Outfits that rent kayaks and canoes on frigid lakes

@Overstreet said:
Somewhere on the Paddling .com home page it says that side skulling is the most important beginner skill
yes, Paddling.com is a great resource

@Overstreet said:
I can just see a fishing boat coming up seeing you doing that. …… and not knowing what was going on.

I was stopped by the coast guard coming in the St Marys Inlet.
They saw me in the ‘half-way’ position, thought I needed help.
Of course, while they ‘had me’, they fully checked - pfd, whistle, lights (I’d mentioned I started pre-dawn).
They did ‘get me’ on no flares, though they couldn’t ‘prove’ I was out beyond 2nm.
I did thank them for their concern and went on into Fern.

@raisins They would probably get me on flares too, if they checked carefully. I tend to forget to replace the old ones. But I would happily be stopped more often than I am because it means they are out there checking.

Regs say something like …a bay more than 2nm wide. … Not 2 nm out. I’d say Cumberland ocean side qualifies.

My flares are likely outdated too.

Did they check drivers license and fill out a lot of forms?

nm ? Nanometers?

My daughter actually got to be rescued!

She was attending College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor and spent several months on Mt. Desert Rock, a small lighthouse / research station 21 miles off the coast of Maine. So there was a hurricane coming up the coast. It wasn’t supposed to hit the rock but the Coast Guard really prefers getting the people out when there isn’t a hurricane happening!

And since they had some practice rescues on the schedule that they needed to do they wasn’t a charge. I can’t imagine what the cost of that rescue would be. (And no, I’m have no idea if the Coast Guard does charge, I’m just repeating something she heard off hand so it could just be a story.)

And the doting Dad? My first question was “Did you get ride in the basket.” Sadly, they landed…

@string said:
nm ? Nanometers?

Probably NM. Naughty Miles.

…or something…

@string said:
nm ? Nanometers?

Nautical miles.

Why are there regular miles and nautical miles?

I looked up the answer. I think I’ll stick with a regular mile. For the distances I paddle, the curvature of the earth has little impact.

Nautical miles are practical in at least two instances, which may or may not be relevant to you:

1. If you use knots for velocity measurement, NM is the corresponding distance measurement. 1 knot = 1 NM/hour.

2. If you use sea charts, 1 NM is equal to 1 arc minute (1/60 of a degree) on the latitude scale at the sides of the chart. Those arc minutes are clearly marked, so you can always measure your route with a piece of string and then move the string to the latitude scale for an easy distance measurement.