OT Pack for a big guy?

I’m looking for a solo canoe and was wondering if the Pack would be ok for a 330lb fella? I’m new to paddling and am looking for a canoe for creeks and small lakes. Was at Dicks and saw the Kay-noe(by OT) and liked the looks but it weighs 43lb and I liked the sound of the Pack at 33lbs. Plus, wouldn’t Royalex hold up better over the years? OT told me that the Kay-noe was single-layer polyethelene. Also, typically, do the canoes really come in at the manufacturers listed weights? Seems like the only thing not to like is the MSRP. I wouldn’t mind lowering/removing the seat to something else if it made it work better at my weight. What do you think?

I have owned a Pack
While my weight is less (200 lbs), I think a Pack could hold your weight (it is within OTs recommendations) but probably not a lot extra. Here is my take on the pros and cons of the Pack:

Pros:

Extremely light (mine did weigh in at 33 pounds)

Quite maneuverable (partially due to it’s shortness)

Good initial stability

Royalex is durable

Cons:

Too small to haul much (I used mine for fishing and found it just too short - persobnal preference)

Fairly slow

Not as easy to paddle straight from the middle seat (partially due to it’s width)

I sold my pack and purchased a longer solo for my fishing platform. Watch Ebay and the want-ads as used Packs come up periodically.

Pack

– Last Updated: Aug-24-08 8:32 PM EST –

I'd probably use a 2-blade and buy the Angler edition. I think the seat is a little lower also, and I think I'd prefer that seat compared to the wood/webbed seat. It seems crazy but I'm not fond of green, and would likely go for the tan color.

Pack
The 2-blade would help the paddling process over a single paddle wouldn’t it?

Pack

– Last Updated: Aug-24-08 8:28 PM EST –

Also, I'm kinda stuck on that 33lbs. It would be great for a couple of small lakes that are fairly steep hauling it up and down to. But, I don't want to buy a canoe that doesn't work for me no matter what the price is.

Double blade
I have used a double blade and it does add some control and speed. My personal preference is a single blade paddle. Be sure to get a long double blade due to the width of the canoe and be prepared for a wetter ride due to water dripping from the paddle shaft.

I fish lots of very tight areas full of flooded timber and one problem I had was my rods were always sticking beyond the bow of the canoe and were more suscepitable to getting damaged. That is one reason I prefer a longer solo.