One more GoreTex drysuit question

Likely the same
The drysuit itself doesn’t impart a great difference in insulation. It’s the lofting layers worn underneath that provides the insulation value.

The Surge material transpires at a faster rate than the 3.21 Pro material, although even on a distance workout the 3.21 Pro GoreTex of my Radius does it’s level best to keep up with me.

Also consider atmospheric conditions in helping or hindering the transpiration rate. If you’re icing up or in the water swimming, the osmotic effect is going to be slowed vs. a low humidity breezy day.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

Semi-dry
Paddling suit is labeled semi-dry because of the neoprene neck gasket, which can be cinched tighter. Marshall’s video on the Surge notes that if you go fish viewing, perhaps a couple of tablespoons of water will enter the neck. I found a couple of reviews by guys who rolled while wearing the Surge and they backed that up. The neck is very comfortable.

On the other hand, the Expedition I rented has a large size neck gasket so that wasn’t an issue, but a tight latex neck gasket is on my mind because I don’t like anything tight around my neck (I usually wear mock turtleneck shirts)

Paddled today; 52F and sunny, but the NW winds were 15 kts. Whitecaps and a slog in sections. Layers under the Expedition were a merino/poly long sleeved undershirt and a 3/4 fleece zip on top, and fleece lined tights on the bottom. Water felt much colder today on my legs when doing the burp thing, but was fine on top then and while I paddled. Probably in my head, but I felt the drysuit had better wind resistance.

The Expedition rear zipper is a major PITA. Literally.

Watertightness of neo neck
Just to confuse things for you, on my skinnier neck any neo gasket is a lot less dry around the neck than for a guy with a thicker neck. I have paddled with enough of them to note this.

It really comes down to how much you mind getting wet if you decide to do a session with a lot of time in the water, like rolling practice on a day that is not balmy warm. Or being rescue bait on a practice session. If you plan of being in the water a lot, the latex neck gasket will make a noticeable diff in comfort.

Thank you, Celia,
for all that good advice.

Yesterday’s results with paddling suit

– Last Updated: May-08-16 11:38 AM EST –

I taught an Intro to Sea kayaking class yesterday and wore my Kokatat Tropos paddling suit. Maybe a half dozen rolls, a bunch of full head immersion wet exits, and significant time in the water. Had the neck gasket as cinched down as possible. My shirt was wet with a few tablespoons worth of water by end of class.

I do have a large neck, so think I seal neo neck gaskets better than many other people.

I do find that the extra comfort of neo is worth it for many cases for me over the rubbing I get with my latex gasket suit.

Appreciate that info, Peter
When I had the Surge here, I recall getting that neo neck gasket over my head was no easy feat. It was snug, but not unbearably so.

I just don’t know which way to go. There’s much to like about the Radius aesthetically. Pockets on each sleeve and in the pants is a big plus. But the neck gasket is a big unknown. If it fit like the one in the Expedition I have here, then no concern. But that suit’s a medium with a size L neck gasket (there were no size S rentals). I’d need a size small and that means a small neck gasket according to the Kokatat sizing chart.

Wish the Surge had pockets.

Pockets
Why do you need the pockets? I can fit my key (attached to lanyard in the pocket), granola bar or two, chapstick, sunscreen stick, and a few other items in the two pockets of my PFD.

Astral YTV
is what I wear. Minimalist design and two small pockets. I do have a Kokatat Tactic Pack which attaches to the back of my PFD. I use that when I need to carry lots of stuff (energy bars, extra sunglasses, sunscreen, the kitchen sink, etc.)

Carrying my cell phone on me rather than on my deck is a plus. I also use an iPod when doing LSD. Would be nice to carry that in a pocket as well.

Ahh…
I keep phone in a waterproof case around my neck, so I guess I haven’t needed a pocket for that.

Other reasons for pockets
Hand held compass. Shiny signal thing. Laser flare. Magnifying lens for reading a chart or a GPS screen if the cheater glasses have come off the croakie and gone swimming on you. Ear plugs for an impulse to practice rolling (too much water will do a job on your hearing). Bigger whistle that someone might actually hear from more than a few feet away. Snack bar or energy gel packets. Knife or other cutting device. Smaller size - on your body VHF unit. Health insurance card and basic ID so they are on you if you and the boat separate.

I think I may have forgotten a couple of smaller things - but there is lots that can go into pockets or in the vicinity of them.

Surge GT vs Drysuit GT
In response to Celia -

2) Both the Surge and the a regular drysuit are Goretex, and should be the same Goretex. No diff in the material unless I just misread something.

The Surge Suit is the LIGHTEST most BREATHABLE of the GoreTex packages. It is lighter and therefore not as warm as the Drysuit that you use Celia.

All other info is spot on!

Suz

Comforting to know
that my recollection of feeling colder in the Surge wasn’t just in my head.