Outside canoe storage

I have a plastic MR Explorer that I have been keeping outside. It is on the sidewalk with the gunwales on 2x4’s. I know the sun will damage the hull before long. I might end up trading for a Royalex boat but I want to make sure I have adequate storage. Will the sun damage Royalex? I want to keep the boat out of the way and also keep it safe from thiefs in the night…

If you have any pictures of how you store your canoes outdoors that would be great. Give me some of your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,

Josh

Sun will damage Royalex also
If possible keep your boat out of the sun. Obviously storing indoors (garage/shed) is the best but if that is not possible you can build a lean too shelter out of lumber and a tarp for a roof. Just do not lay a tarp directly on the Royalex. There needs to be an air space between the hull and the “roof.”

My canoes are stored outside
on wood racks. I use 303 every 2-3 months. Direct sun will ruin any plastic without protection.

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=428

Do you keep…
…them locked up?

Yes , with Kryptonite cable and a big
Master padlock. Mine are in the backyard, but visible from the street.

I kept an OT Disco outside for years
with just a silver tarp over it.

It now is indoors, but other than the scratches on it, it never got hurt by the sun, because of the tarp.

cheers,

JackL

I store mine
on the roof rack of my tent trailer, in one of these bags from Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0022917016433a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=canoe+cover&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=canoe+cover&noImage=0

and it’s worked great so far.

tarp
I use a tarp on mine.

What is the reason for the airspace between the canoe and tarp? I have heard several people mention this but have not heard a reason.

Currently I do not have the “air gap” - I just lay the tarp over the canoe. I have not had probloms.

tarp
I use a tarp on mine.

What is the reason for the airspace between the canoe and tarp? I have heard several people mention this but have not heard a reason.

Currently I do not have the “air gap” - I just lay the tarp over the canoe. I have not had probloms.

Tarp directly on hull
can trap moisture and over time can cause discolaration of the hull.

Moisture under tarp & discoloration
I, too, have been warned not to store my Royalex OT Penobscot 17 under (i.e. in DIRECT contact with) a tarp, but no one seems to be able to explain what the real danger is. Does the moisture actually deteriorate the hull or merely discolor it? And is the resultant discoloration just an esthetic issue (which I personally am not concerned about)? I was under the impression that it’s UV rays that damage a Royalex canoe. Can moisture damage the Royalex exterior?