One more nail in the forum's coffin

Glad it helped, but yikes! A broken foot??? That’s simply awful. Not going to ask how you managed that (other than presuming it wasn’t paddling); just wishing you quick healing.

Thanks… I went to kick the cat and missed… or something like that…

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m out of here for good.
This is my last post.
If any one opens a new normal forum, (similar to the original forum, not the last one, but the very first one) I hope one of my friends will alert me to it

Jack L

1 Like

Ditto
Jack L… ok so here’s my 20 characters :nauseated_face:

Science of web page evolution. Been in IT for 40 years and though there were was no www when I started, last 15 years constantly see the gui interfaces change. This format is really pretty good.
I have witnessed my paddling haunts naturally change in the last 15 years as well. Evolution.
Don’t go JackL, come on buddy we adapt.

4 Likes

Thanks so much, I greatly appreciate your comments.
Yes, we do all the technical work but what I love the most about the forums is how many new and progressing paddlers it has helped and that is entirely the community. This move was done entirely to help drive the success of the community even though the change appears to be far more painful to some than we had anticipated.

2 Likes

You think? I don’t.

Check out how many horrible and downright dangerous boats get rave reviews here. Maybe you consider them separate from the forums, but if people trust the advice received from members they are just as likely to trust the reviews you host. There is a serious lack of accountability here.

No one in their right mind continues a project like this motivated only by altruism.

What’s the story on the busted foot? Trip over a conch shell? Hope it heals soon.

Yes, this is absolutely a for-profit small business. We come to work every day to get a paycheck. It is also a sport and a community about which we are really passionate.

As for the reviews, they are all submitted by paddlers of all types. I don’t think there is any nefarious motive behind any review. The folks that submit reviews are also passionate about paddling and love the boat they have.

As for the community, look at the Go Paddling map/app, the paddling.com team built the structure but everyone in the community added the locations, details, photos and more.

1 Like

Wanting Kayak info, I just signed up :grinning:
However Looking at the other forums I frequent, looks like they are all based on vbulletin.
A lot of very useful info here, however very disappointed that it’s it’s not in a similar format.

@BBQ_Ribs
Welcome to the forum. Variety is the spice of life. :upside_down_face:

@Rookie
True, But familiarity can turn a pond into a lake

I’m with magooch!

Hey @Jonathan and @magooch have you tried the other them options? Simple and Classic both have a look similar to other forum sites.

From a strictly development standpoint, Discourse, which is what the forums are now running on, was 10x better than any other available platform. We will keep tweaking the settings/themes/etc. to make it more user-friendly.

Thanks for your patience.

This is HORRIBLE Iam gone if it stays this way. its unusable.

I so agree. this is hard to find even the correct forum I wanted. this is crazy BAD,.

Can you flip Discourse so the most recent posts appear first? Having to scroll down past old posts , sometimes from years ago is not user friendly

1 Like

kayakmedic,
You can set that up quite easily.

Not really helpful at least to me. I am talking about the date order in individual threads. Not what is the latest thread.