P and H Scorpio vs. Valley Etain

I would like some advice and feedback about the P and H Scorpio MKII (MV and HV) vs. Valley Etain (17’ 7" and 17’ 5"):

Looking to purchase a new boat and was wondering if anyone has experience using these boats?

I currently have a Prijon 520 HV but I am looking to make the switch to a skeg boat and something that may be a little more agile/playful but still in the touring class.

I am 6’ 2" and 230lbs so I was wondering if a larger person has any experience with the MV vs. HV of these boat models.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody out there?

Go with the Scorpio HV.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection
Instagram: www.instagram.com/marshall.seddon

Any explanation why? Do you have experience paddling both? Pros/Cons?
Thanks.

If you haven’t seen these two reviews, perhaps they will help:

1 Like

Lots

A quick search will find lots of reviews of both kayaks.

I had carried the Valley boats at The River Connection for a time but had never brought the Etain in in poly as it was beyond heavy and too hard of tracking.

I started a lot of law enforcement types in the Scorpio HV for Operationdeepblue.org as a kayak that couldn’t easily be outgrown.

Rather than type away, schedule a time to come out to play.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

I have owned several plastic Valley Kayaks. All way to heavy. I owned the predecessor Nordkapp RM . It was sluggish, getting up to speed. Not bad at maintaining a cruising speed. But getting more speed took a lot more effort. I sold it a few years ago. My latest Valley mistake, was buying a new closeout Sirona 15.10 RM. I bought it over the internet, from a place ~1000 miles away. It is heavier than advertised. You can feel the weight, in/out of the water. Very sluggish at getting up to speed. Sluggish at picking up surf waves. Be careful with Valley plastic.

With that said, I love my Nordkapp LV and Avocet composites. But doubtful I would buy another Valley Plastic .

Are you considering fiberglass/composite boats or just rotomolded? The P&H Cetus comes to mind you see…

Hello NJR, I’m no expert paddler but I have had the opportunity to try each of these boats. I agree that composite boats would be the way to go if you could swing it, but as for the 2 you’re comparing and going by your size, you’d certainly be happier in the larger of either brand. I own the etain 17.7 and the Scorpio MKIIMV I got from Marshall (The River Connection. Thanks!) . I love both, but if I had to choose, the Scorpio is hard to beat. Definitely tracks better than my etain, but not enough to make much difference in most of my paddling. But if I signed up for A long haul, I’d take the Scorpio. The Corelite X is a fairly lite but strong material. I’m very happy with it. You should try the next size up!