Outfitting a Tadem as a fishing boat

My boys (13 & 14)want to outfit their Wilderness tandem kayak into a fishing kayak, with rod holders and such. First question, if there are two of them paddling, where should the rod holders be mounted? They think if they put one near each of them, the line will get in the way of paddling, while trolling, so they are thinking about putting them both on the back, but then they argue about who will sit in the back to be closer to the poles.

Any other advice for two young kayak fishers outfitting their first boat?

If they are going to be trolling
the holders should be behind the paddler in back. If they are installed that way, the best way to handle who sits in the stern seat is by taking turns. The main thing is to install the rod holders so they do not interfere with paddling, especially when the rods are in the holders.

Can two fish from a kayak without harm
Seems like pretty close proximity for two people to be swinging long rods with pointy things on them.

If you’re OK with that, then I’d encourage them to experiment and try some things out on their own. Try not to put too many holes in the boat during the experimentation.

• Big D

Can two fish from a kayak without harm
Seems like pretty close proximity for two people to be swinging long rods with pointy things on them.

If you’re OK with that, then I’d encourage them to experiment and try some things out on their own. Try not to put too many holes in the boat during the experimentation.

• Big D

tandem fishing
Hi,

I have a tandem inflatable (AE convertible).

When fishing solo, I have a crate that rides behind me with rod holders so I can troll a couple rods while paddling, and it works fine.

When fishing with a friend in the kayak, it seems the best route is to just take one rod each and keep in in our lap or propped on a shoulder to paddle around with.

I takes a little coordination and communication to fish tandem in a single kayak, and I wouldn’t recommend more than one rod per person.

Thanks,

Jim

Did you reply once for each seat?
Since it’s a tandem, you know . . . .

;~)

YoS

Seems I must have.
Not sure what happened there.

• Big D