Olympic Nat. Park Coast ???

The 5* assessment has been
done in the US before several times, as well scads of trainings. It may have also been done in Canada, but not too sure about that. You basically need an approval from the BCU to run the assessment at a location that an L5/A5 instructor has approved of in coordination with someone at BCU like Mike Devlin or one of his counterparts. Therein lies the rub, a place like the Oly coast is not approved, either becuase it doesn’t provide all of the conditions on a syllabus such as a tidal race the quality of Penrhyn Mawr and other features, or simply an L5/A5 hasn’t submitted it for approval with HQ. The improper conclusion often drawn is the Oly coast is “not 5*.” All they are trying to do is find a place that has conditions replicating those found in Great Britain in spring, summer and fall to match the aspirant with the water found there. They aren’t looking down their nose at US waters.

Dogmaticus

Well put
The upper lever Brit coaches who have paddled the west coast have been impressed by the paddling we have.

The issue for 5* is not that the venues are not available, but that the conditions are too variable. Such as lack of all parts of the remit available in one area, or the nav consequences are not high enough, or the conditions are not dependable (too much reliance on a number of environmental conditions having to be combined).

I was running a “new” 4* training at the Columbia River Bar last summer. Two upper level coaches said that, paddling around Jetty A was clearly outside of remit for 4*, that it was a 5* move. On that day, it was; and from their reading of the charts, coast pilot, etc, they deduced that it would often be like that. But in reality, it is often quite easy, and lower skilled kayakers go around it often.

No, the Brit coaches have, in general, quite a bit of respect for the conditions we have.

It has been mentioned by two L5 coaches to me, that, “too bad Cape Scott is so difficult to access for course work”.

Karl

The NW Coast

– Last Updated: Jun-18-09 8:58 PM EST –

has always been impressive to me.

I would like to kayak in places like that but I have seen what it's like out there and couldn't say for sure if I would go out until I got there.

Edit:

I would also have a 4* and 5* assessment by a qualified advanced open water instructor.

Yak, if you ended up around here in
the summer, you might drop a line to the Flatpick’s and Otterslide’s of the world to find out what courses they have in the neighborhood. Good way to get out there to see what you can do. (*No connection, personal or commercial.)

Dogmaticus

Definitely
that would be awesome. I wanted to take a class from Flatpick in April but wound up doing the longer pre and post festival classes with Ben, Karen, Kathy, and Jeff… At the festival Flatpick was out with his class the only morning I was there… Ben suggested I take the level 4 training but I wanted to space it out a little more… I can roll and brace well in the surf and comfortable in conditions around here…

except for

– Last Updated: Jun-19-09 2:00 PM EST –

some ACA instructor courses I presently am not coaching locally anymore. www.Aldercreek.com (where Karl works) or Ginni Callihan (www.columbiariverkayaking.com)are the two locals I know of.

and of course if you venture further N there's Chris Mitchell (falcon on p.net) www.secondwindsports.net and BBB (www.bodyboatblade.com)

steve

Both great choices. NM

oly outer coast
I paddled the entire coast some years ago with several friends from the Port Angeles area.

This was/is one of the most beautiful trips I’ve done to date.

The conditions varied from 8-10 foot swell to millpond landings to 4-5 foot surf at #2 beach, a number of us capsized, bailed or rolled up.

Remember that this is open ocean coastal conditions, lots of exposure to the elements. Practice surf landings/wet exits/rolls.

Learn the coast with map reading, good mental preperation a must. Plan on enjoying this trip, it’s wonderful!!!

Pictures in calm conditions
Here are some shots of our trips to Cape Flattery, Point of Arches, and the Straits of Juan de Fuca in perfect conditions.

It’s doable if you pick your days very carefully.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/553615274CVsQAq?start=48

whew
them are F L A T conditions. I have never seen it like that!

steve

I have once or twice. I said to a
friend there with me for a first time to not get used to it.

Dogmaticus

Lunch
The coast around the NP can, and will, bonk you on the head and eat your lunch! The parks service does encourage visitation. You can get there easy enough on foot. The problem with guiding people in those conditions is that when the feces hits the oscillator there is no way out. On land you can stop, have a snack and come up with a plan. Out around that area you have to just do it. There are many people out there that think they know what they are doing because they learned all the tricks of the trade on a lake. They can roll and tow and rescue their buddy in lake chop and some wind, perhaps they’ve been out in some protected salt. The PNW (OR, WA and BC) coast is no joke. Their are boomer fields, awful soup zones with multiple breaks, huge logs performing aerial stunts and clapotis. I love it, but I sure didn’t start out there and speaking as a former guide, I sure wouldn’t go there without people I already know and trusted.