OT - Camping stoves

Brunton Optimus Nova

– Last Updated: Feb-11-07 10:38 AM EST –

The design is genius and it simmers as well as my home stove. I can't comment on its longevity as
I bought it 2 years ago to replace the MSR multifuel which lasted 18 years without a problem, then died.

The wood stoves have alot of appeal. I may get one as a back up.

Lyn

I ususally dump the contents of
my backpack into the kayak, so that includes an alcohol stove…all the benefits of the alcohol stove have already been covered but there is a new product out there that makes the alcohol stove really really super efficient:

http://www.traildesigns.com/products01.html

Scroll down and look at the Caldera Cone…most times you have to make or carry a windscreen (for most all stoves but in particular with an alcohol stove). The Caldera Cone will let you boil 2 cups of water with 15ml’s of Heet and a smidgen less with Everclear…I haven’t experimented with the Esbit tabs and the Caldera Cone but I’m guessing 1/4 tablet might heat 2 cups enough…plus the Cone is super as in rock stable (would take a football to knock it over)…the designers even put a notch in it so your pot gripper can grab at it. When folded down the Caldera Cone takes up little room in the hold of your kayak.

Another MSR vote

– Last Updated: Feb-11-07 10:41 AM EST –

I've used my MSR XGK for over 20 years without a complaint in both altitude and sealevel environments. I've recently picked up a LittlBug ( www.littlbug.com )that i really like too.

I should add that I'm a bag-eater, so my only goal to is boil water as quickly and reliably as possible. The XGK isn't known for its ability to simmer.

and for those that dont know, the XGK
can burn almost any fuel on earth

stoves
I’ve been backpacking for 32 years, and I’ve bought a lot of stoves over that time. Here are some reviews (my opinions only!)

MSR whisperlite–white gas fuel; we had two of these, and although purists love them, I hated these stoves. You need to do a lot of field repairs, they’re fussy and finicky, and little pieces are always getting lost.

SVEA–white gas fuel–this thing worked for years and it’s a sturdy thing, but fussy in the wind. You have to prime it with white gas, and that can be messy and a little dangerous.

Coleman PEAK white gas–a piece of junk

(Other Coleman car camping stoves have worked fine for me, but I’m not impressed with their backpacking stoves. Finicky and fussy and die at bad times)

GAZ butane/propane–works great until you get to very cold weather (20 degrees or less); then the tank doesn’t have enough pressure. It’s wasteful, because you have to throw out the little tanks, but they’re very convenient.

MSR pocketrocket–also a butane/propane stove, and my favorite of all the above stoves. It’s super-light and easy to use, it never fails, and it’s not at all fussy or finicky. It does use disposable propane tanks, which gets to be wasteful and expensive, so I use this for mostly solo backpacking, or maybe for 2 people. It’s also great as a backup stove on a big group trip, so someone can quickly get the coffee going.

AND
works well in cold temps.

I second
the PocketRocket–easy to use, reliable, safe, but the canisters are, well, what they are. I’ve used one for a month and had much less trouble than friends with Whisperlites. For a week long trip, PocketRocket would be perfect.

I’d get that Coleman
I know. I know. The MSR is way better. But, just subjectively, I always wonder why people spend so much time fussing with them. Meanwhile, I’ll be cooking with the Coleman.

It is not light and compact. If your stove will do double duty as a backpack stove, you’ll pay a bit extra in pack weight and bulk. It’ll work, but not an elegant solution.

The Coleman is a decent product and you won’t go too far wrong making it your camping stove.

~Chip Walsh, Gambrills, MD

Miss My Svea 123
Loaned it out a few years ago and it never was returned. Looked on E-bay, have bidded on E-bay, but always get out-bid because I can’t see paying more for an old “Used” one than it cost new. But I sure miss that little stove that sounded like a 727 jet engine!

Had one of the Coleman Dual Fuel stoves, and it was a piece of crap from the first time I used it. Didn’t toss it in the water, but I DID TOSS IT about a couple campsites away when it failed for the upteenth time at one of our Ozark Rendevous’. Tried to GIVE it away and no “Takers.” it resides somewhere in the barn.

Been using one of the cheapo Coleman propane stoves for a few years now, and besides the “Bulkiness” of the cannisters, and the height of it, I have had no problems.

