Ozark Spring Rendezvous 2021 - Buffalo River, AR

The sites at Ozark are all first come, first served and there are no hookups and no dump station. However, it is permissible to park an RV along the circle drive near the actual campsites. At least it has been done before and the campground host did not seem to have an issue with it.

If you need hookups Dogwood Springs Campground has them. It is 10 miles from Ozark Campground on the north side of Jasper, AR:

Thanks, I’ll pass to my friends if they want to join. I’m tenting and hope to get there early to make sure. I get my 2nd vaccine on the 22nd, so I’m all good to go - have my Dettol spray attached to the hip-
so am ready to travel

Planning on camping, canoeing & fishing. Maybe some exploring the waterfalls would be a fantastic idea for me.
I’m am wanting to see friends and family that I have not seen in a long time or haven’t paddled with in a long time.
See you all soon & bringing a friend

2 Likes

As I was researching Ozark Campground, never been there, this popped up:

Buildings, Shower Facilities, and Eden Falls Cave Remain Closed

[Alert 1 , Severity ,closure , Buildings, Shower Facilities, and Eden Falls Cave Remain Closed ](javascript:;)Due to social distancing concerns, shower facilities and public buildings at Buffalo National River remain closed. Eden Falls Cave on the Lost Valley Trail also remains closed until further notice.

Might be even more primitive than anticipated. Anybody know more about this?

Peter

There were never any shower facilities at Ozark Campground although there are at Tyler Bend Campground. All of the visitor center buildings at various locations remain closed. I messaged the NPS and indeed the shower facilities at Tyler Bend remain closed at this time.

Flush toilets and sinks remain open at the campground facilities that have them, including Ozark Campground.

I plan to be at the Rendezvous May 5-9. I’m up for an overnight trip also. I’ve had my shots and will bring my old suburban. So there will be room for an extra boat or two plus riders. I’ll follow the latest Covid precautions from the CDC. Right now they have eased up for small gatherings where most people had had their vaccinations. Looking forward to great weather, water, and friends.
Dan

I sent you a PM.

Have fun guys and gals. Will miss seeing you but we just got home from a cross country trip and are now working through the vaccination process.
We can’t duck out of the food bank so soon again also.

Eric and I are planning on joining you. I’m fully vaccinated and he might be by then as well. We miss seeing you all and look forward to the trip. this past year has really drilled into me the importance of friends and our times together.

One question: I can’t quite tell by reading the posts. Where would be the best place to camp and can we make reservations early? It’s been a long time since we’ve been there and I forget!

Rena, I think most people plan to camp at Ozark Campground and the sites there are all first come, first served and can’t be reserved.

Pete, his shoulder is not great. He sees the ortho doc on 4/23. He thinks he can paddle, it’s just getting boats on the truck. We tested it last night and we got them up there, we had to stand on step stools so he wouldn’t have to lift all the way over his head as he can’t extend his arm all the way up. But paddle stroke motion doesn’t hurt. Even if he can’t paddle he still plans on coming and would just hike. So we’ll see what the doc says. Looking forward to seeing everyone and paddling, this is late in the year for us to start paddling.

Seems like I don’t check this site often enough - there IS a Rendezvous planned this year! But, of course, the NORTHERN US border remains closed - I’ve not been able to exit Alaska with a canoe since 2019 (I did fly out to Florida for Christmas/New Years, and kayaked around Melbourne several times). I often think about you folks and miss seeing and paddling with you very much.
Brad

2 Likes

Do you guys ever camp on the trail?

Rob has done an overnight hiking trip and would like to do more. I have not.

I’m planning on getting there earlier to make sure I get a spot! Look foward to seeing all and sorry to miss others. I’m fully vaccinated. Vicky

I am not going to be able to make the Spring Rendezvous this year. I had my doctor visit this week and discussed going to the Rendezvous with him. While I had my second Moderna vaccination three weeks ago and am past the waiting period I am considered at high risk in at least three categories. While I am not concerned about Covid exposure while at the Rendezvous we have concerns about staying in a motel on the way down and on the way back. It’s been years since I could make it down to the Rendezvous or back without overnight stops.

I have been staying on our property since the first week in March of last year except for doctor appointments, filling prescriptions, and picking up groceries at the drive up service. While I haven’t been on a river since autumn of 2019 I am fortunate enough to have a seven acre pond on our property so the canoe has been getting wet and I still know how to drive it; well at least on still water. I’ll have to wait until later this year to see if I can remember how to handle moving water :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope to see you all at the Fall Rendezvous.

We’ll miss you Vic, hope to see you in the Fall.
Take care,
Pam and Rob

Vic, I’ll miss you. You’re one of the highlights of my trip and I was looking forward to catching up with you on more things than the river, like politics…!

Brad, can you exit Alaska without a canoe? If so, I’ll bet someone can provide! Rena

Thanks Pete!