Olde Towne

-- Last Updated: Aug-06-08 8:13 PM EST --

I have been looking for a two-seater canoe for a couple of years. I've found a nice looking one (haven't seen it in person yet) within 5 miles. It's a 14.5 foot Old Town, two seater. The people are asking $400 does that seem reasonable or should I offer lower? I was thinking maybe $350. They said it's 3 years old and has been out about 12 times. In the pictures it looks nicer than any I've seen. What do you all think?

its only 5 miles away
go take a look at it—and look at the old town website catalogue to see what the price of a new one is—if it is in really good shape and price is signficantly less that the MRSP on a new one of the same model, then the answer is obvious—doesn’t mean you shouldn’t haggle though.

I agree , but would like to add:
what will your use of the canoe be?

Are you sure if you are looking for a two seater that one that is a little over 14 feet will be large enough for your intended purpose?

Old town has made some El cheapo’s for the big box stores, and this might be one of those models.

don’t be “penny wise and pound foolish” !

cheers,

JackL

dont confuse him with details
he obviously wants to buy it and you will just talk him out of it–lol

What model name is it ??

– Last Updated: Aug-06-08 10:01 PM EST –

....... I don't know of any Old Town that is 14.5' , but it might be a Guide 147 (14'-7") .

Old Town's , msrp is $599. for a new Guide 147 , though they can be bought for $550. new , plus tax .

It's a well made boat at around 74 lbs. , nice gunnels . Laminated Polylink3 hull , has floatation core in the middle of the laminate . Has a smaller keel but the inside floor is flat without the keel gutter showing .

Probably a bit small in the bow for a larger person .

It should have the model name clearly stickered on the side if only 3 years old .

I like the Old Town canoes , that's why I paddle one , a 169 . Used 4 other models in the past and thought each one was well made and good paddler .

A 14’ 7" canoe that weighs 74 pounds?
Geez, my 17’ 3" OT Tripper weighed 81 pounds, and that was its one significant fault---- too heavy.

I would strongly recommend against any 14.5’ tandem canoe for flatwater use. Length means easy paddling, and length also contributes to stability. To make a short canoe stable, it has to be wide, and that means slow.

yep g2d , all you said correct …
… but what 15’ canoe can someone buy new that weighs less than 74 lbs. at $550. , and is as well made and as good a boat as the Old Town ??

When the word Royalex@ is added the price doubles , when Kevlar@ is added even more . Fiberglass , same thing , price jumps big time .

The Guide is wide at 38" , good and stable but of course not a speedster …

They are out there…

– Last Updated: Aug-06-08 11:53 PM EST –

Going to pick up one friday.

15'8" in length
55 lb. in weight
34 " max gunwale width
6" freeboard capacity: 750 lb.
Layup: Blackhawk Canoe's silver laminate, a blend of E&S Glass cloth in four weights & weaves.
Model: Blackhawk Combi with wood gunwales, handholds, and 3 wood/cane seats
Condition: Like new, always garaged, and paddled a total of 4 times(on a lake) since purchased new.
Blackhawk quality: Excellent
Cost: $550.00

I wouldn't even consider buying a 14'5", or 14'7" boat that I intended to use as a tandem, especially on flatwater.

Have no major problem with Old Town. I owned a Discovery 174(bought second hand for 2 hundred), and a 158(bought brand new/still crated for 5 hundred). Certainly would not have paid full price for either. Sold both for more than what I paid for them. Got a Dagger Reflection 17 footer; was a lot happier with it than either of the Old Towns.

On the other hand; if the boat is in very good condition, and the owner is willing to negotiate a little on the price, and you are "hot to trot" to get out on the water..........it might serve your purpose.

BOB

I bet it’s a Guide
$400 seems reasonable. IMHO, I’d say it’s worth somewhere between $250 - $425 depending on condition.

It doesn’t hurt to offer $350. He’ll probablly haggle and you’ll pay $375. That’s fair if it’s in very good condition.

I say if you want it, go for it. Get on the water and have fun. Make sure you set aside some funds for two good pfds.

Probably a guide

– Last Updated: Aug-07-08 8:56 PM EST –

I have an Old Town guide 147 and it weighs 74 lbs. I converted it to solo by removing the plastic seats and putting in a cane seat just back (aft?) of center. Mine doesn't have a keel. I bought it used but in cherry condition for $335 including paddles and life jackets. I've seen 'em new for as low as $529. This canoe can take a lot punishment. Try to get 'em down to about $350 if you can.

Shop…

– Last Updated: Aug-07-08 9:00 PM EST –

I took the great advice of listening to the wisdom and knowledge of everyone on this site and I can honestly say that I am glad that I did. I was originally looking at a box store plastic drink model boat when we learned about the Old Towns. I decided to look at a couple of local canoe outfitters, and after spending hours in the front show room looking at decent canoes, guides included, and new molded "cool" looking boats. I looked in their used section way in the back of the store and found a pristine condition '89 17'2" Canadienne fiberglass for $750.00. This is the easiest paddling canoe, two seater. However it was modified with a center seat which fit us perfectly for paddling with our daughter. At 65Lbs. it is easy to take with us on the spur of the moment. We ended up with a lot nicer boat than we would have gotten without listening to everyone here. I guess what I am trying to say is don't be in such a rush without looking at all of the options. We are much happier with this boat that we will have for a lifetime than something else that we may have just "settled for".