OT: Why do Cornell Lab of Ornithology calendars show 1st and 3rd quarter moon phases as crescents?

Both the 2017 and 2018 calendars show those phases as crescent symbols, as did the 2016 World Wildlife Fund. At least The Nature Conservancy has it right for 2018.

This is hardly life-threatening but still irritating. You’d assume a nature-related organization would get it right.

Millennials…

You have way too many calendars. :wink:

I can appreciate your observation, and it might bug me too. But what bothers me the most is the volume of printed matter that this type if organization mails out to people. I’ve tried supporting WWF, Bruce Trail Conservancy, and the Green Party of Ontario. It took me years to stop getting reams of paper appearing in my mailbox.

Sparky, you know these orgs send calendars before you even join? We have even gotten TWO a year from some of them. Of the three I mentioned, we only belong to one, we used to belong to another, and the third one we never have joined.

Yes, it is a huge waste of paper.

I agree re moon symbols, but calendars are made by third-party suppliers who use clip art. I’m sure to an overworked, underpaid graphic designer, a crescent moon looks more ‘mooney’ than a half-circle…

Is It Lunarcy Or the Real Macaw?

Ramadan a ding-dong!
Is it really clip art?
Or hath crescent city clip job
played Gregorian twelve part,
of once the Romanesque partitioned
sun-cycled terra-tour d’absurd,
marched an ivy league to quarters
hosting days flipped to the bird?

They’re printed in China and therefore the descrepency. They have a different moon then this side of the planet.

@DrowningDave said:
They’re printed in China and therefore the descrepency. They have a different moon then this side of the planet.

Thanks, that made me laugh out loud just now…