Old Town Penob 186?

I have been thinking about picking up one if the end of the year bonus comes through. Price and weight seem to be competitive. I can get a new one for $1300 at Beans. Maybe a little cheaper from a local dealer. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=36767&sc1=Search&feat=sr

I want to get a canoe for multiday trips with big lake use in mind. My kids are getting older and I want to get them out more. My Discovery 169 has serve my family trips well but is really no good in the flats and a bit too heavy. Desiring something a bit quicker, a bit lighter, but with plenty of room for me and the two kids, ages 8 and 10.

Anybody got one or paddle one? Does the hull remain stiff in waves or is the boat just too darn big to avoid excessive flexing?

Any thoughts on a comparable 18’ + canoes.

Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Howdy Scott

– Last Updated: Nov-08-04 11:29 AM EST –

I don't know about the Penob18, but the 16 ft was a nice boat. For my family cruiser I have a Wenonah Champlain, 18ft long 36" wide. I have it in Toughweave, Wenonah's proprietary layup. It weighs 67 lb, not to bad. I can load and unload myself easily enough. It is fast enough and still maintains a good bit manuverabilty (sp?) and haul a ton of gear. I have paddled it in lakes, bays and some rivers. I bought mine 4 or 5 years ago, it was 1100.00, probably more now for sure. For a big canoe it does what it is designed to do very well.

Mine’s been great
Must not be much of a market around here. Picked mine up with a scratch for $700 from Galyan’s. 350 Missouri river miles later, it’s got lots of scratches and gouges.

From that trip (2 people, lots-o-gear) to overnighters with the wife, 2 kids and the dog, to a river clean up day with perhaps 800 lbs. of trash.

No flex, tracks nice, it’s fast and I can load it myself.

It’s been the best value boat I’ve owned.