Opinions on Evoke Paddlesports Rec Kayak

I am in the market for a rec kayak for my wife so she can join me and our son. Want to stay in the $500 range and was leaning towards either a Heron 11XT or Zydeco 11.0 when I found a local dealer who is offering the Evoke Paddlesports Navato 100 $90 below MSRP(around the same price I found the 11XT for). Not familiar with this company but the yak seems to have more bells and whistles than the other two, minus the shorter length.

Anyone have any experience with these? Or opinions in general?

Options
Are your other shopping options box stores or online outlets? If so, go support your local dealer at a better price. If there’s someone here that can speak to the Evoke brand experience I’ll defer but otherwise it seems to be what would be expected of a rec kayak. At least that’s what struck me when I saw the brand at a trade show but I did not research it as its a class of kayak I don’t specialize in.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

I hope you dont paddle fast
Its 30 inch’s wide so its going to be a slow boat. Don’t expect much speed with it. If that’s ok then go for it. Other option look used if possible.

Supporting local dealer.
Regardless the choice, I am purchasing from a local dealer. I don’t care for box stores and online searches have not resulted in any good deals. Local dealer for Old Town can get me a Heron 11XT for 519.00. I am still waiting to hear back from the local Dagger dealer about the Zydeco. I had narrowed my choices down to these two before learning of a local Evoke dealer. I never heard of this brand and could not find any online reviews so I figured I’d ask here.

Open to other options in my price range.
I’m not too concerned about the width as I expect her to do more floating than paddling. I am paddling a 13’ Manitou and my son has a 12’ Looksha. Do you think the difference would be significant? Keep in mind she wanted a mountain bike last year that is still hanging on the wall so I am reluctant to spend too much at first. I have been looking at used kayaks on craigslist but the selection this time of year isn’t good.

Local dealers
You have three local dealers selling rec. style kayaks? Awesome! The box stores haven’t squeezed out the independents by you!

As to your wife’s kayak, you could apply double reverse psychology and get her a 31lb. Carbon Lincoln Chebeague which if she didn’t seem that into you would have to do the maintenance of taking it out to paddle for her. You must keep these things hydrated, you know. Let me know if I can help be an enabler for your kayak fix.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

well
Well I don’t know for sure but your boat is 24.75 and sons boat is 25.5 were your wife’s will be 30 inches wide. I would hold off a while and look used till you absolutely need it. Maybe a local shop has a demo for sale?

Other options
Spend another $80 and check out Perceptions Conduit 13 at Dick’s. I’m not crazy about that store but this is a lot of boat for the price. Safer with two bulk heads, faster being longer and thinner. If you go Old Town, look for a triple layer Loon. Hope she loves whatever you decide, great family activity.

Follow-up
Just wanted to follow up on our decision. Made the two hour drive to our “local” kayak dealer and really did not like any of the models I had researched by Necky and Old Town, then asked him about Perception, which I did not research very much. During our discussion, I mentioned the Conduit 13, and it just so happened they had one left for $550, in the color my wife preferred. Sold!

Thanks everyone for their advice and opinions.