outer banks surf

Looking to go on a paddle vacation to somewhere warmish in February (away from New England). I have never been to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and am thinking about that. I will be mostly surfing (kayak and SUP). Looking to stay at a campground close to good ocean surf spots. My main considerations are likelihood of quality surf and close camping. I don’t have any idea what the typical surf conditions are there in February. Good idea? What say you all?

cold as can be
For February I would aim for southern Florida. Anything north of that would be wet suit and/or dry suit. The gulf stream might be warmish but coastal areas will be cold.

cold as can be
For February I would aim for southern Florida. Anything north of that would be wet suit and/or dry suit. The gulf stream might be warmish but coastal areas will be cold.

Outer Banks
I went to Cape Lookout National Seashore in October, when the water and air was in the seventies. The paddling and camping was great.

In February the average air and water will be closer to 45F, and the windchill could be notably lower.

The cooler temps are very doable, but might not be for everyone.

Winds
Wind can always be an issue on the Outer Banks, but in February you can be looking at some serious wind-chill.

February Surf
Last year we were traveling back from Florida and stopped at Hunting Island in SC for a couple of nights. There is a state park there and it was quite nice for surf/sup.

I was doing SUP and had on a 3 mm wetsuit. One in a surf kayak wore a drytop and shorts, the other on a waveski wore a 3mm wetsuit too. It was right at the edge of being warm enough but we were out for hours.

Sometimes in February it can be drysuit weather the whole time. Others it can be shorts. Bring both to be prepared. Or if it isn’t shorts weather, just keep heading south!

Go South

– Last Updated: Jan-09-12 9:29 AM EST –

Outer Banks are beautiful and worth your stopping to wander. But they won't be warm in winter! In fact, some parts on the Piedmont (mid-way West in NC) still get ice storms by that time of year. NC has winter, however short...

Florida is cooler than its unbearably hot months in the winter and quite tolerable. Though air temps can dip into the 50s at times, most of the time it will be comfortable. The Gulf side tended to have warmer water in winter, as I recall.

Check on temps in the Florida Keys - as far South as you can do - and surf conditions there. I have a friend who used to kayak fish there all year and there are some wonderful underwater parks in the keys as well.

Has to be warmer than New England
In February at least. Mid Atlantic weather is usually about ten degrees warmer then what we have up in New England, so combined with the especially warm winter, I’d bet its a good destination for surf. Not sure I’d camp out though, would look for a deal on an off season rental, heat and hot showers go a long way for me.

I surfed a plastic sit on top for an afternoon near Kill Devil Hill, great place to surf, nice sized waves but gentle and sandy landings. Could drive down on the beach and paddle right out of your car. Headed down there in June to visit people.and surf…

Thanks
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I am not really worried about the temps, if I’m here I’ll be in 38 degree New England water anyway, so that isn’t an issue. My primary consideration is potential for quality surf. I am really just looking for a quick getaway to somewhere different for a few days. I don’t have enough time to drive much further south. Maybe Savannah at the most but that’ll be pushing it.