Outriggers, Pontoons or Sponsons??

Hi,

I’ve a 13’ Grumman canoe, just purchased a matching outboard motor transom mount and been lent a 3hp evinrude by a friend. Reading suggests that I do something in the way one or two of outriggers, or pontoons or sponsons for safety purposes. I will probably be pushed by the tide from protected bays to the Long Island Sound, hopefully while attached to a good sized striped bass. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

make um
I made a set of outriggers or pontoons (whatever you want to call them) for a canoe that I used with a 3 hp motor. I made them because my wife was not real comfortable on the water. We really didn’t need them but it made my wife happy, and they are easy to make. You can find examples on the web if you search on kayak or canoe pontoons, floats or outriggers.

Springriver Corp
I’ve heard they make good outriggers by folks who use them.

Check the Paddling.net equipment reviews too. I don’t know if there’s anything in there on outriggers, but it makes sense to try and use all the resources of this site.

Whatever you do, get sturdy ones. You don’t want to run into a problem in a body of water that large.

• Big D