Outriggers for deep v hull kayak

-- Last Updated: Apr-30-15 4:16 PM EST --

Can anyone recommend based on experience stabilizers or outriggers for a deep v hull kayak.? Just looking for some stability for entering and exiting ..... Not stand up fishing. Thanks!

What is the kayak?
IMHO for most people practice is a better option.

Kayak outrigger
Hi Sid, its a Perception Carolina 14.5.

I don’t have a problem when I can bank against a dock or bank. However, I moved to a development with a lake and there is nothing to “bank” the kayak against and it is very unstable. I love the kayak once I’m in it. I previously always had something to bank it against so it wasn’t a problem although even with banking it it is unstable.

hmm.
I would not classify the Carolina as “unstable” at all. It is nearly 25" wide and has decent primary and good secondary-- it’s known to be stable and “forgiving” for beginners. The hull is not that deeply veed. I think you just need tips and practice. Is there an outfitter around you where you could get some instruction in entering the kayak without a shore brace? Or an experienced kayaker who could help you?

Bottom line is that you also need to be able to enter the kayak when you are out in deep water in case of a capsize. So it would behoove you to learn and practice entering it without having it braced against a fixed object.

x’s two !
Jack L

if you really need something
invest in an inflatable paddle float, which you would also be able to deploy for re-entry in deep water. Your paddle is already half of an outrigger. You just need a buoyant float collar (i.e, paddle float) to stick on the end.

Stability
Willowleaf, the kayak is extremely stable in the water once you are in it. It moves well through the water BUT it is hard to get in and out of. The deep v hull plus the design of the cock pit make it tough to get in and out of. It was just on the perception website an a few people comment that it is tough to get in and out of.

paddle float
True!

How deep
is the water along the shore?

If it’s relatively shallow, just straddle the kayak and plop your butt into the seat, then bring in your legs one at a time.

Creaky knees? Squats and flexibility exercises are quite helpful.

There are sponsons and outriggers made for kayaks, but you’re limiting yourself and you’ll have to drill holes in the boat to install them.

There’s a video and article here (see “Articles”) describing various entry techniques which you might find helpful.

Related comments and a question
I’ve seen this model, and the hull is pretty “vanilla” in design. “Deep V” and difficult entry/exit don’t come to mind with this boat. I too wonder if it’s an issue of practice, or perhaps the OP is just a really big person.

One thing that confuses me, and makes me wonder if I’m missing something about what it means to “bank” or “not bank” the boat, is that the OP has no trouble getting in and out alongside docks, yet this is exactly where most kayakers have the greatest difficulty of all. I wonder if the OP is putting the bow of the boat onto shore, so that if the water is deep, it’s largely supported by that pointy end instead of the water. If so, don’t do that.

I might differ with Willowleaf about it being necessary to be able to re-enter the boat in deep water. It depends on what that boat is actually used for. Most of today’s casual kayak paddlers never do anything in their boats that the previous generation of casual paddlers didn’t do in non-recoverable canoes. The ability to self-rescue goes along with certain paddling environments, but not all.

Self-rescue
As a relative newcomer to the sport, being able to self-rescue made a vast difference to me. It’s the one thing I practiced this winter in the pool with the result that I’m no longer overly cautious when experimenting with edging and paddling in general. Once the water temps warm, I’ll practice in wind and waves.

Casual paddlers on benign waters can capsize for any number of reasons. It’s a confidence booster to know that if you wind up in the water, you can get back in the cockpit.