OT: Yahoo Mail keeps saying I am on iOS 8 but my iPad is on iOS 10.3.3

Yahoo also says I won’t be able to access emails unless I use their mobile app, because they claim my device uses iOS 8.

Has anybody else gotten the same message? I upgraded to iOS 10.3.3 a few weeks ago.

@pikabike

While I don’t use Yahoo, I used to be able to receive both iCloud and Google mail through my iPad’s mail program until I installed an iOS update which shut out all email accounts except iCloud. Had to install the Google Mail app. I’m on iOS 10.3.3.

Well, this morning at least Yahoo mail came in normally. Even though I supposedly didn’t need to since iOS 10.3.3 is in place, I manually added my Yahoo account. The list last night included iCloud, Google, Yahoo, AND a second Yahoo account using my name. I will go look now to see if the first Yahoo account fell off.

They are all on there but I was required to sign in again for Google mail.

The repeated notices smell like a ruse to force me to sign in again, which brought up a mandatory “agreement” related to marketing. There is allegedly a way to turn off the default ON setting for that marketing but I have not found it yet.

Oh, boy, more spam.

Are you sure it’s not some sort of Trojan or malware?

@Rookie said:
Are you sure it’s not some sort of Trojan or malware?

Unlikely - but not impossible - on an iPad.

@pilabike’s “ruse” explanation sounds the most probable to me but I also wonder if yesterday’s roll out of iOS 11 had anything to do with it? Probably not.

By the way, yesterday I loaded 11 to 2 iPhones and an iPad. It’s early days but I like it.

I bet it has everything to do with the new iOS 11. My iPad is too old to upgrade to 11. I don’t like buying new just for the sake of having new. The computer and software companies hate people like me because we are not addicted to shopping.

@kfbrady
Thanks for the info on iOS 11. Need to go to Apple’s site and read about it. Waiting for the update reminder to pop up.

@pikabike I hear ya. My first iPad was the iPad 2. Ordered it the day Steve Jobs introduced it in 2011. Waited until last year to replace it for sentimental reasons and because it worked. And still does. Moved to a Mini 4 because of lighter weight, smaller size and a couple of apps that allow it to be used as a phone (including free international calls). Plus, it fits into my underdeck bag. Sometimes Google maps is handy on the water.

@pikabike said:
I bet it has everything to do with the new iOS 11. My iPad is too old to upgrade to 11. I don’t like buying new just for the sake of having new. The computer and software companies hate people like me because we are not addicted to shopping.

I’m not 100% sure but I think if your iPad can run iOS 10 then it can run 11. My old iPad 2 can’t run 10 but 11 will run on the mini 2, 3 and 4.

There are a ton of new features, especially for the iPads.

See…

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11/

There’s a simple answer; Yahoo is crap. Has been for a long time.

It is an iPad Air 2, and iOS 10.3.3 is the end of the line for its upgrades. I don’t care about that, though. I was fine with iOS 8 until the Upgrade Now! messages started hammering me.

For other activities besides looking up Internet stuff, I still prefer my ancient G4 Powerbook. The laptop keyboard feels downright luxurious compared with a tablet keypad.

@pikabike, at least according to Apple (scroll down to the end of the link I provided) iOS 11 will run on an Air 2.

And I agree with you. My wife and I both have iPads but we use a laptop or desktop if we want to type anything more than a sentence or two.

@DrowningDave said:
There’s a simple answer; Yahoo is crap. Has been for a long time.

It’s possible, albeit frightening, that Yahoo can’t count beyond 8.