Opinions of Eddyline Sandpiper 130

Looking for opinions of anyone who has a Eddyline Sandpiper 130. I know its a fairly new boat. If you have one what do you think of it. Where have you taken it? Best uses for it.
Thanks

The Sandpiper 130 is a recreational kayak. Rec kayaks are best paddled on calm inland waters or slow moving rivers.

Where would you prefer to paddle?

Paddled one for a few months. Stable as a rock and plays well in some light chop. Be sure to pick up a cockpit skirt from Eddyline or prepared to get some water in. My two biggest complaints are that it it’s sluggish as expected for such a wide beam boat. Nimble enough for bogs and tight creeks but be prepared to really dig in to make it move. Look for a high angle paddle or something like an Aquabound Eagle Ray (my favorite all around paddle for any boat ).
Second, I hated the seat. it’s uncomfortable and if you want to dial into your boat, forget about it. trying to brace via the thigh pads will make your hips sore.
It’s a good boat for its intended use- calm flatwater. Super stable and so easy to get in and out of. Humungous storage options for stowing gear.

Personally I find the seat really comfortable and love pulling up on a beach and having my own beach chair. I agree with Dbrieva about difficulty in dialing into your boat. I’ve mostly solved this by modifying my seat. Here are some pics.

1 Like

Thanks for the pix, but how did you modify the seat? I don’t know what it looked like to begin with.

Both Eddyline dealers in my area pre-sell all of their the 13-footers so I’ve had no opportunity to test paddle. I did have a chance to see one being prepped for delivery … a nice looking boat for sure. However, I’m more conscious of weight these days (my knees and back are, at least) and the numbers are surprising. Eddyline specs say the 13’ model weighs 11 lbs more than the 12’ (49 vs 38 lbs) and gives you only 40 lbs more max capacity (390 vs 350 lbs). The excess weight is a deal-breaker for me, and I suspect that seat is responsible for much of it.
Bottom line? It has the expected Eddyline quality and look; the hull width and hard chines suggest good stability, but it’s heavy for a thermoform sit-inside kayak. It’s not built for speed so I’d probably choose a low angle touring paddle with medium blade surface area (Werner Camano or the more affordable Cannon Nokomis, for example) and just enjoy the boat as a casual flat water cruiser.