Oru kayak's reckless and irresponsible advertising

I don’t think this post has anything to do with the law.
It is about using some common sense to keep from drowning.
Thanks to MA. Keep it up. This is a good example of an outrage.

I ask people on a drift boat forum why they row with snow on the ground wearing waders with no PFD. Some of them tell me take a hike. They get really pissed off about it. Some Americans have developed a strong “don’t tell me what to do” streak. Okay its your life buddy.

1 Like

They’re definitely stepping up the safety factor, judging from this recent post in their Facebook page:

2 Likes

Oh yes a mom with toddler is a huge step up in safety at Oru! Their marketing department is asking for law suits.

1 Like

Yes. A quick scroll through their page and you’ll see tons of scary shots.

Contrary to their sales hype, Oru has no commitment to safe paddling. The toddler pic is another example of their reckless approach. Spring is also when we see a jump in close calls and fatalities because people are tired of being cooped up all winter and jump at the first warm, sunny day - when the water temps are still lethal. Oru claims that many of the pix we included in our video were pre 2018. Maybe so, but who knows - those pics are still on their website and FB page. And a lot of the ones we highlighted were from 2022 or late 2021. A month ago, they used this image on their FB page:
February Image 2
Snow on the slopes, cold enough for a hat and down jacket, but not a wetsuit or drysuit to be seen.

Yes, and check out this “Self Rescue” video of theirs. The kayak appears to be totally free of water as the guy demonstrates the cowboy rescue, his entire attitude seems to be that this stuff is no sweat, and then when he talks about water getting into the cockpit we see him easily pump out maybe two gallons of water as he says “It’s not a big deal.” No mention of spray skirts or knowing how to do wet exits. The only mention of float bags is a scroll across the top of the video while he’s talking. Then in the comments, where many people are asking how to self rescue in their open cockpit Orus, no response.

Notice how they cut to a new camera angle each time he capsizes? My guess is he capsizes, shot ends with him horizontal, the boat fills with water, support boat comes and empties it, then the shot resumes with it 99% empty and upright.

I have literally capsized 1000 times in canoes, kayaks, and surf skis. Not a single time did the boat turn over with that little water in it so I refuse to believe this video at face value. Even my surfski cockpit usually fills fully with water when i capsize and there is nothing holding me in the seat so I fall out and it self-rights almost immediately. an Oru would not do that.

Oru - Show me a wet exit and recovery in 1 continuous shot and I’ll believe it.

6 Likes

Everyone wants to be the one to invent the Hula Hoop , market it and make their fortune.

{with no liability}

So how quick is quick enough, in terms of satisfying the request that they be more safety conscious?

A day. A week, 4 hours?

If they hired an advertising agency to shoot this footage, then they are sitting on hundreds of photos of crappy safety practices. To change that, they have to take down the old images and then re-shoot the ad campaign. The first part could happen very quickly, the second takes weeks or months to accomplish. It may be asking a lot for a company to turn on the dime like that.

Having said that, the post above from a couple of days ago suggests they are not turning (on a dime or otherwise), assuming whomever handles their social media knew about the public outcry. That picture just about horrifies me as a parent, folding boat or not.

That looks like a FB post. I’m not that familiar with FB but on Instagram you can “report” a post as inappropriate. Someone with free time on their hands could just report their posts and eventually after enough reports, the post will be taken down. That would be bad for sales!

“As a genreal rule non-motorised crafts do have the right-of-way over a motorised craft.”
Actually if you read state and federal and international boating laws (COLREGS) you will see that NO vessel has “right of way” by virtue of being non-motorized. Instead “right of way,” more properly called stand on or give way vessel obligations, is situational and is determined by how vessels approach each other and by the waterway in which they are operating. For example a non-motorized vessel must give way when overtaking ANY vessel, to vessels constrained by draft and to commercial vessels engaged in fishing and to vessels restricted in their ability to maneuver. You have an obligation even if you are the stand on vessel, which is to maintain your course and speed and to avoid a collision. Kayakers would be wise to learn the actual rules: Rules of the Road : BoatUS Foundation

Our isn’t the only one…maybe just the most blantant. This one came from a link on Facebook where a young lady was fixing to paddle on a snowy day.

Well, if l were to be picky l could say that my old NDK ExplorerLV and the Romany scoop extraordinarily little water as long as you get in from the first capsize.
But part of the reason is the two bulkheads, so they can only scoop into the cockpit.

Agree, l find this one hard to believe.

Coast Guard approved? For what?

1 Like

Signaling device. When it dumps you in the water and you can’t get back in, take your handheld flair (You were carrying a flare, right?), light the flare, and use the flare to light the Oru on fire to generate smoke visible for miles.

4 Likes

My guess is he capsizes, shot ends with him horizontal, the boat fills with water, support boat comes and brings him an entirely new boat.

Maybe I’m projecting, but I feel that Jeff looks a little bit ashamed of himself during this video.

Tucktec Kayaks are garbage, and they blatantly lie about Coast Guard Approval. Here’s an example from February:

Here’s another:

Note that all kayaks are required to have a “unique hull identification number” - it’s not an approval, it is a requirement. The Coast Guard doesn’t “approve” kayaks nor do they stipulate anything about manufacturing and safety requirements.

For a real eye-opener, watch this video a guy made about trying to self-rescue with a Tucktec kayak in his shallow pool.

You are too kind referring to that flexible thing by Tucktec as garbage.

2 Likes

Subtle hint in the upside down paddle. I look for that not to be a nudge but to see if it is a maker that cares at all about how anyone experienced will regard their stuff.

1 Like

A bit over dramatic!

They are not the only kayak company ( or ad agency) with poor paddling decisions and skills in picture and video ads showing people without life vests, holding the paddle upside down, etc.

1 Like

No they are not. But some companies respond more responsibly.
It is not wrong to call this out. A regional paddling guide a few years ago changed its cover photo and others to better reflect state’s paddling laws regarding PFDs. That ONLY happened because it was pointed out.

1 Like