Old Town Pack for Two?

I’m looking for a canoe for my family. My wife and I are both pretty small. I weigh 130lbs and my wife wheighs 100lbs. We have a 6 month old as well. I’m interested in the Old Town Pack canoe because its really light and in the price range I want to spend. Does anybody know if it would be difficult to put in an extra seat?

I’ve read testimonials from guys weighing 250lbs going for week long trips with two big packs and a dog, so I don’t think weight would be a problem.

Anyone?

No way
Get a Mad river explorer 14 tt instead. Similar price and only 72 pounds. Paddles like a dream solo or tandem as long as the load is light,

Only 72 lbs?
That’s twice the 36 lbs of the OT Pack.

Not Good for 2
I have a Pack, no way I would try to put two people in it.

With that baby, you need to be looking
at at least a 15 ft boat, better still, a 16.

volume
In the early 90’s, Mike Galt of Lotus designed a tandem for the Japanese market. His data suggested paddlers sized as you and family are.

The hull, the Cygnet, was 15 feet by ~31". The OT pack, at 12" by 27 inches has a significant volume reduction from the Cygnet. The pack may work for a 250# soloist seated in the center, I doubt that, but certainly won’t be stable for two individuals seated near the stems.

Look at Nova’s Pal, 15’ X 33. Consider converting a MoHawk solo 14, 14’ X 31" as the smallest workable hullafter

Lots of good
ideas, but the person is looking for a canoe in the price range of the pack, that is also light and built for two. That is a pretty tough order to fill. I agree, two adults albeit small, would not be ideal in the pack. In my opinion, the order to fill is not possible, at least not as new. However, a used penobscot could get close, or a used pal would be awesome, but it is hard to find one, and even used they can bring good money. ( I am a devote follower of the Pal! )

I think a 14 foot mowhawk would be great. Perhaps a solo plus from Wenonah, or an Aurora? Still heavy though. I wounder what two used packs would go for?

Good Luck with your search.

Bob.

I’ve done that.
Putting in the second seat is a piece of cake. The one seat is set just right for becoming the bow seat. The rear seat goes just as far back as you can get it. I used it for the kids to paddle, and they could keep right up with it. But two 15 year olds with a cooler full of food on a calm river was about it for my nerves. The freeboard was down to only a few inches. I’m not sure I’d want a baby along.

I doubt it too.
I just got a nice used Pack, and I’m also outfitting it as a tandem (sliding center/bow plus fixed stern), but for two kids that total only about 150 pounds. Even so, I think it may only be a one-year solution.

It’s a small boat!

Fisherman?
Maybe a used Wenonah Fisherman? It’s wide and slow, maybe - but only 57lbs in royalex and it is a tandem with good capacity for a 14-footer. Seems to be more of them available on the used market than the Penobscot and similar canoes - at least, when I’m looking…

Thanks

– Last Updated: Apr-23-08 8:30 PM EST –

Okay, thanks for the tips everybody. We will be using our canoe on the small sub-alpine lakes around here, so I figured it would to the trick. I'm thinking even if we could pull it off, we may outgrow it soon enough. Especially thanks for the alternative suggestions. I'll check them out.

pack canoe
My advice is don;t even consider this boat for a moment.You need at least a 15 foot canoe for your little family. Sounds like you are fairly young so go with a little more weight even if it is a bit of a strugle,then someday get yourself a good Kevlar .

Old Town Camper 15
Another Old Town canoe I would look at is the Camper 15. It is also a royalex canoe like the Pack, but it is a tandem. It is 14’10" long, flat bottomed for great initial stability, 36" wide, and only weighs 57 pounds. I have owned an Old Town Pathfinder (now discontinued but a carbon copy of the Camper 15) for about 25 years and have really enjoyed it’s versatility and durability.

Todd

Small Sub Alpine Lakes
Not sure what you mean by that, or where you are, but I paddle lakes in the High Sierras above 7,000 feet.

They may look very idyllic sometimes, but the water is very cold most of the year, and they are subject to very high winds.

My thought too.