Outside Storage for Canoe

Hello,

This is my first post with paddling.net, though I have lurked here for several years. I’ve gotten quite a bit of knowledge here which has guided me in both equipment purchases and paddling techniques and I thank you all.

I have an Old Town Guide 147 that I find I need to store outside. My main concern is damage that can occur from the constant sunlight, which, living in Riverside County in Southern California, can get very intense. I can cover my canoe, but somewhere (here at paddling.net) I’ve read that one has to be concerned with moisture build up under a cover. Could someone please advise me on how to go about this?

Thank-you in advance.

Dave

Yer kin put some sticks o’ wood
between de hull an’ de tarp ta give it some airspace.

FE

blue tarp
cheap and great UV protecion. you can’t hurt the poly with water.

steve

a little 303 every
now and then to keep her shiny and get that environmental wacko thread going again.

Yeah, but what kind of wood?
Something with too much tannin, and you risk staining the boat.

Teak or mahogany would be good, but you’ve got that whole rain forest destruction thing.

Pine might leach out some of that sticky sap.

All depends

– Last Updated: Jul-27-08 4:55 PM EST –

on waar de boat be stored...

Iffin' it be against a wall then yer should use Walnut.

Iffin' it be stored in Joisey "down da shawww" then yer should use Beech.

Iffin' it be stored next ta de outhouse then yer should use "Yew!"

Iffin' it be stored in Luton, England yer should use "The Larch!"

Iffin' next to da cow barn yer should use Butternut.

Iffin' stored at a now deceased actress's house yer should use Natalie Wood.

Iffin' yer store it near a golf course yer should use Tiger Wood.

Had e'nuff?

FE

Thanks for your replies
Guess I’ll just cover it and not worry about it.

Thanks again,

Dave

Use Gray Things
FE will sell them to you cheap

Canoe Covers for Outdoors
I have a Navarro 16’ cedar and fiberglass canoe which I store outside. I live in the Fresno area of the Central Valley north of you. Our temperatures here stay near the 100 degree mark all summer. I made a cover for the canoe out of PVC Pipe, a 20’ by 12’ Heavy Duty Tarp, and bungies to tie it down in windy weather. It is important to not allow the cover to come in contact with the canoe which I have sitting on two sawhorses. The tarp is off the ground on both sides of the canoe by about two feet allowing lots of air movement, but no sunlight to come in contact with the hull. Twice a year I oil the wood gunwales and wicker seats, and after every big trip I wipe the fiberglass down with protectant to keep it clean and uneffected by the sun.

The tarps last about three years and have to be replaced unless you go for a canvas tarp which is expensive and heavy.

There are a couple of commercial covers made which fit tightly around the canoes, but are made of breathable waterproof materials like Gore Tex. I was told by one canoe manufacturer to avoid buying any cover which makes contact with the hull over a long period of time, regardless of the breathability of the fabric. That is why I built my own.

…not quite enuff…
…and if you store it in your bedroom you should use morning wood.

dont forget the airspace
and check for nesting thingys. Wasp nests can ruin your next outing. Birds can keep you out of your own canoe. Ever been assailed by an attack bird nesting on your canoe seat under the tarp?

Maybe in SOCal the earthquakes prevent that LOL

Hey (I was born there 7 miles NE of the epicenter!)

Murph gave you good advice.
keep it far enough off the ground for good air circulation, about 2-3 feet.

I need to check the plug on the B and B bottle. Someone keeps letting them out.