OT - Camping stoves

I would recommend the 442.
I also have lots of stoves. The 442 has served me well. Don’t use unleaded gas unless you have to. Coleman fuel or other white gas works best. My favorite stove is now a Jetboil. I cook mostly wet foods such as soups, noodles, rice and stews anyway. Not good for frying fish or grilling a steak but I use the campfire for that. Also, it brews a cup of coffee quick. In short, If I could only have one stove, it would be my Jetboil. But I still want my 442.

Ol’ Faithful
The ice storm that rolled through my area took the power out for most of the evening (just came back on). I broke out the Feather 400, still half full of last year’s fuel, pumped it up and lit it with no problem. A small whoosh, about 5 seconds of a foot high flame and then another twenty or so to get it stable/blue/ready to slow down to simmer. Cooked a can of Castlebury Beef Stew (yum) on it in no time flat. That little burner without a doubt “outmuscles” my electric stove hands down.

Were it not for the 400s simmer ability, I would have scorched the stew. I almost broke out the vintage Coleman 530, but like a SVEA 123, it’s either off or a blowtorch.

Phreon

Coleman 442 Simmering
I had a Peak 1 stove for years before it developed a leak and the 442 for several years. They are very reliable stoves and get a pot to boiling in record time. I had better luck simmering with the Peak 1 than with the 442, but I’ll try the recommendations on fixing that problem. I have also noticed that the 442 starts more quickly and at colder temperatures than the Peak 1.

MSR Simmerlite rules!
yes it’s a bit more complex to clean than the Whisperlite which is dead simple, but it is quieter, and simmers a bit better. the lightest white gas stove on the market, and an elegant design. use fresh clean fuel and carry your jet prick, and should never have a worry.

i’ve heard others complain about MSR, but that’s also a function of their popularity. there are more MSR’s out there than most, because they are generally better, lighter stoves.

lots of small parts? not much anymore. the latest pump units are quite simple and sturdier than before. if you expect to be especially hard on your stove, or put it to institutional use here’s my advice: don’t abuse the stove, and strictly instruct others in proper stove use and care! or you can cook over fires…

Dragonfly Stove and Simmerlite
I have used my Dragonfly for 4-5 years now and absolutely love the stove. It’s easy to light. Works well in summer and winter. Has stable base and the best flame control I have seen on any stove. I have had no problems with the stove except the need for routine maintenance. I had an o-ring fail on the pump once and developed a clogged fuel line filter on another occasion (which meant that it was working to protect the stove like it was supposed to). Both were easy fixes with the Dragonfly maintenance kit, which I recommend taking along. It is light and provides the tools for most any stove emergency. It has saved me a couple of times. If you are really good at keeping up with routine maintenance this might not be an issue.

I also just purchased an MSR Simmerlite. You might consider this as well. It is much smaller and not quite as bulky as the Dragonfly and still has a somewhat controllable flame. I have only done some testing out on my deck in 10 degree weather, but it seems to simmer pretty well. For flame adjustability, I would say it has more of a low-high or low-med-high setting. You have to be careful not to over-pressurize this one, though. If you do it loses it’s flame adjustability and performs poorly. Once I figured it out I really liked the stove (it didn’t take too long). This stove gets many negative reviews online for this reason, but it sounds like you are pretty good with stoves.

Good luck,

Eric

On the other hand
I have been using an MSR Whisperlite for over 20 years and the only non-field maintenance (read cleaning the jet) was my fault. I let the fuel tank with generator attached fall off the top of my truck and it snapped the top off the pump.

I did have some problems at the BW last year, but figured out it was due to old fuel (like a year old) that was varnishing the port. It was a pain but not the stoves fault. I don’t mountain guide but that stove has seen more use than many on this board will put it through.

Randy

I agree
Although have never used one myself, I did see some experienced paddlers last weekend in Everglades National Park and this was how they cooked. Very affordable, no working parts to fail and small in size.

Did I say no working parts to fail

google Zen Alcohol Stoves for pro and cons and how to make them.

Brian

New MSR stove
Its called the Reactor and according to their web site it’ll be out in April 2007. Backpacker magazine did a head to head test with the Reactor, Jet Boil, and a Primus (I think). The MSR did very well. It is $150 though.

Trangia Stoves
Just purchased a Trangia as a backup. Haven’t actually cooked with it yet. Is there anyone who can tell me how well these stoves will fry something like fish or sausage? Everyone tells me alcohol stoves do not do as well as white gas or propane. Please advise.

best stove?
I loved my MSR Dragonfly because it can simmer AND boil and everything in between. But, it’s NOISY!

I then bought a Brunton Optimus (one stove is never enough) - much quieter and also able to simmer all the way to boil.

BUT for Christmas, I just got a little alcohol stove made from a beer can. I have it set up w/ everything I could need inside a tiny dry bag - all can fit in my day hatch. That thing is quiet! No noise at all, boils quickly. A bit of a fiddle to simmer instead of boil but for a quick, quiet simple cup of tea, can’t be beat. Plus the fuel burns clean.

While the little alcohol stove won’t replace the Brunton for “real” cooking, it’s really great for a heat and eat type of meal or boil in bag or a quick cuppa tea. I think it would do the job for most people and you can’t beat the simplicity of it!

Suz