Outdoor storage for a Thermoformed kayak

Here’s my solution. It’s from 4x4x8’s. I used cedar but pressure-treated would work fine too. Sunk 2’ deep, about 36" up to first cross beam, then about 28" up to top beam. Adjust to your liking. I used paver base in ground instead of concrete, plenty sturdy but not so permanent.
Most frequently used kayaks hung in middle section because easiest position to load/lift. To unload the kayak just slip strap off end of beam. Middle position is also perfect for working on boat just rested on beam if needed.
The beams are attached with a simple lap joint cut w/circular saw & chisel (or router), secured w/ stainless through-bolt & nut. They’re each 4x4x8’ cut in half (2’ each side). I added a couple 2x4’s across the upright posts (parallel to boats) to prevent twisting and maintain spacing. Post spacing is about 5’, or nearly equal to bulkhead spacing. That ensures suspension straps are on strongest part of boat. Used ordinary cam straps looped over beams and under boat.
I like that the weight is well distributed to prevent any denting of the hull or deck. Boats can be hung in any orientation. I can easily spin them or adjust pitch for sponging out or other tasks.
The canoes inverted above is just a bonus. Canoes are strapped down to prevent blowing off in high winds. They don’t even move until winds reach like >40 kts. Kayaks don’t budge at all in any storms.
I leave hatches & cockpit open. Found a nest once, but no damage. These are not very high value boats. Only problem I have is sun protection, I try to treat w/ 303. The covered canoe get a lot of condensation/puddling/ice inside the cover. That’s going when I find another solution.
You could certainly make half this, one side. That was actually my first version, right against the fence. You can see the J hooks I used on the shed but have since abandoned…unless (until) I acquire more boats.
My wife is threatening to leave me if I get any more boats. I sure will miss her.

G0010160|666x500

1 Like

Nice work, Troy. How do you like your Whisky? My wife recently got one but I’ve only done a couple of hours in it.

Thank you!

If 303 degraded ABS there would be a lot of cars and boats with damage. Used on an eddyline for ten years zero problems.

I have used tarps on my kayaks 10+ years never mold problems or condensation if the bottom is open just cove the sides. I have sprinkler hitting them daily.

1 Like

I have 5 boats. No threats yet

I could never rest easy with the idea of storing any of my kayaks outdoors, so I guess I got lucky and built a large storage shed and then a shop before I really got into kayaking. At one time I did store a canoe hung under an eave between the house and storage shed. I also kept one of my sailboats at a moorage. I never gave that a second thought, but the kayaks–that’s a horse of a different color.

I guess the least I would settle for would be to build some kind of well ventilated but fully enclosed and securable storage container, or shed.

I have kicked around a few ideas for kayak storage but living in the dc area and having a small house with no garage.
I have toyed building a new shed big enough for a workshop (I dream of building a wooden kayak) it is just not in the cards this year. It is enough to be able to afford two great kayaks with all the necessaire gear to go with them. I am going to have to settle for mounting the Suspenz Deluxe brackets on the side of my house that is shady and has a bit of an overhang to the roof.

I think the kayaks will be fine so long as there’s an overhang.

My bigger concern would be securing them so they can’t be “borrowed.”

That is a very good point. I was planning to sink 4 x 4s into concrete to attach my brackets to. I was thinking of placing a large eye bolt into the concrete to give me a place to lock to. What do you think, I am very open to suggestions.

Suspenz also manufactures a cable locking system. You would just need to screw in a large eyebolt into the 4x4 and use a padlock for both the cable and eyebolt. You can’t unscrew the eyebolt with the cable attached to it.

This would also be usable when transporting your kayak on your vehicle.

Lasso Makes a similar product with an integral lock, but you’d still need a padlock to fasten the cable to the eyebolt.

Using a tarp to drape the kayak to keep the kayak from being visible from the street would help prevent theft as well. It’s not that easy to steal a kayak and the average thief wouldn’t know what it’s worth, how to transport it, or how to sell it. Not like you can stick it under your coat and sell it on a street corner.

My thermoform kayaks are Eddylines, which have U-bolts near the bow and stern. The one I keep on my dock is chained to the dock using a padlock. I don’t secure the one hanging on the garage wall, although I probably should.

I live in the country and when kayaks were stolen here a few years ago, they were all RM short rec box store boats which had been kept near the shore. That heist was done at night by thieves using a boat, probably with an electric motor. My kayak was chained and locked, so it was there in the morning.

Bobby, I agree with rstevens. A boat at your home is not a target of opportunity.
I would screw that eye bolt into the 4x4. They are not easily removed from treated lumber.

For some reason, blue jays like to nest in any red kayak I have. They’ve never nested in any other kayak I have had.

1 Like

NRA stickers all around the house.

Two eye bolts side by side (just far enough apart to be able to screw them in) with a long shackle padlock through both is a secure way to go.

If you have a covered patio, a nice rack that’ll set you back about $70 from Amazon works, It holds 2 kayaks. Then a cover or tarp to keep it clean. Even a couple of stools will work with a easy up tent or motorcycle tent.

1 Like

An NRA sticker just gets your guns stolen.

2 Likes

Agree string…do not advertise any weapons. “Bang” should be when the criminal knows you are armed.

2 Likes

I have covered the tops and sides of my kayaks for ten years with a tarp zero problems. You don’t wrap it like a finger bandage. Used 303 on my wife’s Eddyline Journey for tens years looks like new.