OT-Suggestions for a large group meal

10 cans of Beanie Weenies and 3
bottles of Beano.

Meal for 9
Can you have a ground fire?? Can you keep meat fresh. If so take a large pot, saute onions, celery, red pepper and or mushrooms. Set aside. Cube, flour, and braise meat. Add more coals under pot. Add sufficient red wine from box you have been carrying to cover meat and veg that you have added back to pot. Let simmer, while you drink rest of wine, and potatoes roast with corn in the ashes. Enjoy.

Yum, watch out, here we come
Wow, a real cooked-from-scratch stew, while camping. Sign me up :wink:

Sounds like you need a big, heavy pot to braise the meat in, though.

If it’s for the first night of a trip, you could cook the meat and veggies at home, vacuum-seal it, and then freeze it. Carry it in an ice-filled cooler for the drive, wrapped in newspapers inside a plastic bag. Then transfer the still-icy bundle to the bottom of the boat (keep in the newspapers and plastic bag) for the first day’s paddle. I did this with homemade meat-spaghetti sauce. Very easy to cook pasta at camp and merely heat up the sauce.

I’ve heard of rafting groups doing Dutch-oven meals. Not a realistic option for kayakers.

Addendum for modern times
GS did car-camping, and the ground beef was fresh.

However, for unrefrigerated traveling, you can buy foil-sealed cooked ground beef. It does have a slightly canned taste, not unexpected, but it’s covered up when combined with herbs and other seasonings.