OT Any weather buffs out there?

I recently got my Skywarn spotter certification…I’m wondering if anyone has any expertise on home weather stations. Can’t spend a billion dollars (that’s earmarked for paddling,LOL) Also any weather forums that are good?

Thanks,

Leigh

My home weather station is my hide.
That and weather.com and a fair knowledge of how systems move in my area.

Hi Lbaker , what is a Skywarn wx cert.
… it sounds as though to achieve the cert. you had to accomplish some in depth study regarding wx. .

Would this put you in the ranks of a spotter and or chaser ?

Would you be expected to notify a particular office of a significant meteorological event taking place ?

Yes, has nothing to do with paddling
other than having a little more knowledge of what to look for skyward in terms of severe weather. I’m something of a weather nut; when everyone else is hiding in the bathtub, I’m out taking pictures LOL.

Been that was since I was a kid (oh wait,I’m still a kid, well at heart anyway) Haven’t done any chasing…yet. I’m just fascinated by storms. I’ve only seen one tornado and it was just forming, VERY

COOL, of course it was headed away from me.

our local TV station…
…that invested in a doppler unit a few years ago now has an interactive web site so that you can observe live doppler radar & plot the various future scenarios just as the meteorologists do & choose for yourself (instead of relying on their judgement).

Davis
Makes topnotch weather stations in various price ranges. Wired or wireless, with all kinds of sensor options, including the ability to log data and download to the internet.

Check out WXforum.net and easternuswx.com

Thank you Glider!

AMS Member?
Just curious Leigh, but are you a member of the American Meteorological Society?

-B

My weather station…
Right now in the middle of a tropical storm… Water is almost over the dock…

lbaker , what will you be using …

– Last Updated: Aug-18-08 4:14 PM EST –

....... as your communication network ??
Do you have a HAM radio setup to be online with other spotters as the storm or SigMet. progresses to and from your station .

Isn't the whole idea of being part of the SkyWarn system , to be a chain in the link ??
Do you think you will become active in the network ??

You have a NWS Coordinating Meteorologist for you local . This is your primary contact , right ??

Since you are somewhere in the NE TX region , which office and coordinator would you work with , Shreveport LA , or Dallas/Fort Worth TX ??

Wouldn't your region be right at the southern most tip of what is considered "Tornado Alley" ??

Pilotwingz, Beanboy,Greyhawk
No ham radio, NWS Shreveport,800 number,or submit online. Nearest local emergency office 20+ miles away;I live in the boonies.

Not a member AMS,

and Greyhawk…that’s perfect!

It generally doesn’t work that way.

– Last Updated: Aug-19-08 12:08 AM EST –

Different areas of the country coordinate their weather spotters differently.

Here's the way it works around here.

1) You're not part of a chain. If using Amateur Radio, you report into "net control", which is a central hub manned by a few folks. These people manage traffic (information), weed out the spurious information and relay relevant info to the NWS. Generally, net control has a direct radio link to the NWS, spotters do not.

2) You don't have to be a Skywarn member to participate in the weather nets. You don't even need to own an amateur radio; there are many spotters who report directly to the NWS via an 800 number or a web page. In my neck of the woods, there's no notion of coordinator, group captain, head honcho or king of the hill; you report your information directly (to your local office) via any of the approved methods at your disposal.

3) As a spotter, you generally ignore reports from the news media, internet, Sigmets, Airmets, etc., because the NWS is already aware of that information...*they originated it*. Your job as a spotter, is generally to corroborate the data they are gathering via radar, etc. and to report what's happening where they don't "have eyes".

4) Anyone can become a spotter. Different areas gear training towards their geography, but there's generally a regular and advanced spotter course. These courses are generally a few hours long (one evening). In the midwest, where I am, chasing is discouraged, since the hilly terrain makes it extremely dangerous. Out west where one can see for miles, some spotters do take on a "chase" role, where they're deployed to a certain area as directed by the NWS. They're not usually chasing individual storms though.

And yes, Davis makes really great gear, but to be a spotter, all you really need is a decent rain gauge and a reasonably accurate anemometer if you want to go all out.

Phreon

I’m a meteorologist - Davis is my choice
Got my BS and MS in meteorology and am currently insane enough to keep working towards the doctorate. Davis is who I recommend for people that want a station that can hold up to inclimate weather. If those are still out of your range, you could try oregon scientific or what not, but just realize quality isn’t as good.

Keep in mind if you want to report severe wind gusts to keep the anemometer well away from obstacles for the best measurements. Congrats on your spotter certification. I storm chase, so I often communicate with other spotters.