WW

Those who’ve had bad luck w/ Coleman…?
I’m curious. I’ve used and abused a fair selection of Coleman liquid fuel products over the years and have never experienced nor seen any problems that weren’t attributed to gross operator error. What model did you have trouble with? What was the problem? Did you contact the company?

Sure, their stuff isn’t ultra-premium level, but I think it’s fair to say it represents a good value.

I have no affiliation with Coleman; I’m just puzzled by vague comments describing unnamed gear as crap.

Phreon

The 442 is a good stove
I have an old Peak 1 model, and a 442 Feather dual fuel. I like them because I don’t have to mess around putting pieces together. I’ll use either one of them for canoe camping and backpacking. Never had any mechanical problems, though I did get a flare up when I overpumped the old Peak 1 - as others have said, that was operator error - NEVER have had any problems when I followed the directions and don’t try to short-cut the process. The Peak 1 is maybe 25 years old, and the 442 is about 10 years old. I have never tried the 442 with anything other than Coleman fuel. You do need to remember to put the occasional drop of oil on the pump, otherwise, no maintenance issues ( I do empty the stove and allow to air dry between trips).

They all worked well
I have used the same Svea 123 for almost 35 years. Still works great and I have never changed a part on it. I have never had a problem with a 442 in nearly 10 years. I had no problem with MSR stoves having owned them from beginning, but never liked them.

Seems if you take care of them, they take care of you. Funny how that works.

Here You Go, Phreon
Here’s the “Long” version of why my Coleman Dual fuel stove was a piece of crap.

My Coleman Dual Fuel stove wouldn’t hold it’s pressure. I would work on it, it would work fine for awhile, then NOT work, typically on a trip. This occurred not once or twice, but several times. I didn’t take notes on how many times or exactly what I did with it except I remember taking some parts off and reading the little owners manual, heck, it’s been over 5 years ago.

I have had a 2 burner coleman stove, 2 coleman lanterns and inumerable other Coleman products and they were all good products. My comment was not a wholesale attack on Coleman, but the fact remains, the Dual Fuel stove never saw anything but Coleman brand white gas, and never worked correct straight from the box. Thankfully, the times it failed, I was able to borrow a friends, or cook over a fire.

In contrast, I used my Svea for over 20 years with NO maintenance, and it NEVER failed me on a trip. Fewer parts, not as fancy, but very reliable. I have no doubt that wherever the little Svea is now, it’s STILL working.

Hopefully that clears things up for those who thought my comments were a wholesale “Trashing” of Coleman. Just expressing my opinion on a few stoves I have owned.

WW

I have two Sveas. Be nice and I might
sell one of them.

Me too
I have an old Peak 1 stove which I wouldn’t dream of replacing. Like others have said, there are lighter stoves out there, and that would matter if you are a backpacker, but the thing works flawlessly every time, and unlike so many of those stoves with a cult following, it really DOES have the ability to keep a low simmer. In addition, the full-power setting is really too strong for anything but a huge pot, so the full range of heat settings is more than enough for me. I did get a little flame coming out the regulator valve one time last summer, but I tightened the vlave packing and it’s been fine since then.

My Stove Has Free Fuel
I’ve been using a Sierra stove for over 20 years. Well, one stove for 15 and its replacement for 5+.

If you camp where there are no restrictions on open fires, I highly recommend it. It burns just about anything, puts out a bunch of BTU’s, is compact and very simple to operate.

http://www.zzstove.com/

I’ve
had mine since they first came out…it was a hard choice at the time …The Nova or the new snow peak. I chose the Nova, but could easially have gone with the snow peak. Both are good

I also have feather 400, feather 442, apex 2, 508, 502B, Triangia, nesbit, MSR international.

I always take my Nova…nice stove.

Best Wishes

Roy

I used to sell those years ago
Didn’t know they were still in business. They do throw the heat, I prefer the non-battery powered one though.

Aaack!
Sorry if I sounded “on edge”. MAN I need a vacation. Or at least some sunshine.

No doubt the SVEA 123 is a tough little stove (tougher than your average Coleman for sure). I always wanted one, but prices these days are crazy.

Check out a Coleman 530 sometime. Obvious design cues were stolen from the svea. 60 years old and still roars like mad.

From where might I procure a “chill pill”?

Phreon

MSR’s new stove
MSR as a new stove coming out to go against the jetboil. its supposedly going to blow it out of the water in terms of performance. don’t know when it comes out though