one week away from accepting

delivery on a Kayakpro Jet…

if anyone knows, send me a link to order the flotation bags best for it.

There is a local guy that could glass in some bulkheads but where would you get the pressure relief valves that P&H uses for their bulkheads?

Not valves - holes
There are no valves per se in P&H bulkheads for pressure relief, assuming you are talking about the kayaks. The effect is gained by a small hold drilled in the bulkhead. This will relieve enough pressure that the hatch covers won’t have to hugely expand or contract, but still leaves the bulkheads bone dry. The hole is usually about two thirds of the way up.

And yes, the bulkhead stays really really dry. (unless you drill too big a hole I suppose) We added this to our NDK and Valley boats, I forget if the Vela already had it, and there has been NO water leakage from anywhere due to it. The NDK and Valley bulkheads that were bone dry before are still bone dry, and the hole hasn’t increased the tendency for a small bit of water to make it under the ridiculously huge rear oval hatch cover on the Vela.

P&H Valves
Current P&H kayak bulkheads do have a small rubber valve instead of just the bare hole as they had in the bulkheads in the past.

Any P&H dealer can order up some valves for you, if they don’t have them on hand.

Congrats on your new kayak!

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

I stand corrected
Must not have looked closely enough at the newer boats.

Gotta ask though, since our experience that a small drilled hole works fine, what is the advantage of sticking a rubber thingie in there? I am also wondering if that means a larger hole, and/or an arrangement that is dependent on the rubber valve staying in place.

bump
Hoping for an answer to Celia’s question.

– Mark

I bet it’s a P&H thing
P&H have always finished their boats with greater detail than other Brit manufacturers. Maybe the valve (like the tape along the seam between the deck and under coaming) is to look ‘finished’.

The rubber valve
is so that when you roll, and if water gets into the cockpit, it does not drain into the for and aft sections when your upside down.

Also, if you got really swamped, and the cockpit filled, water would not drain into the for and aft sections, instead they would act as flotation.

Rubber valve unnecessary for dryness

– Last Updated: Feb-06-08 12:35 AM EST –

As I said above, we have very small diameter holes in our bulkheads and they are bone dry. And I can assure you the boats get plenty wet in rolling etc. So a rubber valve is not needed to insure dryness - a plain old (quite) small drilled hole works. And the hole that will not let water in is still enough to keep the hatch covers from making like marshmallows on a hot day.

So - to try again - what is the advantage of adding the complication of a rubber thing?