One more nail in the forum's coffin

To my knowledge nearly all message boards sort the posts by the original post at the top and the latest at the bottom.

A few ways to get to the latest post:

1. On a list of topics, you should see a number by the latest posts (for those that you are following). If you click on that, it will get you to the latest post(s)
  2. When you are on page for a particular topic, use the “timeline.” It is either a vertical slider when you are on a tablet/desktop/laptop or a horizontal bar on the bottom in mobile.
1 Like

As stated previously, this old guy has no problem with it and I’m a computer phobe.

2 Likes

Ditto

2 Likes

Have you tried the different themes? Simple and Classic look pretty much like the previous version.

1 Like

Don’t you automatically arrive at the first unread post in a thread? I do, and I haven’t changed any settings.

I’m using the dark theme…rather like it. It will take me some time to get use to all the features. Seems doable. I haven’t tried to post any pictures yet.

It all seems workable to me. I’ll still come and look

1 Like

Easy peasy to post photos. Same as previous version.

2 Likes

No… Remember way back when the thread had subthreads but the entire subthread content was not shown till you clicked on it. That was way more compact. Windows 10 Google Chrome new PC

Ok. Then it behaves differently for you than for me. I arrive at the first unread - which is exactly where I want to be.

@Allan_Olesen - that is how it should work for everyone.

@kayamedic - what are you seeing?

The oldest first… I have to scroll down to find your post as it is 49th. I am a speed reader and I understand the default is unread if I have spent more than four minutes on a thread. That almost never happens unless I am participating which I have not. Having lots to do around the house before winter snows that four minute limit is not soon

Well, Having just returned from the Ozark 'Vous, I was intending to post a quick trip report and remembrances of WildernessWeb who was so instrumental in getting that gathering going. I had very limited time to make that post since I was committed to going to Mn to take a friend to the Mayo Clinic for some testing… But found I had to relearn how to use the board first. Isn’t that the way of this computer age? Greatest communication tool in the history of mankind and nothing a person ever learns about using it stays learned for more than a year or two. But we have to try because its the only game in town anymore. So I guess I’ll take some more time figuring this iteration out and hope there’s still anybody who might care about such a post by the time I can do so with a minimal degree of competence. Later, all.

2 Likes

Looking forward to hearing about the fun that was had. Board may look different, but writing and inserting photos are the same as before.

I saw that Brian wrote about those 4 minutes too, and I was horrified. I don’t need 4 minutes in a thread. Anyway, it is obviously not 4 minutes for me. The “jump to first unread” works for me in threads where I have spent much less than 4 minutes.

I wonder if Brian meant 4 seconds, not 4 minutes?

@Allan_Olesen and @kayamedic

The 4-minutes I was referring to was the amount of time you spend on a particular thread to “watch” it. This just means you will be notified of updates. Note that 4 minutes is just the default. You can change it to your liking in the settings.

Brian, thanks for all your work. And to the folks who have been helping participants on how to solve their issues with the new format.

I would lay odds that most of the people complaining have had to learn a highly revised or new OS within the last three years because of going to a new computer/laptop/phone etc. Like pre-Windows 10 to 10, etc.

But you can’t manage changes to stay in contact with this paddling resource…

2 Likes

I am closing this post. Please add any new feedback here instead: