Onno Paddles

One Man Shop
You have to realize that everytime Pat leaves the shop, there is no one left to answer the phone.

If he spent too much time on the internet, or on the phone, he wouldn’t get his paddles made and out the door.

I didn’t have any problem communicating with him.

Small shops take time and produce

– Last Updated: Jan-28-05 8:35 PM EST –

unique function and beauty. Want great product at a great price? Want to support the owner of the business who loves paddling, and loves good quality and want to make a decent living rather than employ lot's of lower wage workers?

Buy an Onno, buy tideline, buy west side boat shop, buy Surge marine (if you like fast strong straight-tracking boats). somewhat in the same vein, buy qcc if that floats you boat.

And learn to wait a bit. Life is not a commodity.

When you cannot wait, the buy a more mass produced product. And accept the lesser value of the material produce, but the greater value of the timeliness.

Sometimes the schedule dictates a quick meal; that's not so bad in the kayaking field these days. Lots of shops stock werner, lendal and other good brands. Sometimes there is time to wait for an artisanal feast. Sometimes you just hire the chef and buy a top of the line epic, and suffer the monetary consequences. while you laugh insanely with joy.

throw in kevlar boats -
and i’ll think CoffeeII has returned !!

dihedral reversed is
anhedral

I don’t buy green bananas

But I don’t mind waiting for some things, I’ve built two kayaks so I’ve learned two be patient. It’s once I made a buy decision I couldn’t get though to Pat. Maybe it was a time zone thing… :wink:

Interesting how this thread
has fewer responses this morning than it did last night.

Holmes

I’ve dealt with …
Patrick and Betsie(Al, too, of course) and I think they’re all terrific! I had three phone conversations with Pat, and I couldn’t believe the detail he went into! I received my Onno in two weeks and will never use a heavier paddle again. (I adore my carbon GP, but it weighs just a little more than my Onno.)Betsie and Al are lovely people and my Valkyrie is a delight.(If only I could get over this frozen shoulder and PADDLE again!!)

what is a Jstroke?
I hit and switch

I have talked to Patrick on the phone-
ordered exactly what he recommended-waited patiently and got a terrific paddle. His paddle is not difficult to join or take apart-if you follow his instructions carefully. I have had zero problems with the Onno blade after more than a year of hard use.

a few questions for you sing…
First off, thanks for your thoughts on the paddles. I’m looking to buy a couple paddles in the near future and Onno is currently on top of a very short list (Werner and Lightning also being considered). I know you’re more of a surf yakker these days, but how did the paddle perform in whitewater? How is it for playboating? Also in terms of the strength issue, is that a real concern? Currently I’m paddling with an all carbon Werner Sidekick and I have no concerns at all about its durability and strength in terms of dealing with the occassional rock (I’m not creeking). Are the Onno blades thinner? Also in terms of length… 170? Really? I always thought that we were around the same size (I’m 5’8", 150 lbs) and I paddle whitewater with a 194. I will probably go a little shorter but not by too much. Is there a significant advantage to going that short on a paddle?

Thanks again for your help. Currently my plans are to pick up a two piece touring paddle (60 degree offset) along with a one piece whitewater paddle (zero degree offset) in the next few months or so. I’m looking at Carbon Signature for the touring paddle and was looking at the same for whitewater, but if you really think the fiberglass would be a better choice, I may have to rethink things.

Thoughts…

– Last Updated: Jan-30-05 7:40 AM EST –

I am 5'3" tall. :) I started off using a 194 Werner Quest. Felt too long and went down to 191 Seven2. I got the 180 Big Spoons prototype paddle from Mike S. who felt bad about me losing my Seven2 in the RISK trashing I took last winter. I found I really like the length of the Big Spoons for surfing. However, in white water, I found I was missing alot of the "trout lie" eddies behind midstream rocks. Better technique would help but I figure I cheat a little with a longer paddle so I can reach behind the rock and pull me in. So, I ordered a custom 185 cm Werner glass Player with 30 offset and take apart shaft. I then ordered the Onno at 185 cm and 15 offset.

I find I like the Onno better than the Werner Player in WW. Actually, the Onno is my go to paddle for ww. Same length but the smaller offset and slightly bigger blades than the Werner seem to give be better ability to squirt, brace and roll. I don't do boney runs. The only time I worried about the Onno is in some tight fast moving eddies, next to a playhole/wave. Waiting in line, I sometimes bang the blades against the rocks trying to stay in place. But, it hasn't been a problem. My Big Spoons really don't like rocks. The edges of the carbon fiber blades splinters when I ding 'em. So I have to sand and epoxy the blade edges every so often. I save the Big Spoons for surf where I like the shorter length and bigger blade (same size as the Onno).

The reason I want a shorter paddle is strictly for surf, probably 0 degree offset when I do. I want quick acceleration and then to have the blade out of the way when I tight up against a steep wave face. So, 170 cm I am thinking. I know several more skilled and dedicated surf kayakers, much taller than me, who are using the paddles in the 160-165 cm range. That's a little too radical for me right now. (shrug).

My custom carbon Onno was less expensive than my custom glass Werner. My prototype carbon Big Spoons was scored with "pity points."

Woe is me... anyone want to give me a 170 cm, zero offset paddle? :D

sing

thanks sing!
That helps a lot. Unfortunately here in the midwest our runs are pretty boney unless we’re at high water. Regardless, Patricks glass/carbon paddle is still lighter than my Werner all carbon paddle. At his prices, I could probably afford to chip a paddle or two and it seems that he stands behind his paddles so I shouldn’t worry about a blade snapping off. I’ll talk to Patrick in the next couple of months and go with his recommendations I’m sure.

ONNO WW !!
I had Patrick make me one this past fall and it is now my main paddle . I live in the midwest- [Illinois] and all of our ww is boney !! This paddle holds up well as long as you don’t treat it a 2x4 . I’ve always used automotive door trim [thin clear type]on the blade edge with good results on my ww paddles . It keeps the glass and carbon from chipping when dealing with rocks !

Working with Pat was a pleasure ! - It did take 2 phone calls - but he called me back and spent all the time we needed in deciding how to build my paddle . I went with his hybrid as I like the slight flex of a fiberglass shaft . Having the shaft wetsanded makes it great once your hands get wet !

The WW blade shape is great !! It allows me to roll boats that I normally have problems with effotlessly ! I have no problems with the blade diving - but I use a pretty high angle stroke . I think you can’t go wrong with his paddles . Gale

appreciate the comments!

– Last Updated: Jan-30-05 2:35 PM EST –

Yeah midwest rivers involve a lot of boulder gardens which are fun but hard on paddles. Glad to hear that you like the paddle. I'm not a huge fan of the fiberglass flex as I love the responsiveness of a nicely stiff carbon paddle shaft. My current whitewater paddle is more than adequate right now (full carbon Werner) but I would like another one as a back up. I would happily delegate the Werner to become the backup if the ONNO paddles as well as everyone says. So far here's my paddle purchase list:

1. Touring paddle from ONNO (my heavy Bending Branches is desperately crying out to become a spare)
2. Hand paddles (need a backup for whitewater)
3. Whitewater paddle from ONNO

Too bad I already spent my tax refund! Man I thought kayaking would be a cheap sport! :) I already have several boats and a ton of gear but my list of things to buy this year keep getting bigger! (need river knife, throw rope, another skirt for my newest boat, first aid kit, maybe rescue PFD, paddles...) I need to start saving my pennies for Canoecopia and ONNO!

Replacing a Werner Camano
It’s word of mouth that led me to call Patrick. I knew what I wanted and he knows what he’s doing. I emailed, he called, I paid using PayPal, he shipped by priority mail. A seamless deal, could not have been better. I got my paddle last week. It has not yet pulled my boat past that first few gallons of water. My first trip with it is planned for this weekend. It will get me to the White Bass running up the West fork of the San Jacinto river North of Houston. The paddle is a beautiful piece of work and I’ll post a review on this website when I get home. We are all very fortunate to have this great, simple sport, this website, and products of Patricks quality.

I must admit
that I am surprised by all the responses to my initial email. Similar to many responses above, I had a great experience working with Patrick. I got an extra beefy build-up and I basically got what I ordered. I think I can understand what some have said regarding the paddle dipping during sculling, but after a little time it really doesn’t seem all that different from my Nimbus Wavewalker or my Werner. The big difference is when you pull the thing - it’s super solid and is heads and tales above most competitors - in my opinion, of course.

Good Guy…
Went by Pats house in Pacific Beach one day to say hi but missed him. Had numerous email strings and spoke with him on several occasions as well.

Super Guy.

I just wonder the most about …

whether Patrick would consider making a Carbon GP.

What do you say, Pat?

No doubt that at makes a super paddle
but price difference from onno is considerable.

I am so bummed!
I just went out to the truck to grab my Onno Full Tour and discovered that the back of my truck had been broken into and the Full Tour along with my San Juan back-up had been horked! Gone! Outta here. I waiting fot the cops to show up to file the report. Not that it will do any good but…you know what really ticks me off? Those paddles were in an old cloth open end ski bag. My deck bag, pump, spray deck and pfd were all still there so some punk kid didn’t even know what he was stealing. Those paddles have probably been destroyed by hitting rocks like baseballs.

I am bummed!

missing paddles!
Sorry to hear it & they got your spare too. I think it’s the piece of gear that you become the most attached to (like an old friend). I hope you will be able to borrow something until you can replace them. I left a really nice all carbon (gift) on a bank in the 80’s & went right back, but nothing. Many friends with the same story, but none lost two at once. If you were in my town, I would give you something to keep on the water. Good luck

Dwan