P&H Cetus LV compared with Scorpio LV

Well no paddling today, sadly, but I did just spend a little time adjusting the outfitting. I discovered that there is no way my skirt is going to work for this boat. It’s odd, because IR recommends this size skirt for this boat.

Any recommendations for a skirt that doesn’t need to handle whitewater? I’m thinking I might be SOL for actually finding one in stock anywhere, so I’ll be skirtless for a while. Oy.

1 Like

I’ve liked Seals but it looks like the 1.3 is a rare beast. You might contact them & ask where and/or how to get one.

1 Like

Might be more trouble than you want but here are plans for a DIY skirt: How to make a spray skirt

2 Likes

What size was the skirt that you tried but didn’t fit? If you don’t need anything super water tight, usually going up one size is OK. So a Seals 1.4 should be fine instead of the 1.3 that is called for. I have borrowed a Scorpio a couple of times and probably used one of my skirts (which would have been a 1.4) and I don’t recall it being a problem. I use a 1.7 on my Gemini (which calls for a 1.4) and it works fine.

3 Likes

Thanks, @rival51 and @Brodie.

So it’s the damnedest thing… the IR skirt I have here is their previous XL cockpit size, which is evidently now their L size. According to their tool it should fit this boat. It previously fit my Rockpool and also my Dagger WW boat. It has NO hope of getting on the Scorpio. Not even if Jason Momoa tries it. I measured my new boat to make sure the size is right in IR’s tool, and it is. I’m waiting to hear back from IR, but I suspect this skirt shrunk like a mofo. I haven’t used it in a long while - I was using my Snapdragon skirt that I sadly/stupidly gave away with my Dagger when I sold it this Summer. It’s crazy how much too small this skirt is. It’s also very tight on my body and I am the same size as always. IR confirmed they changed their sizing and that their Large should fit the new boat, but no explanation (yet) as to why the XL does not. I’ve concluded it shrank. By A LOT. It’s just been hanging on a hook in my garage, never machine washed or dried or any weirdness.

I also reached out to Seals and they are telling me the Scorpio LV requires a custom size. Their tool comes back with “*1.3” and evidently the asterisk indicates a kayak requires a custom made skirt. I don’t believe this, though. I think they might no longer make 1.4…? Or their tool is broken? Color me frustrated.

I know a place in Hyde Park NY that has one Seals Odyssey 1.4 remaining.

How do I know that? Hmmmmmmmm… :thinking:

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: Redirecting...
Instagram: Login • Instagram

1 Like

So the 1.4 is the right size for the LV?

Yes. You want a photo of said skirt on a Scorpio LV? It can be arranged. Tomorrow.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Email: marshall@the-river-connection.com
Facebook: Redirecting...
Instagram: Login • Instagram

1 Like

I believe you! Thank you, Marshall. I generally custom order my skirts, though, because I need a stupidly small and short tunnel. This shrunken skirt might work for an 11 year old now… if even. I’ll look at that model and reach out via PM if I think it’ll work for me.

1 Like

I’ve had the rands on some skirts tighten up over time and not fit after a while, particularly tight fitting neoprene

1 Like

Oh my god thank you for this sanity check! As I wrote to IR, I feel like someone slipped LSD into my coffee.

Seals fit tool has some issues. They call for a 1.4 for my Delphin 150 for skirts but 1.7 for cockpit covers. The 1.4 is correct for the skirt AND for the cover. Given that the Delphin and the Scorpio are both P&H RM kayaks I wouldn’t be too surprised to find the coamings were the same. I’ll drop mine down tomorrow & take a couple om measurements. I need to juggle boats around a bit anyway so that’s no problem.

1 Like

Thanks. Also?

I’ve never had this right and no one has ever called me out for “combing.” :clown_face: The coaming on my Rockpool was quite sharp so nothing ever tried to pop off of it. But the (unknown) size of the cover is just fine for the new boat (after I loosened the bungee a bit). I’m glad I didn’t lose it last night.

The Odyssey has a flexible tunnel and taut deck so it’ll adjust to whatever height torso you have. Polyurethane material is stretchy and tough.

Video review of it on my FB page from aways back.

1 Like

And don’t even get me started on this one….

1 Like

I’ll check it out.

I guess I won’t be working on much of anything other than staying upright when I paddle the new kayak tomorrow. Of course it’s always a good idea to practice self rescue in a new vessel, so perhaps I may as well since I’ll be skirtless.

Shrinkage is real?? I thought it was just an excuse.

1 Like

I was in the pool!!!

2 Likes

Roto combings are thicker and rounder than composite combings and don’t cling on as well as composite.

1 Like

here is the length & Width of my Delphin 150 cockpit - outer edge of lip:
L = 33.75
W = 18.88

2 Likes