Overnight New Jersey paddling

I’m trying to plan an overnight canoe/camping trip with my two young nieces (happily at their request), 9 and 7, this summer probably the end of June. I’m not familar with NJ canoeing, but think it would probably be on the Delaware R. Can anyone recommend any stretches of the Delaware or other locations?

Camping on the mighty Delaware
For the Delaware, look here:

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/pphtml/maps.html

I recommend the section below Dingmans (map 2). The wilderness campsites are free and available on a first come first, serve basis. I try to do a trip here at least once a year. In fact I’m doing an overnighter on the Big D this coming weekend.

Your nieces might also enjoy an overnight trip in the Pine Barrens (Southern Jersey) on any one of the remote rivers. Check here for general info on camping:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html#camp

The wilderness sites on the rivers (Batsto, Mullica or Wading) is still only $1 per night. I find that trips in the Pines are better for kids in terms of safety and enjoyment.

Vince

Thanks!
I appreciate the response. I wasn’t aware of any overnight opportunities in the Barrens. I’m told the Delaware gets pretty crowded, would you agree and can the same be said of the Pine Barrens?

Thanks again!

crowds
The upper Delaware http://www.nps.gov/upde/ can get pretty crowded, but the section I mentioned in the Delaware Water Gap typically doesn’t see nearly as many people as upriver.

As for the Pines, the Mullica and the Wading can be very crowded on a Summer weekend due to its use by Canoe rental liveries. The Batsto gets some use, but is less crowded because the put-in is a lot less convenient than the others.

Vince

I second what pernicev says.
I’ve paddled the Delware and the Mullica many times on overnighters. The Delaware can get a bit crowded, and I’ve been on it when many of the campsites were taken by the time we got there. If you go during the week it will be much less crowded.

I suggest the Pine Barrens. I’ve only paddled the Mullica, but it’s a great river for watching wildlife up close. It’s a narrow, twisty river, full of beaver dams and blowdowns. In all the times I’ve been on it, I’ve only ever seen a handful of other paddlers total, and have always had the campsite to myself. Then again, I usually go during the week and not the weekend for that very reason.

If you paddle the Pine Barrens make sure that the water levels are adequate. The Mullica can get pretty low during a hot, dry summer.

Both rivers are great, but the Mullica gets my vote for giving you the true wilderness feel.

That sounds about right…
I like those types of rivers and agree it would probably be more enjoyable to be able to see more animals. Correct me if I’m wrong but it sounds like the river would be suitable for paddling back to the launch site or would you need to get a ride back?

Maybe
You might consider camping at Lake Atsion, and try the real “wilderness” paddle for next time. This way you could test your gear and techniques, and have some “extra” stuff in the car.

I guess you could paddle upstream and take out at the spot you launched at in the Pine Barrens, but most paddlers there take out downstream of where they put in. That means a shuttle with your paddling buddies, or arranging for canoe livery service.

What I’m saying is: I applaud your intentions and want to encourage you, but am suggesting that you should start with a little less ambitious agenda.

Maybe I’m wrong. (My wife says that has been known to happen)

Jeff

going up river
There are plenty of places you can paddle upstream and return for a round trip, but not many. The rivers in the pines are flatwater, but the water moves swiftly in most places. About the only place you could do this and camp (legally) would be to put in at Atsion lake and paddle upstream to Goshen Pond campground, however this would be a short trip. If you check with some of the outfitters/rental places in the area, they may still run shuttle services. One place you might want to call is Bell Haven 1-800-445-0953 http://www.belhavencanoe.com and ask if they still do shuttles or know who does.

Another way to shuttle is to lock a bicycle up at the take out (preferably hiden in the woods) and shuttle yourself.

Vince

Let’s remember, everybody…
We’re talking about taking a couple of nieces, aged nine years old and seven years old.

I Know The Delaware Well
The Upper Delaware is crowded on weekends. If your looking for some mild class II, go between Skinners and Robling Bridge. More quiet water is downriver of Shohola / Barryville.

There is a livery every 5 miles or so. Detailed river maps are available for $15 from the Delaware River Basin Commission.

Happy Paddling

I Know The Delaware Well
The Upper Delaware is crowded on weekends but great through the week. I spend almost every day somewhere on the river. If your looking for some mild class II, go between Skinners and Robling Bridge. More quiet water is downriver of Shohola / Barryville.

There is a livery every 5 miles or so. Detailed river maps are available for $15 from the Delaware River Basin Commission.

Happy Paddling