Out of the flat water and into the fire

-- Last Updated: Jan-09-07 8:45 PM EST --

Hey everyone, I just discovered this site this week and I'm thrilled to have found such a great resource for my hobby.

I recently moved back into my parents' home to concentrate on my studies. They currently live on a tidal river in Florida and now own an open top kayak. Since the end of fall semester, I've been out on the river nearly every day and I love it.

So now I'm getting an urge to try some whitewater. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any good whitewater rivers in GA, TN or the Carolinas where I could get my feet wet? I haven't had any experience with rapids, not even group rafting tours, so I think class II would be my limit.

Also, how do most people who are used to flat water paddling become adjusted to rapids? Can one simply try class Is and progress from there on one's own? Or is it more common/advisable to first receive some professional instruction?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Professional instruction is good
There are lots of rivers in the areas you mention and lots of instructional programs. Yes, you can learn by going out with your buddies or just watching videos but it is not best. You will learn more faster and be safer by taking lessons.

Oh, Lord,…
…there are many, many.

This is a good board, but it’s focus is

primarily touring/flatwater.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

While I’m primarily a white water paddler, I’m

not a snob.

I’d paddle a bathtub if I could fit.

The best place to get your question answered is probably at…

http://boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk

There are a gazillion rivers from all over the

SE. Tn, Ga, Nc, Sc, Al…

To answer your question, yes.

yes to the instruction.

Thanks
The best place to get your question answered is probably at…

http://boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk

There are a gazillion rivers from all over the

SE. Tn, Ga, Nc, Sc, Al…

To answer your question, yes.

Great. Thanks for the link, I’ve already skimmed through the site and it seems to be what I was looking for. Now all I need to do is get out of Florida!

If you’re lucky
I’m no expert, but IMHO, look around for some classes to take. Try to hook up with a local ww club or paddlers club and learn the ropes from them. Read up as much as you can on the subject; there are also instructional videos you can watch. There are lots of ww enthusiasts on this board who probably have better advice and could tell you how they started out, too.

If you’re lucky, a more experienced paddler will walk you through the basic stuff. Good luck, and be safe.

Flat to WHitewater
Contact Nantahala Outdoor Center - best whitewater school in the East, West of Bryson City NC in far western part of state.

Flat to WHitewater
Contact Nantahala Outdoor Center - best whitewater school in the East, West of Bryson City NC in far western part of state.

you’re not
considering doing WW with a sit (?) on top kayak, are you?

Although the basic strokes with flatwater and ww paddling are the same, that’s where the similarity ends.

Watch some videos and if you still think you’d like it after that, take a few lessons.

You can learn from buddies and such but with professional instruction (NOC is one of the best schools)you’ll learn much faster and have more fun earlier (as stated somewhere else here already).

Happy paddling

sujeto

Awesome. I may be in Asheville this summer, if so I’ll look them up.

considering doing WW with a sit (?) on top kayak, are you?

Haha, no, I’d rent/buy an appropriate vessel for the endeavor.

WW
If you take a class, the school will provide the equipment.

In the meantime, you can start playing with currents and eddies as you feel comfortable. Understanding how water moves is the first step in safe river padling.

Coming from long boats…
We are going to be messing around with that this spring, also low class stuff. We got used WW boats to start and got some time with help from a fellow paddler who is good at WW, in pretty easy moving stuff in November and December.

A lot transfers, but short boats in moving water are still different than long boats in the most similar stuff like tidal races and surf. Get into lessons and find a group to work with - it’s safer and will accelerate your learning and fun.

Also - I don’t what your roll is like at the moment - I am assuming that you have one if you are thinking about moving water. But if you haven’t found out already, rolling in moving water/current is a whole different animal than in ocean swells or moderate waves. And, because current can make it tough to come up on a given side, you need both of 'em. (I am still trying to stay calm enough to execute the plan with water kicking me around down there. I’ve blown it on my couple of capsizes so far in that and am hoping that I’ll get it on the next one due to sheer embrassment.)

a whitewater school so good
you have to post it twice

Depends on the SOT…
…some are made for WW.