Orlando/ Tampa Bay

Any really cool places in the Central Florida area to kayak?

So far Clearwater and Mos. Lagoon are on the must yak list!

Central Florida kayaking
The Silver River, Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run, Juniper Creek, Alexander Creek, Econlockhatchee River—these are some of my favorites. Mosquito Lagoon is great for dolphins and manatees, but it does live up to its name when there is no breeze, or after sunset.

Do you need directions?

kayaking in central florida
If you want to kayak/snorkel in crystal clear water, then the Rainbow River and Weeki Wachee River are musts, but they’re about 2 hours from Orlando. I live in Apopka near Rock Springs Run and Wekiwa River and they’re good wilderness trips, but not good for swimming, which is what my family likes to do on trips.

Central Florida paddling

– Last Updated: Feb-18-06 3:45 AM EST –

You might want to try the Hillsborough River, especially the upper sections. I personally enjoy the stretch from Crystal Springs Road Bridge to the Hillsborough River State Park. In this section the waters are usually clear until you get to the confluence of Blackwater Creek. There are small rapids to run, little islands to picnic on (Beware of the poison ivy!). It can be a whole 'nother animal during the rainy season, though.
The only drawbacks are you need to work out a shuttle system which means leaving a vehicle at the park, which means paying a park entrence fee (under $4.00). Both vehicles can go in the park to drop off the one car. Just tell them your plans and they'll happily work with you.
I also suggest the Chassahowitzka River and its spring-fed creeks. 20 miles NW of Brookesville on US Highway 98 across US 19. It's one of Florida's best kept secrets. Enjoy!

Also on Florida’s Gulfcoast
you can paddle Terra Ceia bay, Egmont key, Fort DeSoto, Bishop’s Harbor, Cockroach Bay, Alafia River, Weedon Island, Caladesi Island, Honeymoon Island and Three Rooker Bar, Anclote key, Hunter’s Creek, Jenkin’s Creek, Bay Port at Pine Island, Weeki-Wachee River, Chassahowitzka River, Mason Creek and Porpoise Bay, Cedar Key, Wacasassa River, Steinhatchee, etc…

It’s all up to you.