OT Loon 138

Is this boat stable enought to stand and flycast and is the cockpit large enough to take your dog paddling? Would the WS Pamlico be more stable?

Loon 138
I suppose you could stand in it, I don’t think I could and cast a flyrod. As far as the dog, the cockpit is big, and it depends on how big you are. I’m 6’2" and would be cramped with a dog in the boat with me. My son who is 5’6" has taken his little terrier ith him and found it a little cramped for fishing. He prefers using my Old Town Pack when he brings the dog.

The WS Ride is used by alot of flyfishermen here to stand and cast. As a sit on top you would be able to take the dog a bit easier too.

dog in boat
Actually i don’t think i would fish with the dog in the boat but just to take him along on a paddle. I’m looking to buy just one craft. Budgeted and also lots of other toys. I’m trying to figure out what would be best for me, kayak or solo canoe. I live in michigan and would like a craft to get me down my favorite steelhead rivers in the spring but also paddle around and fish my home lakes, but also thinking it would be fun to do some paddling/fishing the shorelines of the great lakes. Maybe i’m asking too much of a single craft.

No dog unless totally obedience trained
The OT Loon 138 is a great boat. We love ours. You have to consider though that the cockpit is 51 inches long if I remember correclty. Do you really want your dogs nose (and his or her curiousity) right there next to your hooks, lures, whatever?

If your dog is older, smaller, and is totally obedience trained I’d say give it a try if you must but I would not suggest it.

Standing up? No. The Loon 138 is incredibly stable because of it’s mid-hull width and shape but when I stand up in it (to experiment) I feel how unstable it rapidly becomes.

OT Loon
I spin and fly-cast from an OT Castine. Don’t see the need to stand and cast. The Loon should be a nice boat for your needs. OT makes a good plastic boat (kind of like the 4 wheel drive of back water fishing). No “one” boat is going to do it all. Fish and have fun… Keep it simple.

Tough Choice
I began paddling seriously with kayaks, but have switched to canoes. I paddle solo mostly using an Old Town Pack solo or paddling my Penobscot 16 as a solo by paddling it “backwards”. Given the choice I would take a canoe almost everytime these days. More roomy and comfortable, easier access to gear, easier to get in and out (handy if you are wading pools). When I use my Loon I can only take one rod. With the 12’ Pack I take my 3 wt. and 5 wt. With the 16’ Penobscot I add in the 8 wt. as well. With either canoe I have room for a nice size cooler full of ice cold beverages, a definite plus. With the canoe a dog is a definite possiblity and might be highly desired as “ballast” particularly if you are paddling a tandem canoe as a solo.

As stated in my previous post my son almost always brings the dog along when we take the canoes. She loves to ride in the Pack with him and if she is in the Penobscot she will ride on the front seat.

As far as stability goes you can stand in either of the canoes we own, but we don’t find it necessary as the higher seating position in the canoe makes sightcasting flies to hungry fish pretty easy.

The downside to canoes is that they are more affected by wind than a kayak is. I have found that on windy days using a double bladed canoe paddle makes it much easier to maintain control.

Standing in the Loon
IMHO, If you are new at standing in kayaks while casting, first take the boat out in VERY shallow water without any tackle on board to practice. Having any previous experience with balance type sports is a definite plus.

Standing while fighting a fish takes practice too!

Your best bet is to try standing in the Loon before you purchase it. If you really like the kayak but find that it is unstable, the addition of pontoons may be your answer giving you the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.

Chrystal Murray

www.ospreybay.com/chrystalweb

I have a 138T which gives a bit more room. When solo i take out the back seat, that would work for the dog! Now about the standing issue.

I think the hard part of that process would be the hookset and the fight. You may be able to cast and stay upright but the unpredicable forces needed to fight and land the fish will be too overwelming in the upright position.

But it may make for good home movies!

good fishing…jeff

I wouldn’t!!!
I own a Loon and under no circumstances would I try to stand and fish from it. Being fairly new to flyfishing I find my 16’ Penobscot better suited to flyfishing whether seated or standing. Get pics or video if you try it

standing would be tough
I’ve got a 138 and I don’t think I’d try to stand and fish out of it. It’s a stable boat and you have to really work to get wet in it, but to stand in it would take gymnast-like balance in my opinion.

thanks for all the input
Thanks for all the input, I did buy the Loon 138 and i think i’m going to like it. I have the camera ready too, lol. I don’t really need to stand, but was wondering if it was possible. By the way, the dog fits fine between my legs and enjoys the ride, especially all the waterfowl.

Congrats!!!
it’s a great boat. The only problem is it’s so much fun to paddle and I can’t figure out a way to make a living paddling it.

'nother loon fan
Haven’t looked at this board in a few days. My 138 works great with my 50# Brittany. If you have a dog that big or > you will want to keep his weight as centered as possible if you want to track straight. My little buddy is too curious to combine fishing and dog. You know the drill, everything in the mouth. We either paddle together or I fish alone. Look into a Ruffwear PFD for your dog. They can get just as exhausted and hypothermic as humans. As far as standing, which you have indicated that you were just curious about, try it on a nice warm day in shallow water. As kayakangler said, Congrats on the loon. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Taj

P.S. Swamp that boat and try dealing with it. You will want float bags…

Standing
in any yak is risky.If you still feel this is something you want to do get yourself some outriggers.Jon and Joey at KFS have these at their store/site.Great guys to deal with and they have the best fishing yak/gear selection around.Good luck!

Loon 138
I camp/fish in my 138. It’s roomy enough to stow the camping gear and still have space left over for comfort and laying out tackle. I fish with both short ice fishing rods ( amazing casting distance for small rods and so easy to handle) and regular ultra/micro light rods. I wouldn’t dream of standing in it to fish unless you’d like to make swimming part of your adventure.

Standing in a 13.8
I have stood in mine getting in and out of a tall dock, not a good feeling. The only way you could safety stand with any wind, or waves in a 13.8 is with a set of Spring Creek outriggers. This would be a good time to learn to cast like a float tuber, try a 10 foot rod and a small dog, who can swim for help. A canoe such as a pack, or camper OT may be your answer.