to be quite mixed - from rated moving water in the upper third to flat water in the middle and lower sections. So it sounds like you are focusing more on the stuff in the upper third.

Pungo
gotta tell you. tracks straight, comfortable, probably the best recreational type boat out there in my opinion. I see lots and lots of people with them and they love em.

Paul

DIRIGO 140
Have had one for a little over a year.

Has been good for me, 6 foot 200+ pounds. I got the 140 because it has the small jump seat in the front so my granddaughter can go woth me.

I’ve had it in rivers, streams, lakes, and some sheltered ocean. Has performed fine in all situations.

I have a 10 foot sit in and a 12 sit on and this is the best of the 3.

Throw out the "jump seat"
My daughter and I used it a few times - we quickly found that she (and I) was much more comfortable just sitting on a seat pad (tractor seat/stadium seat/whatever you call it).

In both cases, her big issue was no back support. I debated throwing some kind of backband mid-cockpit for her to lean back against. Ended up doing nothing and built her a kayak - but that had little to nothing to do with the seat (or lack thereof).